Custom under seat storage, me love wood! - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Custom under seat storage, me love wood!

I just love making things with wood!

These little boxes are clearly not perfect, I can find all sorts of things I could have done a bit more perfectly, but in the end, they are what they are, and they will serve their function very well, as they are.

The materials I'm using
• 0.188" plywood for the bottoms
• 0.75" clear pine, planed down to be 0.5" thick for the sides
• 0.75" clear pine, planed down to 0.375" and 0.438" for the corner and bottom supports
• #6 wood screws, 1", 0.75", and 0.5" long
• Titebond wood glue

The first things that needed a place to get stored is the utility track clamps, bungie cords, and rope. This is the part I love, figuring out the best way to make it so I can use all the space I got to the best of my ability.

The first box made was the simplest, it just fits under the drivers seat, it's made to fit into the notch of the floor so it could be as deep as possible. I could have made this about 1.5" wider, but then it would have had to go on top of this floor bump, which would have made the box shallower than what was needed.

Here is the first box, very straight forward, it is designed to hold rope and the utility track clamps. The hole by the way is a finger hole, so I can pull it out from under the seat once it has been inserted into its space.

The second box took twice as long to make, and it is way smaller, but way more complex. This little sucker fits right into the space under the rear jump seat, when the jump seat is folded up. The box is not very wide because there was only about 2.75" of space on the little shelf under the seat. The weird projection in the back is made to fit right into a negative space under the seat, in the area that is not taken up by the seat hinges, and the slots in the side, well they allow the box to sit all the way back and the seat hinges protrude into those slots. This thing is made to fit so tightly that once it is in place, it is held in space by nothing more than friction, it's a snug fit, but that was needed to get the most storage space out of the small area I had to work with.

Here is the second box, it is designed to hold a mass of bungie cords. This morning I was able to pack more than a dozen of them into this thing, and the weird shape at the top, the protrusion worked great because it gave me enough extra space for the bungie cord's big metal hooks I had room to stuff even more cords into the box. So all the time I spent to make that little bit of extra space was well worth it.

More pics to come of them painted

More pics to come of another whole new 3rd piece

Triple S • SILLY SUBSTANDARD SLUSHBOXES
2009 PRO-4X KC 6-SPEED MANUAL WITHOUT VDC

Last edited by Triple S; 07-09-2009 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Instead of bungee cords, how many tie-down straps can you fit in there?

I have found that bungee's just end up breaking or stretching out so I only carry tie-downs (4 pull tight and 10 ratcheting).

Also, since you have a KC, have you found a place where you can put a tarp? I know in the CC you can put it behind the rear seat when you fold it forward but in a KC I have no clue.

07 SE CC Auto
#3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Take pics of them in your truck! Thats what I wanna see.

JUNE 2010 TOTM
#4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,252 Posts
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo View Post
Take pics of them in your truck! Thats what I wanna see.
How about pics of these boxes finished and installed.
That's what I want to see.

Looks good so far Trip.

Report a bad/flaming/illegal post by clicking on or
#5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
How about pics of these boxes finished and installed.
That's what I want to see.

Looks good so far Trip.
Yeah, what he said! ( thats what I ment, thanks) PLUS looks good so far!

JUNE 2010 TOTM
#6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Yup, painted and in pics to come, 1st coat of paint is drying now....

I have to hit Home Depot/Lowes tonight on the way home, I want to see if I can get a really dark grey so I'm close to my interior color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubie2003 View Post
Instead of bungee cords, how many tie-down straps can you fit in there?
The tie-down straps will be going into the storage box that goes under the passenger's front seat. Most of the time I just need bungies to keep lumber from sliding around so they are on the driver's side where they are the easiest to get to.

BTW- what the hell, I just noticed this morning there is not a single F'ING strap hook screwed into the bed, the utility track is the only thing. The Titan had one little hook on both sides way in the back of the bed by the tailgate edge, they were so handy. I can't believe I don't have those anymore.

Quote:
Also, since you have a KC, have you found a place where you can put a tarp? I know in the CC you can put it behind the rear seat when you fold it forward but in a KC I have no clue.
Why would I need a tarp?

I have the awesome LazerLite tonneau cover on order.

