6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 198 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 08:34 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quick update - I got the flip key cut and dropped the chip from the valet key into it, programmed it per the instructions elsewhere on the site, and viola! Works like a charm, and the fob itself is barely bigger than the VW fob. The key blade is a little more shaky than I'd like but hey, it was $12 so I'm not complaining (well, not really...). I'm definitely happy enough that I'd recommend this flip fob to anyone, but I may try another one sometime down the road. Either way, this gets the Mfed Seal of Alrighty! Thanks all for the posts, instructions and inspiration. Now onto the auto-locking tailgate...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 198 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 08:22 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Garage
So, a little follow-up to my flip-key fob review above. Over the short time I've used it the blade wobble has gotten a bit worse, and by itself that's probably not a big deal but it does make it feel more like the blade could break off inside the lock under the right circumstances, which is to say "too easily for comfort." Also, the button placement makes it far too easy to hit either the lock or unlock button when turning the key in the ignition (or the tailgate lock), either on or off. Several times I've "locked myself in" the truck while shutting it off and reaching for the door handle - the horn/alarm "bips" and ugh, gotta unlock the door again to get out (I know, 1st-world problems... ). Not a huge deal I know, but annoying.

More importantly I've activated either lock or unlock once or twice while it's in my pocket, just bending down or doing nothing else out of the ordinary. Slightly more than just annoying if you're expecting your truck to remain locked in a parking lot or something and happen not to notice the lights wink when it unlocks. Not good.

So a revision from "recommended" to "don't bother." Good concept, poor execution. I'm keeping an eye on another style that I'll try eventually...
post #103 of 198 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,136 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfed View Post
So, a little follow-up to my flip-key fob review above. Over the short time I've used it the blade wobble has gotten a bit worse, and by itself that's probably not a big deal but it does make it feel more like the blade could break off inside the lock under the right circumstances, which is to say "too easily for comfort." Also, the button placement makes it far too easy to hit either the lock or unlock button when turning the key in the ignition (or the tailgate lock), either on or off. Several times I've "locked myself in" the truck while shutting it off and reaching for the door handle - the horn/alarm "bips" and ugh, gotta unlock the door again to get out (I know, 1st-world problems... ). Not a huge deal I know, but annoying.

More importantly I've activated either lock or unlock once or twice while it's in my pocket, just bending down or doing nothing else out of the ordinary. Slightly more than just annoying if you're expecting your truck to remain locked in a parking lot or something and happen not to notice the lights wink when it unlocks. Not good.

So a revision from "recommended" to "don't bother." Good concept, poor execution. I'm keeping an eye on another style that I'll try eventually...
Your truck should auto relock itself if no door is opened within a few seconds if you accidentally unlock it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zero Six LE For This Useful Post:
Mfed (12-09-2014)

post #104 of 198 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 08:40 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Six LE View Post
Your truck should auto relock itself if no door is opened within a few seconds if you accidentally unlock it.
Ah yes, thanks for the reminder. "Reading" and "remembering" the owner's manual are two very different things.

Doesn't change my assessment of that particular flip-fob though. Not worth the trouble/time/money.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mfed For This Useful Post:
Zero Six LE (12-09-2014)
post #105 of 198 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfed View Post
Ah yes, thanks for the reminder. "Reading" and "remembering" the owner's manual are two very different things.

Doesn't change my assessment of that particular flip-fob though. Not worth the trouble/time/money.
You're welcome.

post #106 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 12:09 PM
Shift_lurker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Cool Key

I picked up Rogue keys as shown in post #1 on ebay and had them cut at ACE for about $6.50. I tested both on the tailgate, door and ignition - mechanically they worked ok but obviously wouldn't start the truck.

Made an appointment at the dealership to have them programmed. Somehow one of the Rogue keys wouldn't turn in the ignition anymore - still worked in tailgate and door

Turns out you can only have 3 keys active, so now I have the new Rogue key, one of the originals and the Valet key (I would have preferred having the 2 factory keys working - never used the valet key on any of my cars). They charged me $89 for the programming.

Definitely lightens the load on my keyring!

Bob
2015 Frontier SV Crew Cab w/Value Package
post #107 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMAz View Post
I picked up Rogue keys as shown in post #1 on ebay and had them cut at ACE for about $6.50. I tested both on the tailgate, door and ignition - mechanically they worked ok but obviously wouldn't start the truck.

Made an appointment at the dealership to have them programmed. Somehow one of the Rogue keys wouldn't turn in the ignition anymore - still worked in tailgate and door

Turns out you can only have 3 keys active, so now I have the new Rogue key, one of the originals and the Valet key (I would have preferred having the 2 factory keys working - never used the valet key on any of my cars). They charged me $89 for the programming.

Bob
I always use my valet key anytime the truck goes to the dealer or any shop for that matter. I even use it at home sometimes when I want to move the truck out of the garage to wash it and not have to take my entire key ring with me.

post #108 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 10:55 PM
Shift_Newbie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMAz View Post

Bob
On my 12 Frontier I bought 2 Rogues keys and took them plus my 3 original keys, (including Valet key) to nearby dealer. The tech came in and side my truck could only be programmed to 4 keys max. I said OK, kill the valet Key.
He came back later and said all done, and all 5 keys took the programming. I think your dealer pulled a fast one on you with the 3 keys only story.
post #109 of 198 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 05:58 PM
Shift_lurker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Looks great! I was thinking about upgrading my key set since mine are getting old. I've read through all 11 pages twice, but I've never done something like this so just to make sure I got all the steps right:

1) Buy blank key from ebay/wherever.
2) Get blank key cut by a smith for $.
3a) Cut up old key fob and move transponder to new key. Program new keys using the ACC programming technique.
OR
3b) Pay $$$ for dealer to reprogram keys without moving the transponder.
post #110 of 198 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 11:47 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Yes, providing your truck has the transponder equipped key.

If I comprehended the reprogramming of the transponder, I wouldn't have dug out the existing one in the new key from eBay. It was glued in to "billybedamned" and I almost mangled the new key digging it out.

Meanwhile, the old key transponder was just sitting inside the key, no glue.

2012 Frontier CC SV 4x2
02 I35
95 Nissan
Callaway Turbo Mercedes-Benz (Temporary caretaker)

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Interior Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.