Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Adding a Rogue Key

102K views 213 replies 72 participants last post by  jegonzo3 
#1 ·
Another Rogue Key success story! I have an '06 crew cab and purchased the Rogue key blank on ebay: NISSAN CUBE ROGUE REMOTE HEAD KEY KEYLESS ENTRY FOB OEM | eBay

Remotez4Less has great customer service. They actually sent me a DOA unit at first, but prompty sent out a replacement after my return was received. I was able to program the lock/unlock buttons the day I got the key in the mail, but had to take it to my dealer to get it cut/activated for the truck.

I too, had typical experience at the dealer, "you know this is a Rogue key, I can't guarantee it will work..." They charged me $60 to program it.

so for $100, I have a trick key. Money well spent.

See less See more
#4 ·
Thats a pretty sweet key, I want.

#6 ·
Hmm, I don't really get it. What's the appeal?

#7 ·
A sweet key with a smaller footprint in your pants vs OEM Key/Fob? thats why I would want one...

#9 ·
I'd be curious to find out what the range on the remote is. The range on my stock one was terrible and the after-market alarm remote isn't too much better. The one on my Benz was even worse, drives me nuts. Never thought about the bulkiness though. For $100 I have too many other mods to work on.

#10 ·
The "programming" is spelled out in the owner's manual - for less than $60.

#12 ·
is that programming for a remote fob, or a transponder key?

Range is about the same. There was a thread in the DIY section on how to increase range. I probably wouldn't have done this mod had I not lost a set of keys. Now I'm planning on doing for my wife's X, so no actual fob.
I found the range to be noticeably longer, but is probably due to a new unit with a new battery; I bought my '06 Frontier in 2010, so it was 4 years old when i got it, and I'm sure so were the fob batteries.

#14 ·
Forgot to ask how this turned out for you. I may give this a shot for the wife's X.

#16 ·
I love that I don't have the stupid transponder to deal with.

Just a reminder, get your keys checked for the transponder by and outside source before going to Nissan and paying the ridiculous money. Many tucks don't even have them

#17 ·
Cool mod. I personally would rather have the Intelikey that is in the SL Rogue an Altimas and what not. That thing is sweet. Leave your keys in your pocket and never have to take them out.

#22 ·
I did the same thing.... but save yourself the $60-80 programming and take the all black valet key that you'll never use and you can split it open and put that transponder in the Rouge key. Works perfectly.

#23 ·
I would not mind doing this mod except for one thing, my wife drives a new Rogue and I already have a Rogue key on my chain. It would be too much of a hassle.

#25 ·
:clever: Very interesting

#26 ·
pretty cool, not sure I need one, but cool nevertheless.

#27 ·
I just ordered 2 OEM Rogue keys off of Ebay. Does anyone have the "lock/unlock/Panic" programming instructions? I plan on taking them to the dealer for the chip programming, but I figured I do the other step myself.

CPS

#30 ·
Just wanted to report another Rogue Key success! Seems like a lot less mess on my key chain.

#36 ·
Got my 2 Rogue keys DONE!

I got both of my Rogue keys today and had them cut by my local locksmith ($10) for both keys. I programmed the remotes in about 5 minutes myself. I did not have my locksmith program the Rogue keys as I just took the transponder chips out of 2 of my old keys and put them into the new Rogue keys. I saved $65 by doing this swap.

Also, I ordered my 2 keys from Keygirl2009 on Ebay and these keys are factory OEM Nissan keys. My local locksmith told me before hand that "if the Ebay keys have any steel in them, I will not cut them". He is referring to the cheap China made key blanks are coming over with steel mixed into the brass causing the $110 cutting wheels on the key cutter to break or dull quickly. So, with this being said, my 2 keys were solid brass with a nickel coating, so he cut them with no problems.

CPS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.