Shift_Hardcore
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladehopper82 View Post
Plus $7 something for shipping... I paid $18+ from the dealer shipped...more than the cost of the key...haha.
I just did this swap (pics to come) and I used one of my factory transponders and one of my factory emblems instead, wasn't about to pay $20 for a small emblem I already had.

- Raine.

"...doesn't look like anything to me."
click above for my build thread

TYPE CREW CAB SV 4x4 COLOR NIGHT ARMOR LIFT 3.5"/2.5" NAME KEIRA

SUSP: Custom King Shocks . Total Chaos . Level-8 . BF Goodrich . Deaver . Nisstec . Bilstein . PRG
EXT: White Knuckle . PIAA . Truxedo . White Rhino . Firestik . Morimoto . Mitsuba . Evoc . BlueSea
A/V: Hertz Audio . JL Audio . Kenwood . Alpine . Dynamat . Fr/Rr Cameras
MODS: Power Tailgate Lock . Custom CB Antenna Mount . Trailer Plug Relocate . Diff Breather Mod
MORE: Midland . UltraGauge . Raingler . Working OEM SWC, Bluetooth, USB . Some Stickers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:44 AM
Shift_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I ordered from the above link. I have yet to use/have the key cut. Sharing some observations on quality. Inspecting the key that I received the plating on the base of the blade (where it enters the fob) is partially missing - it almost looks like the blade was superglued in addition to being pinned into the metal pivot and there was a reaction to the plating. The flip action is not quite as smooth as my Acura's switchblade, but seems to be improving as I play with it more. I've held off on giving up my Rogue key, which contains my valet transponder, until I have more certainty over the quality. I'd probably jump in using it if there was an easy way to dig out a transponder from one of the two original non-valet keys as I could see myself still wanting to retain the Rogue key I have, and the fail-safe of adding a second Rogue key if I become displeased with this switchblade. Has anyone dug out a transponder from the "normal" oem key?

2015 Pro-4X KC Metallic Blue
Weathertech floor liners; Undercover Flex tonneau; Added OEM Rope Hooks; Garage-sized OEM Antenna Mod; Blue tinted license plate covers; EZ-Down Tailgate Assist (which broke & has been removed); Dee Zee Bed Mat, Curt tow bar/hitch, OEM rear wind deflectors
post #33 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:25 PM
Shift_Hardcore
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobandCec View Post
I ordered from the above link. I have yet to use/have the key cut. Sharing some observations on quality. Inspecting the key that I received the plating on the base of the blade (where it enters the fob) is partially missing - it almost looks like the blade was superglued in addition to being pinned into the metal pivot and there was a reaction to the plating. The flip action is not quite as smooth as my Acura's switchblade, but seems to be improving as I play with it more. I've held off on giving up my Rogue key, which contains my valet transponder, until I have more certainty over the quality. I'd probably jump in using it if there was an easy way to dig out a transponder from one of the two original non-valet keys as I could see myself still wanting to retain the Rogue key I have, and the fail-safe of adding a second Rogue key if I become displeased with this switchblade. Has anyone dug out a transponder from the "normal" oem key?
The one I received is pinned also, no play in it and no signs of anything resembling "superglue". There's no Nissan emblem on the back, so this is not genuine OEM, it is aftermarket. The flip action was a little tight at first also, but after opening the case (to put the transponder in) it now flips back and forth pretty smoothly.

I decided to dig the transponder out of one of my master keys, and it's not hard to do but understand that you have to destroy the master key housing to get to the transponder. I'm going to post pics in my build thread in a little bit.

- Raine.

SUSP: Custom King Shocks . Total Chaos . Level-8 . BF Goodrich . Deaver . Nisstec . Bilstein . PRG
EXT: White Knuckle . PIAA . Truxedo . White Rhino . Firestik . Morimoto . Mitsuba . Evoc . BlueSea
MODS: Power Tailgate Lock . Custom CB Antenna Mount . Trailer Plug Relocate . Diff Breather Mod
MORE: Midland . UltraGauge . Raingler . Working OEM SWC, Bluetooth, USB . Some Stickers
post #34 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:37 PM
Shift_Hardcore
Lifetime Member

Garage
Here's a pic of what i had to do to get the transponder out of the master key:

Full test and more pics can be seen in my build thread here.

- Raine.

The Following User Says Thank You to raine For This Useful Post:
BobandCec (01-14-2017)
post #35 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:19 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Location: From one cold place at the TOW to another lower cold place...
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raine View Post
Here's a pic of what i had to do to get the transponder out of the master key:

Full test and more pics can be seen in my build thread here.
That took a steady hand with the dremel.

I don't really want to take apart my keys; are the transponders all that expensive from the dealer (wonder if anyone has checked)?

'17 Frontier CC SV v6/6M 4x4 SB to compliment my TL1Ks and other stuff

...what to spend on first; suspension, armor, lighting?...the mod bug bites hard
post #36 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:22 PM
Shift_Hardcore
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&JPolangin View Post
That took a steady hand with the dremel.

I don't really want to take apart my keys; are the transponders all that expensive from the dealer (wonder if anyone has checked)?
I only used the Dremel to make a straight cut down the center of the housing on the non-emblem side. I used side cutters and cut the rest apart by hand, bit by bit because I didn't know yet where the transponder was located.

- Raine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raine For This Useful Post:
BobandCec (01-14-2017), J&JPolangin (01-11-2017)
post #37 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:26 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Location: From one cold place at the TOW to another lower cold place...
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Does this look like I lucked out and got a transponder with my switchblade key blank?

The transponder bay is full, I just hope it's not a piece of plastic!...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1874.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	229689  

'17 Frontier CC SV v6/6M 4x4 SB to compliment my TL1Ks and other stuff

...what to spend on first; suspension, armor, lighting?...the mod bug bites hard
post #38 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:04 AM
Shift_lurker

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
From earlier images in this post, it looks like there are 2 thin stiffening ribs inside the transponder bay. You may have lucked out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucky '13 Frontier Pro4x
post #39 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:03 AM
Shift_Hardcore
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&JPolangin View Post
Does this look like I lucked out and got a transponder with my switchblade key blank?

The transponder bay is full, I just hope it's not a piece of plastic!...
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my build thread - there was a transponder inside my flip key (there was one in the Rogue key too)... whether it is an actual transponder or not, you wouldn't know unless you took it to a dealer to get it programmed. However, what I do know is that the "transponder" inside the flip key (and the Rogue key) isn't programmed to any vehicle. So even if it's there, unless it can be programmed it's useless out of the package. That's why I just swapped my master key transponder in - because I know it's already programmed to my truck.

- Raine.

post #40 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:23 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42midNight View Post
ok this is a really slick upgrade to the bulky keyfob & key combo, but I have a stupid question. can you attach the switchblade key to your keyring? I dont see any holes.
Here's a picture of my key attached to a key ring.

2015 Arctic Blue Metallic Desert Runner Crew Cab
The Following User Says Thank You to racquetballer For This Useful Post:
Zedbra (01-12-2017)

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Interior Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.