1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Obsessed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nissan Rogue Sport

RogueSportForum.com - The Largest Nissan Rogue Sport Forum, Community And Owner's Club

Rant Follows:

Months ago my wife and I were in the market to replace her 2010 VW TDI Sportwagen 6M (Diesel) which we will be selling back to VW as a result of the emissions event.

The Rogue was crossed off our list because it's offered only with a CVT Auto. Her TDI is a 6-Speed Manual and a CVT Auto would be a completely unacceptable buzz kill.

Being a Nissan fan, I heard news of the all new Rogue Sport and followed its press releases, then eagerly dove in on the specifications only to find that the Rogue Sport offers only the same drivetrain as the Rogue.

Bummer! I guess I can't fault Nissan for not offering a true driver's edition of the Rogue, as it's been a very successful vehicle for the brand, BUT it would have been nice.

We chose a 2017 VW Golf Wolfsburg 5M.

2006 SE CC 4x2 6-Speed 4.0L w/Power Package & ABLS, Red Brawn, Nissan Step Rails, Hood Protector and Worn Out OE Soft Tonneau, Clarion CX501, Stock Speakers, Pioneer TS-T110 Tweeters and LED Reverse Lights

Last edited by Administrator; 08-04-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:29 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
Well when you have the best selling vehicle (non truck) in the USA, you don't mess with it .

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:04 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The new Rogues are great vehicles. We see zero problems with them at the dealership. We plan on getting one here in the next month for my wife.

D.J.
2015 Crew cab long bed
1979 Datsun 620
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:35 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzIngarage View Post
Maybe not as trouble-free as the Rogue over the long run, but one HECK of a lot more fun to own...

Life is too short to drive boring cars.

2012 Super Black Crew Cab SV 2WD, Shrockworks bumpers, sliders & skids; Retrax Pro bed cover, Hypertech Max Energy Power Programmer, Yaesu FT-7900R 2m/70cm ham radio, Joying Dual-DIN Android head unit, Katana LED headlamp bulbs, Morimoto & RUN-D LED driving lights, Diode Dynamics LED exterior bulbs
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibane View Post
Maybe not as trouble-free as the Rogue over the long run, but one HECK of a lot more fun to own...

Life is too short to drive boring cars.
Yep! That's the same philosophy that brought us to our decision -- we test drove a Golf 5M and had a blast. The gearbox on our TDI 6M is exceptionally crisp and the Golf's 5M is just as nice and its turbo is quickly on tap at 1500 RPM and offers a flat curve all the way up.

Car & Driver wrote of the 1.8T that "on paper, you might think the five-speed manual is one cog short of its competitorsí transmissions, but the turbo mill is so torque-rich that five ratios cover the waterfront amply". At 75 MPH, it turns at ~ 2,300 RPM, which isn't too bad.

Interestingly, the 2.0T in the GTI and R share a lot of the same parts as our 1.8T (they have the same bore) and web pages are packed full of speed parts usable on both engines. Could be fun.

It's no tire shredding monster, but it definitely ranks high on the fun scale. It's on order now and we'll hopefully have it by the end of May.

2006 SE CC 4x2 6-Speed 4.0L w/Power Package & ABLS, Red Brawn, Nissan Step Rails, Hood Protector and Worn Out OE Soft Tonneau, Clarion CX501, Stock Speakers, Pioneer TS-T110 Tweeters and LED Reverse Lights
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:54 AM
Shift_Newbie

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
There's the Juke NISMO RS if you want as sporty as you can get without being a Z.... test drove one (with the CVT) and liked it better than the Mazda MX-5 miata (the new ND is just way too floppy, even in Club Sport spec). Very much reminds me of my Scion FR-S if you turned a Toyota sports car into a Nissan Sports CUV. Chassis was very controlled and inputs were quick and direct. Have the same seat from the factory that I put in my FR-S too (Recaro Sportster CS). The chassis of the NISMO RS is very sport hatchback in feel and the 6 speed manual has torsen limited slip differential. The Juke NISMO RS was the weirdest car I've driven, more fun than a miata (even with the CVT version) and almost as fun as an FR-S while being up high in a small CUV thing. If only it were available RWD and had a normally aspirated larger displacement 4 cylinder motor I would have one in an instant.

2015 Juke NISMO RS review

'13 KC SV, V6, 6spd manual, 2WD

Last edited by Vracer111; 04-21-2017 at 11:08 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Obsessed

The Juke does look like a lot of fun. We eagerly looked at it, but unfortunately had to cross it off the list because of its 10.5 CuFt luggage capacity, which was small for us. Golf offers 22.8 CuFt and Mazda3 22.2 CuFt.

The Following User Says Thank You to FitzIngarage For This Useful Post:
Contra (04-27-2017)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 10:54 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
In Canada it keeps the Qashqai name, looks like a nice vehicle but I'm not sold on crossovers.

Nice choice with the Golf. I'd likely have ended up with a Mazda 3 GT 2.5L 6MT.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryno_7 For This Useful Post:
FitzIngarage (04-27-2017)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 01:10 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I've got an old 08 Mazda 3 hatchback. It's been a nice and fun little car. It's pretty zippy too. I'm still driving it and my new fronty for the next couple of years but I'm passing it down to my kid here in two years once she's old enough to drive. I liked the cx5 too and if I hadn't decided on the fronty and keeping the car for the kid I would've bought one of those.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 08:43 PM
Shift_lurker

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzIngarage View Post
Rant Follows:

Months ago my wife and I were in the market to replace her 2010 VW TDI Sportwagen 6M (Diesel) which we will be selling back to VW as a result of the emissions event.

The Rogue was crossed off our list because it's offered only with a CVT Auto. Her TDI is a 6-Speed Manual and a CVT Auto would be a completely unacceptable buzz kill.

Being a Nissan fan, I heard news of the all new Rogue Sport and followed its press releases, then eagerly dove in on the specifications only to find that the Rogue Sport offers only the same drivetrain as the Rogue.

Bummer! I guess I can't fault Nissan for not offering a true driver's edition of the Rogue, as it's been a very successful vehicle for the brand, BUT it would have been nice.

I had the opportunity to drive a Rogue Sport today, and we (2 co-workers and me) were commenting on how the Sport in Rogue Sport is a bit misleading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Gary

The fleet:
2017 CC Pro4X Glacier White
2006 Suburban 2500 4x4
2006 Yukon XL 1500 4x4
1974 Bronco (resto project)

I work for Nissan North America; any views or opinions presented by this acccount are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in