Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Switchblade key swap out

45K views 107 replies 30 participants last post by  butterman2473 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I've read a lot of posts and I haven't really seen any that involved a successful switchblade key find. I have seen the Rogue all in one key, but that wasn't what I was looking for.

After searching ebay for different switchblade keys for the Frontier, most were generic. I found this one that had the Nissan logo cutout (without the actual logo in it) and did some research. Found one for $12.95 with free shipping, so I figured I would gamble on such a low price. After 2 weeks, I didn't receive the item and tracking showed I never received it. Contacted the seller and he sent another. A week later I got the second one. Then a week after that I got the first one...lol. Seller said keep it. I was able to program the buttons easy.

Well, I contacted a mobile keysmith. He stated $75 for each key cut & programmed. He got them cut, but couldn't program the chip... I had him cut a normal key and program...and he couldn't program it either...lol.

Went to the local Nissan dealer, they stated $128 or something like that for each key whether or not they could program...no thanks.

I had to take the truck back to the Dealer I bought from in East Tennessee for some maintenance, $50 for any amount of keys programmed! Deal. They were able to program both switchblade keys and the spare regular the mobile guy couldn't program!

Also purchased the emblem off a dealer website for $18+...for one, but now one key looks factory.

Hope this helps anyone else in the market. Well worth it in my opinion.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
#4 ·
That's cool - gives another option besides the regular Rogue Key mod.

I'm gonna guess these have a transponder (or a dummy one) inside just like the Rogue Key mod... which means if it does, you could also just swap the transponder over from the OEM Valet key and do the programming yourself per the numerous guides on the internets.

#5 ·
I would imagine so. The transponder in the switchblade key is not easily removable, but I'm not sure if you need to remove it if you are just adding a different transponder and putting it in. Not sure if they would conflict with each other or not. That was going to be my back-up plan if the dealer couldn't program the transponder in it, have a regular key programmed and then I would cut out the chip.

I did not have a spare key and my truck was one that requires the transponder chip. I didn't think to ask the dealer if there was a spare key until after I bought it...smh.

#10 · (Edited)
From what I read, only the ones with a blinking key in car symbol on the dash (blinks when car is not on) has the transponder. I didn't read anything about CC vs KC so I don't think that matters. So if you are lucky, you may not have one.

#15 ·
Hello, yes to the transponder, but no to the key blade. The key blade that swings open is one piece unique to this key. You can get different places to cut it.

#66 ·
Did your switchblade key come with a transponder glued in? I just received mine in the mail from the "second" listing, and there is a transponder glued in there. I have a sliding tray on my valet key and don't really want to dig out the glued in transponder if not necessary.

Awesome mod by the way!

#18 ·
2016? You should have received 2 main keys, 2 remote keyless fobs, and 1 valet key at the time of purchase. I'd go to the dealer you bought it from and ask for the valet key - you're supposed to get it, it's not optional.

#19 ·
I just completed this mod and wanted to share my experience.

I ordered the key from the linked ebay listing found in this thread. I pulled out my transponder from the Valet key that was given to me when I bought the truck. Every single locksmith company wanted over a $100 to program/cut keys/touch the vehicle, so I skipped all of these businesses. I decided to give the dealership a call, to see what they could do for me. They said $52 to program everything.

When I got to the dealership, I explaied to them that they transponder inside of the key that I put into it from the valet key was already programmed. I explained to them that all I needed was to have the key cut...and to my surprise, they cut the key for free. All I had to do was provide proof of ownership. Took them about 10 minutes.

Once the key was cut, I referenced an article that shows how to programe the lock/unlock/panic remote buttons. Truck started perfectly and remote works great.

Glad I was able to get this done without to much of a headache.

#20 ·
Mine should be delivered any day now... ordered from the same link, when I did the Rogue key swap I went to a local ACE hardware store, they cut the new key for free, no questions asked. After reading other people's experiences trying to get the dealer to do it I didn't even bother, instead I was in and out of ACE in about 5 minutes tops.

#21 ·
Awesome lil mod! Does anyone know if the switchblade unlock/lock/panic buttons work/can be programmed with a 3rd party alarm? Python etc?

