I just love making things with wood!
These little boxes are clearly not perfect, I can find all sorts of things I could have done a bit more perfectly, but in the end, they are what they are, and they will serve their function very well, as they are.
The materials I'm using
0.188" plywood for the bottoms
0.75" clear pine, planed down to be 0.5" thick for the sides
0.75" clear pine, planed down to 0.375" and 0.438" for the corner and bottom supports
#6 wood screws, 1", 0.75", and 0.5" long
Titebond wood glue
The first things that needed a place to get stored is the utility track clamps, bungie cords, and rope. This is the part I love, figuring out the best way to make it so I can use all the space I got to the best of my ability.
The first box made was the simplest, it just fits under the drivers seat, it's made to fit into the notch of the floor so it could be as deep as possible. I could have made this about 1.5" wider, but then it would have had to go on top of this floor bump, which would have made the box shallower than what was needed.
Here is the first box, very straight forward, it is designed to hold rope and the utility track clamps. The hole by the way is a finger hole, so I can pull it out from under the seat once it has been inserted into its space.
The second box took twice as long to make, and it is way smaller, but way more complex. This little sucker fits right into the space under the rear jump seat, when the jump seat is folded up. The box is not very wide because there was only about 2.75" of space on the little shelf under the seat. The weird projection in the back is made to fit right into a negative space under the seat, in the area that is not taken up by the seat hinges, and the slots in the side, well they allow the box to sit all the way back and the seat hinges protrude into those slots. This thing is made to fit so tightly that once it is in place, it is held in space by nothing more than friction, it's a snug fit, but that was needed to get the most storage space out of the small area I had to work with.
Here is the second box, it is designed to hold a mass of bungie cords. This morning I was able to pack more than a dozen of them into this thing, and the weird shape at the top, the protrusion worked great because it gave me enough extra space for the bungie cord's big metal hooks I had room to stuff even more cords into the box. So all the time I spent to make that little bit of extra space was well worth it.
More pics to come of them painted
More pics to come of another whole new 3rd piece