LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Switchblade key swap out

Hello all,

I've read a lot of posts and I haven't really seen any that involved a successful switchblade key find. I have seen the Rogue all in one key, but that wasn't what I was looking for.

After searching ebay for different switchblade keys for the Frontier, most were generic. I found this one that had the Nissan logo cutout (without the actual logo in it) and did some research. Found one for $12.95 with free shipping, so I figured I would gamble on such a low price. After 2 weeks, I didn't receive the item and tracking showed I never received it. Contacted the seller and he sent another. A week later I got the second one. Then a week after that I got the first one...lol. Seller said keep it. I was able to program the buttons easy.

Well, I contacted a mobile keysmith. He stated $75 for each key cut & programmed. He got them cut, but couldn't program the chip... I had him cut a normal key and program...and he couldn't program it either...lol.

Went to the local Nissan dealer, they stated $128 or something like that for each key whether or not they could program...no thanks.

I had to take the truck back to the Dealer I bought from in East Tennessee for some maintenance, $50 for any amount of keys programmed! Deal. They were able to program both switchblade keys and the spare regular the mobile guy couldn't program!

Also purchased the emblem off a dealer website for $18+...for one, but now one key looks factory.

Hope this helps anyone else in the market. Well worth it in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	225593   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	225601   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	225609  
jj97blazer likes this.

'12 CC "Sport" | Running boards | Rustoleum Painted bed | Gentex rearview mirror with compass | Tinted front windows | Pioneer Avic 7200 NEX radio | Back up camera | Pathfinder illuminated steering wheel controls | Switchblade keys | All weather OEM Floor mats | Led bar rear tailgate light | white LED interior lights

Last edited by Bladehopper82; 12-11-2016 at 12:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 01:14 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Location: From one cold place at the TOW to another lower cold place...
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
...those look good, do you have a link to what you got off ebay for the key fobs?

'17 Frontier CC SV v6/6M 4x4 SB to compliment my TL1Ks and other stuff

...what to spend on first; suspension, armor, lighting?...the mod bug bites hard
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Hello,

This is the link to the guy I bought from. Although the original link is expired, it's the same guy.

Replacement for 2008-2016 Nissan Rogue Key Fob Remote, KBRASTU15 | eBay

'12 CC "Sport" | Running boards | Rustoleum Painted bed | Gentex rearview mirror with compass | Tinted front windows | Pioneer Avic 7200 NEX radio | Back up camera | Pathfinder illuminated steering wheel controls | Switchblade keys | All weather OEM Floor mats | Led bar rear tailgate light | white LED interior lights

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 09:24 PM
Shift_Hardcore
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Garage
That's cool - gives another option besides the regular Rogue Key mod.

I'm gonna guess these have a transponder (or a dummy one) inside just like the Rogue Key mod... which means if it does, you could also just swap the transponder over from the OEM Valet key and do the programming yourself per the numerous guides on the internets.

- Raine.

Keira is here.
click above for my build thread

TYPE CREW CAB SV 4x4 VTP COLOR NIGHT ARMOR LIFT 3.5"/2.5" NAME KEIRA

SUSP: Custom King Shocks . Total Chaos . Level-8 . Deaver . Nisstec . Bilstein . PRG . BF Goodrich
EXT: White Knuckle . PIAA . White Rhino . Truxedo . Firestik . BlueSea . Mitsuba
A/V: DNX-892 . TWK-88 . PDX-V9 . HSK-165XL . DCX-165.3 . 2x 10TW1-4 . Dynamat . 2x Cameras
MODS: Power Tailgate Lock . Custom CB Antenna Mount . Trailer Plug Relocate . Diff Breather Mod
MORE: Midland . UltraGauge . Raingler . Working OEM SWC, Bluetooth, USB . Some Cool Stickers
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by raine View Post
That's cool - gives another option besides the regular Rogue Key mod.

I'm gonna guess these have a transponder (or a dummy one) inside just like the Rogue Key mod... which means if it does, you could also just swap the transponder over from the OEM Valet key and do the programming yourself per the numerous guides on the internets.
I would imagine so. The transponder in the switchblade key is not easily removable, but I'm not sure if you need to remove it if you are just adding a different transponder and putting it in. Not sure if they would conflict with each other or not. That was going to be my back-up plan if the dealer couldn't program the transponder in it, have a regular key programmed and then I would cut out the chip.

