Not much for Frontier engine performance parts? - Page 2 - Nissan Frontier Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:36 AM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
there is plenty if you look and willing to mod and spend $$. after all I built a 4.0 back in 2012 still running hard AF with billet rods, forged pistons, gapless rings, ARP studs. stage 2 cams, a Ken Bell 2.6l super charger, walbro 255 fuel pump, 1000cc injectors, uprev tune and 475hp from the 4.0 @12psi. As already stated theres a lot that works from the 3.5
LennyG and LennyG like this.

"Understeer, when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer, when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower, how fast you hit the wall. Torque, how far you take the wall with you."

0-60 video P4070007 - YouTube

OWNER BUILT REAR BUMPER AND TIRE CARRIER
OMF street-locked Nismo wheels, 456 GEARS
Shrock skids, winch bumper, 9500# winch.PRG 10 leaf packs, Radflos, BFG KM2 305/70/16
Confer roof rack, aluminum tool boxes, Piaa 525 driving/fog, projector HID headlights, and fogs, Carbon fiber grill sliders, crossdrilled rotors, EBC pads, 1 touch windows. Owner built engine and Custom fit Ken Bell Super Charger. NISMO T stat, UPREV http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn1EvGKO1Yo
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRUTAL For This Useful Post:
13frontierDR (04-14-2019), JCKeppel (04-13-2019), LennyG (04-13-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not looking to get radical with engine mods at all really. Just air intake, exhaust system, and intake manifold spacer, and a good local company to fine tune the electronics as I make changes.

If I can, I'd like to start with the tuning on the stock system as a benchmark, then re-visit the tune shop as things are added, to see just how much change we get out of each upgrade.

In order, I would go:

1. Benchmark tune
  2. Exhaust
  3. Tune
  4. Intake
  5. Tune
  6. Manifold spacer
  7. Tune

I work in West Chicago, I'm going to look for a performance shop nearby there and talk to them about my ideas.

Yeah, looking at the stock exhaust plumbing, that Y-pipe collector design looks like a real restrictive choke point.
Very ugly.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMK14 View Post
What are your looking for? Heads, injectors, intake manifold, pistons... it seems like some of the 350Z engine parts would work.

Up-Rev seems the be the tuning of choice of the frontier.

This thread has some info on engine performance https://www.thenewx.org/forum/11-pow...-upgrades.html
Ah - "Stage 1" would be my goal, at least for now. It's a daily driver (100 mile a day commute) that will see some moderate off-road weekend-warrior fun, and an occasional cross-country road trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 06:38 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Thanked 1,078 Times in 794 Posts
Garage
I liove horsepower!!! Plenty of power with my pretty much stock motor.
My suspension can barely handle the horsepower now.
Always interested to hear what is available .
LennyG and LennyG like this.

2007 S model,V6,6MT. Options ordered ,alloy wheels,
Window nets. Lowrance gen 5 and Lowrance gen 7 GPS. Kenwood TK-790 vhf radio. PCI intercom.Autometer Elite gauges.Parker Pumper. Mastercraft Pro4 seats. Crowe 5 point harness.SCORE Legal Roll cage.
BTF Fabrication uca, lca arms. BTF axles. Radflo bump stops. Fox 2.5, 8" travel, reservoir shocks(front). 18" Eibach springs. Fox,2.5, 14" travel, 3 valve by pass shocks.
Fuel Safe 32 gal fuel cell. Bedcage.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:16 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to invasion08
Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyG View Post
Not looking to get radical with engine mods at all really. Just air intake, exhaust system, and intake manifold spacer, and a good local company to fine tune the electronics as I make changes.

If I can, I'd like to start with the tuning on the stock system as a benchmark, then re-visit the tune shop as things are added, to see just how much change we get out of each upgrade.

In order, I would go:

1. Benchmark tune
  2. Exhaust
  3. Tune
  4. Intake
  5. Tune
  6. Manifold spacer
  7. Tune

I work in West Chicago, I'm going to look for a performance shop nearby there and talk to them about my ideas.

Yeah, looking at the stock exhaust plumbing, that Y-pipe collector design looks like a real restrictive choke point.
Very ugly.

Every performance part you mentioned is available for the frontier.

2011 CCLB 4X4 Auto
PRG Basic Suspension Package
XTP IMS, Gibson Exhaust, Airaid Intake, UpRev Tuned, Bakflip F1 , Line X Bed Liner
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to invasion08 For This Useful Post:
LennyG (04-13-2019), whistler (04-13-2019)
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:12 PM
Shift_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Uprev dyno tune is the best bang for the buck IMO. That paired with a decent intake, IMS, and exhaust set-up should take about a second off your 1/4 mile time.

2013 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner CC auto: Rough Country 2.5" leveling kit, Doug Thorley long tube headers, XTP IMS, AEM dry flow drop in filter, Uprev dyno tuned by Z Fever, DT B pipes with magnaflow cats. 245whp 263wtq.
The Following User Says Thank You to 13frontierDR For This Useful Post:
LennyG (04-13-2019)
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:19 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyG View Post

In order, I would go:

1. Benchmark tune
  2. Exhaust
  3. Tune
  4. Intake
  5. Tune
  6. Manifold spacer
  7. Tune

Very ugly.
Cat back Exhaust is easy, banks, magnaflow, flow master etc take your pick. Xtm make a Manifold spacer. Lots of air intakes are available but Im pretty sure the 5.7 v8 Titan uses the same air intake as the frontier so a better flowing filter for the stock housing might be money better spent.

You might want to look at headers to if your going to custom tune it.

2014 Frontier CC SV Long Box, OME HD, PRG Deaver AAL, ARB Bullbar, M8000 Winch, 20" Rigid Industries E-series light bar, 50" Curved LED roof Light bar, Vision-X Light Canons, 285/75R16 Nitto Trail Grapplers, bed rack with Yakima Load warrior basket, Northwest Com. seat covers, Kurgo pet barrier, P3 brake controller, Weather tech floor mats, Trailer brake wiring relocation, Rear axle vent relocated, Blue sea fuse blocks.
The Following User Says Thank You to GMK14 For This Useful Post:
LennyG (04-13-2019)
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:19 PM
Shift_Newbie

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
The intake by itself might not be worth it, but paired with exhaust modifications and a tune it will free up much more hp. If you want to go with the best bang for the buck, then a drop in filter, IMS, dual in/single out muffler with a decent tune will work. If you're wanting to get more involved than that, such as headers and B pipes, then I would say an aftermarket intake would compliment that nicely.

2013 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner CC auto: Rough Country 2.5" leveling kit, Doug Thorley long tube headers, XTP IMS, AEM dry flow drop in filter, Uprev dyno tuned by Z Fever, DT B pipes with magnaflow cats. 245whp 263wtq.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13frontierDR View Post
The intake by itself might not be worth it, but paired with exhaust modifications and a tune it will free up much more hp. If you want to go with the best bang for the buck, then a drop in filter, IMS, dual in/single out muffler with a decent tune will work. If you're wanting to get more involved than that, such as headers and B pipes, then I would say an aftermarket intake would compliment that nicely.
I'm not looking to go crazy nuts, just optimize what we have without spending a shitload of $$ Getting the good air in, the bad air out, and tweaking the way it all burns...
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM
Shift_lurker

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Probably because it's a N/A V6, good luck getting noticeable gains without forced induction.
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis9935 For This Useful Post:
LennyG (Today)

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Performance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in