Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Dash Cams? I'm looking at getting one.

8K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  Smitty_81 
#1 ·
I'm looking into getting a dash cam. I live in a large city and encounter a traffic incident requiring evasive maneuvers daily.

I was wondering if anyone has a dash cam they like, one they don't like, or other experiences that can help me choose a solid unit.

#3 ·
I had my girlfriend get me one for Christmas. Its been great so far. I have a single din stereo so and also wanted a backup cam so the one I had her get me does everything. It's a dash cam, backup cam, screen, and bigger mirror. Everything is integrated into a clip on rear view mirror. It has a 5" screen behind the mirror glass that is unnoticed when off. I start the truck, it turns on and starts recording on both front and rear cameras, turn the truck off, it waits 10 secs and then turns off. Totally hassle free. It also came with everything you needed including a 16gb card. Cost $85 on amazon. Look up Zero edge dash cam mirror.

#5 · (Edited)
Have two HP dash cams without GPS - both are powered ignition on only and on thismount(using 3M 20lb double sided tape). I also have a smaller one(Cobra) in my Honda. Their purpose are to serve as an additional or can be your only witness when you start getting into conflicting statements if ever in an accident. Most auto insurance companies do accept video clips.
Just set it and forget it - usually every week or so I'll format the SD card and make sure the date/time stamp are current.

Here's a good reviewer resource I've found in the past for selecting an appropriate dash cam. I've bought mine here due to free shipping and no tax.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
More and more dashcams make sense from an accident witness standpoint but also I just enjoy having a record and being able to occasionally review where I have been.

About a year ago I installed a dashcam (Panarama G) in front and like it so much I’ve just added another one (SGZC12RC) to the rear window of my Leer cap. The Panarama has GPS, the new one does not. There are arguments against having the GPS related to self-incrimination but I don’t find them compelling. Speed can be otherwise determined and I rarely speed anyway so am content to have the facts presented as they are.

My rear camera is unusual in that the camera itself is a very small remote unit apart from a frankly bulky box containing the monitor. This monitor I have mounted in the cubby ahead the gear shift. So far I am finding this very handy. Because the rear window is tinted the camera is completely invisible from outside, night-time video suffers. Both these units are high quality at about $200 apiece. You can definitely get dashcams for a lot less that work well but I would get these same ones again.

Some of the questions to ask yourself while selecting are: GPS – yes or no, monitor – yes or no, whether you want parking mode (needs permanent power source) or just ACC power for camera use only while underway, size and shape (form factor), and or course, price range.

#8 ·
Nice write-up, Bill_c. What am I looking at in your 2nd pic? I'm not quite gaining my bearings as far as angle/etc w/ respect to your camera(??). Maybe your Leer bedshell is significantly different than my ARE in how the rear door is hinged? IDK

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks and sorry about the picture; it is a terrible one, with reflection confusing the matter. The cap window is oddly hinged but normal in all other respects; the picture is taken from the side of the window which is open to show the remote camera attached and wired. The camera is very small (same shape and slightly larger than a tube of Chapstick) and center-mounted near the top of the window. I'll post a better one today because anyone who wants a rear mounted camera and has a cap would do well to consider this setup (in my opinion).

#10 ·

I have a front and rear facing camera. i have the one above (new last month) and the same version they made two years ago. They seem to work the same. The one I have had for two years is still working. Suction cup mount works fine for me - I had found reviewers that didn't like the mount. Not the most expensive (about $50) - not the most fancy (no GPS). Really good starter cam.

Techmoan is a good source for info. Also, dashcamtalk.com.

#16 ·
G1WC for hotter climates

I also opted for the G1WC. Mine has the capacitor rather than the battery because the reviews recommended for hotter climates. The reviews on this little inexpensive camera were great so I bought one from Gearbest. Shipping took awhile although I did order it during their Christmas Rush. Reddit warns of fakes being made so I wouldn't make Ebay my choice of vendors. Overall, I have no complaints and the price was great.

#15 ·
Very nice - I think this is a good choice. I have two Street Guardian cameras and am very happy with both. I assume you purchased through Pier28 who has, I think, the North America distribution. They were most helpful in the several questions I had before and after purchase.

Be sure and check out the 'Registrator Viewer' software available for download from their website (no charge). It creates a view with all the GPS detail and a map on one screen. Very nice. you'll find it here under Dashcam Support: https://shop.pier28.com/index.php/

Do post some video once you get your camera installed.

#18 ·
Dash cam showed up today. I only had enough time to go through the package, and get the GPS and power wires ran in the headliner and A-pillar. Hopefully before bed I will have a chance to format the SD card. Should be up and running by the weekend though

#20 ·
It must be me but, I see no need for a dash camera. What are everyone's reason for having one?
I live in one of the biggest cities in the U.S. and am near the Mexico border. So I get a double whammy of tons of vehicles on the road every day and extra super duper shitty, uninsured, illegal (no license in addition to no insurance) drivers.

Here one in every 5 cars on the road is not covered by insurance. Making my insurance outrageous :(

Dash cam doesn't help that situation, but it sure improves my case for anything related to an accident. Who's at fault, medical, lawsuits, etc... etc... Because around here, the odds of someone running after an accident are very high because they don't want to be deported, or arrested or whatever.

#24 · (Edited)
On mobile right now so apologize for not being able to embed the link yet.

Day time test https://youtu.be/S752LAt_BI8

Night test. https://youtu.be/g-Jl9UQeH4Q

For the night test note how low the camera is, I hadn't adjusted it properly yet. Was better for my drive home in the day test.

I can't figure out the GPS stuff yet but everything else seems easy as pie

#25 ·
Nice! The quality of the Night test is really impressive, especially knowing you lose some quality in the process of getting these on Youtube.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.