#22 ·
Repeating my answer because you asked the same exact question in the Rogue key thread:

The "switchblade" type and the Rogue type all function like the OEM standalone key fob... meaning it's only designed to work with the factory anti-theft system. As far as I know, you can't "reprogram" a factory Nissan key fob to work with an aftermarket standalone alarm, but there are some aftermarket alarms (Fortin, Autopage) that were designed to piggyback onto the OEM anti-theft so that you get aftermarket features but you use your OEM key fob.

#23 ·
Thanks! Wasnt sure which thread to post in =D!! Really appreciate it man!!

#28 · (Edited)
#32 ·
I ordered from the above link. I have yet to use/have the key cut. Sharing some observations on quality. Inspecting the key that I received the plating on the base of the blade (where it enters the fob) is partially missing - it almost looks like the blade was superglued in addition to being pinned into the metal pivot and there was a reaction to the plating. The flip action is not quite as smooth as my Acura's switchblade, but seems to be improving as I play with it more. I've held off on giving up my Rogue key, which contains my valet transponder, until I have more certainty over the quality. I'd probably jump in using it if there was an easy way to dig out a transponder from one of the two original non-valet keys as I could see myself still wanting to retain the Rogue key I have, and the fail-safe of adding a second Rogue key if I become displeased with this switchblade. Has anyone dug out a transponder from the "normal" oem key?

#33 ·
The one I received is pinned also, no play in it and no signs of anything resembling "superglue". There's no Nissan emblem on the back, so this is not genuine OEM, it is aftermarket. The flip action was a little tight at first also, but after opening the case (to put the transponder in) it now flips back and forth pretty smoothly.

I decided to dig the transponder out of one of my master keys, and it's not hard to do but understand that you have to destroy the master key housing to get to the transponder. I'm going to post pics in my build thread in a little bit.

#35 ·
That took a steady hand with the dremel.

I don't really want to take apart my keys; are the transponders all that expensive from the dealer (wonder if anyone has checked)?

#37 ·
Does this look like I lucked out and got a transponder with my switchblade key blank?

The transponder bay is full, I just hope it's not a piece of plastic!...

Attachments

#39 ·
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my build thread - there was a transponder inside my flip key (there was one in the Rogue key too)... whether it is an actual transponder or not, you wouldn't know unless you took it to a dealer to get it programmed. However, what I do know is that the "transponder" inside the flip key (and the Rogue key) isn't programmed to any vehicle. So even if it's there, unless it can be programmed it's useless out of the package. That's why I just swapped my master key transponder in - because I know it's already programmed to my truck.

#45 ·
Picked up the Switchblade key and had it cut at my local ACE hardware store for $5. My truck was 2 years new when I bought it and came with only 1 key which I swapped the transponder to a Rogue key.

Unfortunately, I have to bring to the Stealership to get the Switchblade key programmed. I called around one dealer quoted $130, then found another for $50 which is not too bad. The remote functions are easy to program from another provided thread.

Will update if it can be programmed.

#48 ·
I have an apt in the am to get my keys (2) cut and everything programmed (dealer said a max of 5 can be done at once for a vehicle).

Dealer said programming everything and cutting both keys would be $49.00 plus tax so I felt it was a decent deal.

If the transponder in the key fobs works that will give me all the 3 OEM keys and two switchblades, here's to hope!

#53 ·
So I'm back from the dealer tonight and my Frontier has a gremlin in the BCM (body control module)?

Today the dealer couldn't get my BCM to go into programming mode after cutting my new switchblade keys.

They stated that all functions on the truck work apart from the BCM do work and it throws no codes so after an hour of trying the dealer ordered the computer module for me to be delivered to my nearest ND dealership (since we depart for that direction tomorrow AM and the part wouldn't arrive here until Monday earliest).

The part will be waiting for my arrival at the new dealer in ND and I got charged nothing today because they couldn't complete the "job" of cutting and programming my keys after they did my other free safety checks for our road trip!

While I did take the time to drive there and back at least they checked out my vehicle and certified it "road worthy" for the ~1,700 mile trip we embark on tomorrow (so it wasn't a totally wasted trip)!

#49 ·
I couldn't get the remote buttons programmed on the new Switch key yesterday. I was able to reset my Rogue key and old remote fob programmed, but the new switch key remote buttons wouldn't set.

I may just take it the dealer to fiddle with it for the $50.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.