Pickle Slice's 2018 Frontier SV CC build thread. - Page 12 - Nissan Frontier Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by raine View Post
Passive setups have built-in limitations that make tuning much easier. A DSP is pretty much a must if you want to properly go active, because you need to have control of each driver independently. Active setups require tinkering with each and every driver individually from HU to driver, and each driver has its own "sweet spot" with regards to frequency response, output level, phase, and EQ.

In other words, you can't just apply the same EQ to both front tweeters and expect it to sound good.

One thing I noticed about your current settings... you have your tweeter channels crossed over at the HU... I'm assuming you removed the inline filters from the Alpine tweeter wires first, right?

Second, you're running TA at 3.94-ft for EVERYTHING, which explains why your setup doesn't sound that good - combine that with zero level matching (the 5th screenshot) and your system setup isn't even close to being finished yet.]

You did mention that your components only cost $100, but that doesn't mean that the tweeters are crap - I think they're just not tuned correctly yet, especially since you're diving into active. You shouldn't be able to "locate" where the tweeter is if it's tuned right.... tweeter's are just supposed to fill in the highest frequencies and help with the stage level. Most of your music should be coming from the midrange speakers.

Going active isn't easy. With active you have to go through all of the variables for all of the drivers one by one, it won't happen in a day.
I did remove the filters, but left them installed in my doors if I decided to go back, which I may, until I get a standalone DSP.

With the TA, I don't know why it shows that. The MS is all zeroed out, yet it shows 4 ft...no idea why. I've tried to turn it off completely for testing, and do not see how it is possible. My only options are left, right and all, and then I'm able to manually adjust front there. Also with the TA, I've got all the proper measurements, but for some reason the headunit maintains a ratio and auto adjusts the others when changing one.

I can adjust the gain and level of each speaker individually through the HU DSP, I just need to take the time to learn all this with REW I think. I think I can get it close. As you said before, I don't think I can do all this bye ear like I'm used to, at least at my skill level, lol.

It's all a learning experience and even with the frustrations, I enjoy this stuff.

Sent from my OnePlus 6t using Tapatalk

2018 Nissan Frontier | JVC KW-740BT | Active front stage - Alpine S-S69C, Sound Ordnance M75-4 | All Knu Konceptz OFC wiring

My Build Thread - Lots of audio stuff!
Check out my Frontier upgrades photo album.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Garage
I was able to get a handle on the TA. It was user error, but we're not gonna talk about that. Stage is a little low so I'll need to do a bit more tweaking, but this has already made it bearable for the time being.

Sent from my OnePlus 6t using Tapatalk

2018 Nissan Frontier | JVC KW-740BT | Active front stage - Alpine S-S69C, Sound Ordnance M75-4 | All Knu Konceptz OFC wiring

post #113 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:43 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Thanked 1,376 Times in 914 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How did you measure, from where to where? those numbers look way off for some reason...

- Raine.

This is my truck.
This is my NEW weekend ride.

Read: The End-All Guide to Camber Bolts and UCAs for 2nd-Gen Lifted Frontiers

TYPE 2014 CC SV 4x4 VTP COLOR NIGHT ARMOR LIFT 3.5"/2.5" NAME KEIRA

SUSP: Custom King Shocks . Total Chaos . Level-8 . Deaver . Nisstec . Bilstein . PRG . BF Goodrich
EXT: Rigid Industries . P&P . PIAA . White Knuckle . White Rhino . Truxedo . Firestik . BlueSea
A/V: DNX-892 . TWK-88 . PDX-V9 . HSK-165 . DCX-165.3 . 2x 10TW1-4 . 2x Cameras . Super NES
MODS: Reservoir Mounts . Power Tailgate Lock . Custom CB Antenna Mount . Trailer Plug Relocate
MORE: Midland . UltraGauge . Raingler . Working OEM SWC, Bluetooth, USB . Some Cool Stickers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
How did you measure, from where to where? those numbers look way off for some reason...
I measured from the center of each speaker to the center of my face and plugged those numbers into here

The measurements are:

LT: 35" RT: 45.5"
LM: 39" RM: 51"

Last edited by Pickle Slice; 04-18-2019 at 02:12 PM.
post #115 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:09 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
Nevermind it depends on how you sit in your truck... you must sit a lot closer to the steering wheel than I do.

If you want to experiment, try this:

- measure ALL LEFT side drivers from the center of cone (not grille) to your LEFT ear
- measure ALL RIGHT side drivers from the center of cone (not grille) to your RIGHT ear

Personally I don't do the "center of face" or "center of headrest" method, because my ears are not there

- Raine.

This is my truck.

SUSP: Custom King Shocks . Total Chaos . Level-8 . Deaver . Nisstec . Bilstein . PRG . BF Goodrich
EXT: Rigid Industries . P&P . PIAA . White Knuckle . White Rhino . Truxedo . Firestik . BlueSea
A/V: DNX-892 . TWK-88 . PDX-V9 . HSK-165 . DCX-165.3 . 2x 10TW1-4 . 2x Cameras . Super NES
MODS: Reservoir Mounts . Power Tailgate Lock . Custom CB Antenna Mount . Trailer Plug Relocate
MORE: Midland . UltraGauge . Raingler . Working OEM SWC, Bluetooth, USB . Some Cool Stickers
post #116 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Nevermind it depends on how you sit in your truck... you must sit a lot closer to the steering wheel than I do.

If you want to experiment, try this:

- measure ALL LEFT side drivers from the center of cone (not grille) to your LEFT ear
- measure ALL RIGHT side drivers from the center of cone (not grille) to your RIGHT ear

Personally I don't do the "center of face" or "center of headrest" method, because my ears are not there
Ha, I used to not, but I do now so my knucklehead son can get into his car seat.

Good idea. I'll add an additional 2" to each mid measurement, and about a .5" per tweeter measurement.

post #117 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Garage
@raine ,

In this post, how did you mount the racks under your front seats? I currently have my amp on nylon standoffs under the driver seat on top of the rear A/C vent.

I had this same idea for the racks under the seats and you implemented it very well. The only thing I've been fighting with is how to mount them.

post #118 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:25 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Slice View Post
@raine ,

In this post, how did you mount the racks under your front seats? I currently have my amp on nylon standoffs under the driver seat on top of the rear A/C vent.

I had this same idea for the racks under the seats and you implemented it very well. The only thing I've been fighting with is how to mount them.
I built a small table-like board underneath the factory carpet, with legs cut to match the cabin floor, secured with a couple screws. The actual cloth-covered platforms/racks are on top of the factory carpet, and bolted to that "table" underneath the factory carpet - effectively sandwiching the factory carpet. The sandwich keeps the racks in place.

- Raine.

This is my truck.

post #119 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
I built a small table-like board underneath the factory carpet, with legs cut to match the cabin floor, secured with a couple screws. The actual cloth-covered platforms/racks are on top of the factory carpet, and bolted to that "table" underneath the factory carpet - effectively sandwiching the factory carpet. The sandwich keeps the racks in place.
Secured into the floorboard?

post #120 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:33 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Slice View Post
Secured into the floorboard?
Sorry - I meant the legs are screwed to the table part. The platforms aren't bolted to the truck/cabin, the "sandwich" described above + some wooden supports in key places + the weight of the components themselves keep the racks securely in place.
Pickle Slice likes this.

- Raine.

This is my truck.

The Following User Says Thank You to raine For This Useful Post:
Pickle Slice (04-19-2019)

Nissan Frontier Forum > Build Threads > 2nd Gen Frontier Builds

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in