Last edited by Triple S; 07-09-2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
#7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,252 Posts
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple S View Post
BTW- what the hell, I just noticed this morning there is not a single F'ING strap hook screwed into the bed, the utility track is the only thing. The Titan had one little hook on both sides way in the back of the bed by the tailgate edge, they were so handy. I can't believe I don't have those anymore.
Check it Trip:

DIY Utilli-trac Tie Down Points

or

Cheap tie-downs/cleats for Utility track.

Some crafty peeps on here that's for sure.

Report a bad/flaming/illegal post by clicking on or
#8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Shift_Fanatic

So I just stated I have another to build forunder the passenger's front seat, that will be a lot like the 1st one pic'ed, very simple.

The 4th one though, I started this last night, and I'll admit, it might be a crazy idea, but I'm going to build it, and see if I like it.

The Titan spoiled me with space, and it too was a KC. The rear seat on driver's side was always up, so I had full use of the floor, the passenger's side rear seat was always left in the standard seating position, and when I opened my side rear door I would toss my backpack on the floor, and my coat and hat onto the seat.

In the Frontier I have kept both back seats folded up, but I just don't like tossing my coat in on the floor. So I tried putting the passenger's side rear seat bottom down, but whenever I put my coat on it, because it is so small it would always fall off, and be right back on the floor. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......................

So, the idea is, make a box that is the full dimension of the floor space on the passenger's side rear seat area so it will actually have a bottom size bigger than the seat bottom, and make the side heights two levels so I can fold the seat botto down over part of the box, and when I put a lid on the rest of the box, I'll have a platform the height of the rear seat, that takes up that entire foot well space.

Hard to describe, more pics to come as I continue my builds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
Check it Trip:
Yea, I'm going t have to do that, it will be a bit better than nothing, but not as nice as those darn Titan hooks. What I liked about them is they were bolted to the side up off the floor, on the bed surface that is sort of like the back side of the tail lights. They were totally out of the way, and yet super handy.

The things I'll have to make for the utility track will have to be down on the floor in those rails, and I'm sure they will be in the way 50% of the time...

I should formalize my Titan versus Frontier list, I love the Frontier, and am thrilled with it, but damn, Nissan really stiffed us on some cool features all the Titan have.

Last edited by Triple S; 07-09-2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
#9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You can order the stationary tie down points and just install them yourself. I did this for my CC. I'll go and check and see if I can find a PN for you.

Also, there is a thread on here in which a member confirmed the tap size that is needed to be used since the holes have bedliner in them and then a plastic plug over the holes.

I believe the PN for the hooks are 93806-7S200 and they come with the bolts. I thou did find a way to strip a bolt and also didn't know they came with the hooks so I order 8 extra and their PN are 01121-0051U.

I would double check these before just blindly ordering them but these are what you need.

Also, since you are into woodworking it may behoove you to do the 2x6 plank mod so that you can fit full sheets of plywood in the bed without having them hand out the back too much.

Lastly, if you think you can just put a couple of sheets of ply in the bed and rest them on the tailgate while it is up, you will end up bending your hindges. A member on here did that and was amazed on how weak the hindges really are.

07 SE CC Auto

Last edited by dubie2003; 07-09-2009 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The Following User Says Thank You to dubie2003 For This Useful Post:
Triple S (07-10-2009)
#10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 07:50 AM
Shift_Fanatic

To the mod who moved my thread:
Thanks. I'm sorry, I guess I have to get better about thinking outside of the General Discussion box.

Here is an update on the weird little box...

Weird little box in its environment

Weird little box Installed

The fit is so perfect it is snug, and no matter what, does not seem to budge, so it stays in place, and makes no noise. I'm not happy with the grey color, the match is better in the pic than in real life, the color is just too far off for a dark grey, it looks like it is trying to match, and can't. I'll put the final coat of paint on it tonight and will be going with black which I think will be the best option as I'm not spending a ton of time trying to find a perfect dark grey match for the seat fabric/carpet.

Quote:
You can order the stationary tie down points and just install them yourself...
Dubie

Thanks for your entire reply!

I'll have to crawl in there tonight and take a closer look, if its like you say and the holes are there with plasctic plugs in them I'll for sure make this mod.

It's kind of funny, I was already thinking last night about dropping into the Nissan dealer and ordering the Titan hooks. I figured once I had them I would take the leap of faith and drill into the bed, but it sounds like it might be even easier.

Last edited by Triple S; 07-10-2009 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Interior Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.