Aux input install for radio - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Aux input install for radio

Has anyone ever installed a aux input jack in the space above the power jack on a 2009 SE. i know some models came with it already but mine didnt. there is a cap that can be removed and i want to put one on. Do i have to get a different radio or is there a place to install it on mine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Here is a link to the USB cable--> Coaxial, Cable, Connector, USB, Adapter, Antenna, Amplifier, Enclosure - www.L-com.com

Here is the snap ring around the outlet--> Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

and since there is not really a picture with the snap ring on the Courtesy link here is a pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cigarette lighter cover.jpg
Views:	2673
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	30334  

2006 Frontier CC 4x4 LE NISMO SPORT Stormgray -
Performance: Airaid Quickfit CAI w/AEM dry filter, XTP I.M.S., 2* Advance,TB Screen mod, Magnaflow Y-pipe, SuperChips Cortex, JBA Headers
Exterior: OEM steps, Nissan hood guard, Morrimoto HID Retrofit D2S, Black Bullet BullBar, Totron offroad LED lights, Hidden Hitch, Nismo skidplates, Extang tonneau,custom Thule rack/wind deflector,Billet Grill
Interior: Pioneer AVIC-X930BT Navi, Blue LED Gauges
Suspension: PRG Advanced 4WD 2.5" lift w/TC UCAs & 4x Radflos, 1" DIY BL, Susp. Connect. Titan Sway bar bushings
Wheels/Tires: American Outlaw Buckshot 17x9 wheels, Dick Cepek Fun Country II tires
Other: McMaster-Carr Hood lift,
XTP IMS--> http://extremetruckperformance.com/

Last edited by NCFronty; 01-23-2011 at 11:21 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

I didn't want to give up my second power outlet - so I used an RF modulated kit from Scosche to add an aux input:

Scosche FM-MOD02 Play your iPod®, satellite radio, or portable music player through any car's FM radio at Crutchfield.com

It works very well - bought 2 of them actually and been very happy with them.

06 Frontier Crew Cab / 95 SAS Pathfinder
#4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Premium Member

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy_Canuck View Post
I didn't want to give up my second power outlet - so I used an RF modulated kit from Scosche to add an aux input:

Scosche FM-MOD02 Play your iPod®, satellite radio, or portable music player through any car's FM radio at Crutchfield.com

It works very well - bought 2 of them actually and been very happy with them.
In my opinion, RF modulators suck. There's so much audio quality loss in them, I don't think they're worth it.

To the OP: there's probably a few ways to go here, depending highly on your knowledge of simple circuits, handiness with taking things apart and putting them back together correctly, and how big your cajones are:
1. Open up your existing radio and see if one of the PCB's has a spot to solder in an aux plug.
2. Buy an aftermarket radio which has the aux (or even USB) plug.
3. Buy another stock radio, and perform option #1 just in case you f it up.

Nissan has used so many models of stereo headunits in the 2nd gen Frontier, it's not even funny. It's hard to keep track of what model is capable of what. There's two things to look for. Like I said in option #1, some of the headunits actually had spots where you could solder an auxiliary input in. They're usually screenprinted with an "aux" and "L+ and L- or R+ and R-". Here you can solder in a 3.5mm headphone jack, then just solder in switched power to the aux circuit, since there is a digital volume IC that switches between the radio functions.

The other thing that you can do (as some Navara owners have found), is that you can clip the AM radio input from that digital volume IC, and replace the AM radio inputs with you left and right AUX inputs. Then you'd just have to switch to "AM Radio" as your setting, which in reality would be your MP3 player or whatever. (With this option, you'd lose your AM radio.)

<-Old truck. Now have a 2012 Xterra Pro-4X
Jordan, ME (EIT)
SmugMug Frontier Pics
2008 Storm Gray SE CC 4x4 6spd
See my garage for list of mods.

Last edited by StormFrontier; 01-24-2011 at 01:10 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Shift_lurker

Stormfrontier,

You are describing exactly what I want to do. I am looking at the circuit board on my radio and don't see an AUX input anywhere, neither top or bottom. So, I guess that leaves me with the AM option. I'm having trouble identifying the AM section to tap into. Do you know what it's labeled, or where it is? Thanks for your input. Its has already been a big help.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Shift_lurker

I don't know how my truck can have a aftermarket radio. It looks like it would have to be custom built.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 08:21 AM
Shift_lurker

I found some answers to my question last night, so I'm working on that, but as to your problem, I think you need what they call a 'double din' size radio. Vehicles either have a single din, din and 1/2, or double din. Our vehicles have the double din size. If you look at most aftermarket radios, they are just regular size, which is single din. You can still get one of these if you want. They are half the size (height) of the opening in our vehicles. The installation kit that comes with it will leave you with the radio on top and a shelf under it. I've installed this in a vehicle I used to own. It's is pretty nice. I think I would rather have that than an aftermarket double din size because to me, aftermarket radios can be rather flashy when compared to factory, and I like non-flashy. I want things to blend in. An aftermarket double din size radio is just more flashy than a single din size. IMO.
#8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Shift_Hardcore

I found that the cheap FM modulators do not work well. But, if you are using an ipod the cig lighter powered ones that plug into the bottom plug of the ipod works well. I beleive it is two fold. One with the 12 volt it boast the signal and you are not relying only on the weak signal coming from teh ear phone jack. the second reason is the bottm plug. The 3.5 mm ear phone jack puts out a powered analog signal. But the bottom plug puts out a digiatal signal, there are no loses in signal quality till the radio receives it.
Belkin TuneCast Auto with ClearScan for iPhone and iPod - Digital player FM transmitter / charger for car

The stock upgraded rockford fosgate stereo did not have a aux input for the early years05-07 (?) but the later years it had one. Here is a write up on how someone added one.
Aux-in for OEM radio (nissan)
If you have a aftermarket, the easiest way is jsut to get a new aftermaret with an input.

06 KC NISMO 4x4, 2" prg spacer front, Firestone riderite airbags rear, Schrockwrxs front engine skid, Custom sliders, Hidden hitch reciever, Deck plate Airbox mod/amsoil filter, Momo shift knob removed, back to 06+ nismo knob, 05 pathy flat black wheels, 265/75/r16 Tread Wright Sentinel with Kedge Grip, wireless door lock keypad, cargo light bypass, auto dimming rear view mirror with compass and temp.
http://mrpulldown.blogspot.com/
#9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Shift_lurker

thanks. That second link looks more like what I would be interested in. I've been gathering more and more info and I'm about ready to make the modification. If I screw it up, then I'll get an aftermarket radio. It's worth a shot, though. One thing that I learned in that thread was that the cd changer had an aux input on his. I haven't dissasembled my cd changer. On the radio circuit board, I found some unused inputs for a entertainment system, likely for a Pathfinder. There is a DVDON, FES.R+, FES.R-, FES.L+, and FES.L-. My plan is to tie the audio line into the L+R points and power to the DVDON. Shouldn't be too difficult. I'm thinking that when I do that, it will initialize the DVD option on the head unit, which will actually be my new aux input.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Premium Member

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Let me know if it works out for you. I'm curious to see if this will work.

P.S. What year is your Frontier?

<-Old truck. Now have a 2012 Xterra Pro-4X
Jordan, ME (EIT)
SmugMug Frontier Pics
2008 Storm Gray SE CC 4x4 6spd
See my garage for list of mods.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Interior Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.