I did not have a spare key and my truck was one that requires the transponder chip. I didn't think to ask the dealer if there was a spare key until after I bought it...smh.

post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 09:49 PM
Shift_Hardcore
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladehopper82 View Post
I would imagine so. The transponder in the switchblade key is not easily removable, but I'm not sure if you need to remove it if you are just adding a different transponder and putting it in. Not sure if they would conflict with each other or not. That was going to be my back-up plan if the dealer couldn't program the transponder in it, have a regular key programmed and then I would cut out the chip.

I did not have a spare key and my truck was one that requires the transponder chip. I didn't think to ask the dealer if there was a spare key until after I bought it...smh.
Even though I have the Rogue Key (built-in buttons) I might buy one of these just to try it out... might actually be better in the pocket when I go mountain biking, since the Rogue key still has the blade portion sticking out to stab at my leg.

BTW the transponder doesn't have to be "cut" out, it's in a small sliding tray:

Full post here.

- Raine.

Keira is here.

SUSP: Custom King Shocks . Total Chaos . Level-8 . Deaver . Nisstec . Bilstein . PRG . BF Goodrich
EXT: White Knuckle . PIAA . White Rhino . Truxedo . Firestik . BlueSea . Mitsuba
A/V: DNX-892 . TWK-88 . PDX-V9 . HSK-165XL . DCX-165.3 . 2x 10TW1-4 . Dynamat . 2x Cameras
MODS: Power Tailgate Lock . Custom CB Antenna Mount . Trailer Plug Relocate . Diff Breather Mod
MORE: Midland . UltraGauge . Raingler . Working OEM SWC, Bluetooth, USB . Some Cool Stickers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raine For This Useful Post:
rpcraft (12-12-2016), Zedbra (01-12-2017)
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 10:17 PM
R00
Shift_Fanatic

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by raine View Post
Even though I have the Rogue Key (built-in buttons) I might buy one of these just to try it out... might actually be better in the pocket when I go mountain biking, since the Rogue key still has the blade portion sticking out to stab at my leg.

BTW the transponder doesn't have to be "cut" out, it's in a small sliding tray:

Full post here.
My OEM 2012 key doesn't have a sliding tray, the thing is embedded. My Amazon cheapboatfromchina rogue key also has no tray. I'm going to give my opinion of 80% chance the dealer can program the transponder that comes in the switchblade. They will, of course, hem and haw and swear they can t, but they can. They will also warn you they will still charge you if they can't do it. Your call, but my dealer walked back in with the two programmed Rogue keys surprised as all get out.

For the most part, all motor vehicles across Nissan/Infiniti's brand line use the same transponder, btw.

/Edit/ Just looked at my Rogue key and realized there is a screw in the back, so it's transponder is likely accessible.

R00
a.k.a. MakTruk
Overland Bound #0912

"Enthusiasm is a dangerous replacement for experience." -- BCBrian
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 11:52 PM
Shift_Hardcore
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R00 View Post
My Amazon cheapboatfromchina rogue key also has no tray..

/Edit/ Just looked at my Rogue key and realized there is a screw in the back, so it's transponder is likely accessible.
I think it's safe to assume there has to be a spot for a transponder in there regardless, to work with the OEM security. Whether it's glued in or not, that's a different story heh

- Raine.

Keira is here.

post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 09:18 PM
Shift_Newbie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Do all have the transponder or just the crew cab with security?

2010 Night Armor Frontier SE Auto KC 2WD Stock

1995 Green LT1 Trans Am Vert w/ Konis, 4.10 rear, long tubes, ORY (Cat, AIR, & A/C removed)

2008 Storm Gray Fronter SE 6sp KC 2WD t-boned and totaled
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbenedict View Post
Do all have the transponder or just the crew cab with security?
From what I read, only the ones with a blinking key in car symbol on the dash (blinks when car is not on) has the transponder. I didn't read anything about CC vs KC so I don't think that matters. So if you are lucky, you may not have one.

Last edited by Bladehopper82; 12-15-2016 at 09:55 PM.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Interior Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.