steady-low and steady-high ones. Now, even the steady settings
are tempramental. Motor seems to be functioning fine. Anyone
deal with this before? I've been told that there is a PC board that
does the timing setting. I guess it could be whole column switch
assembly, or maybe even a relay. I'm hoping this is something I
could do myself without having to take it to the dealer, as I know
I'll pay through the nose...

Any advice? Vehicle is an '08 Frontier NISMO. Never had a wiper
problem like this on a vehicle this young.

Thanks!

--Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 11:19 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Thanked 1,121 Times in 815 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Mhannis Send a message via Yahoo to Mhannis Send a message via Skype™ to Mhannis
could be just a bad wiper switch. good thing is..the column switches are modular. you just slip out the old assembly and slip in a new one. without actually testing the system and doing a full check of things, this is where i would go for an intermittent issue, and with only certain settings operating properly. i would venture to the switch. as it is the only piece of the system that is variable.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Sounds like an IPDM issue. My fiance's 2008 Sentra all the sudden stopped squirting windshield fluid, motor wouldn't even come on. Turned out to be that the IPDM wasn't sending power to the pump - dealer wanted somewhere towards $850 to replace the unit since they are not serviceable.

Maybe just the control stalk is just going bad on yours? That would definitely be a lot cheaper of a problem.

-j

2010 Frontier SE 4x4 (auto) CC - Night Armor
#4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Mhannis Send a message via Yahoo to Mhannis Send a message via Skype™ to Mhannis
if it were the IPDM you could just replace the blown fuses. manufacturer recommends you dont..but its totally possible. i had to do that on a new sentra that had no tail lights.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhannis View Post
if it were the IPDM you could just replace the blown fuses. manufacturer recommends you dont..but its totally possible. i had to do that on a new sentra that had no tail lights.
Is that so? Thats interesting because the dealer swore to me that the IPDM could not have the individual relays switched out. I thought that was absurd myself.

#6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Garage
relays no. fuses yes. relays are very tightly packed into the module. to pull one out with a tool is going to cause damage to the relay and potentially the socket its in as well. as relays require some "wiggling" to pull out. theres not enough room for you to just grab onto them with your fingers and yank it straight out either. so it is usually best to replace the unit should a relay fail on it.

the fuses however. are just your basic fuse block setup and can easily be extracted witha pair of needle nose pliers and can be inserted with a new fuse just as easily and without causing damage to the recepticle.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhannis View Post
relays no. fuses yes. relays are very tightly packed into the module. to pull one out with a tool is going to cause damage to the relay and potentially the socket its in as well. as relays require some "wiggling" to pull out. theres not enough room for you to just grab onto them with your fingers and yank it straight out either. so it is usually best to replace the unit should a relay fail on it.

the fuses however. are just your basic fuse block setup and can easily be extracted witha pair of needle nose pliers and can be inserted with a new fuse just as easily and without causing damage to the recepticle.
Oh the fuses, yeah - thats not an issue. I was just assuming the OP tried that already. In my fiance's case, replacing fuses did nothing. The individual IDPM relay was toast.

#8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Garage
i always assume whoever is asking the questions, knows nothing unless specifying otherwise. better to underestimate than over estimate in these cases.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Shift_lurker

Thanks guys.... what's the IPDM? The fuse block? How hard is it to replace the
column stem switch assembly? I seem to be getting power to the motor, just
not every time I switch the wipers on. Sometimes they go on, sometimes they
don't, but this is only in the steady settings. The intermittent ones it'll run that
first time when I first switch it in (sometimes) but it won't repeat, no matter what
the timing setting.

--Tom
#10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Garage
the IPDM is the Intelligent Power Distribution Module. its the large "fuse block" on the passenger side of the underhood compartment. it has a square cover panel on it as well. dont go messing with this right now because i dont believe its your problem.

what youre decribing is a memory function of the wiper module. if i recall correctly, this should be a part of the stalk. it is very simple to replace these switches as well. you simply remove the shroud pieces covering the upper end of the steering column, screws should be on the bottom side obviously. i believe there is 3 or 4 of the screws holding the two pieces together. once the screws are out, you can unsnap the pieces and use some common sense not to muscle them apart or break them. they'll snap back together when youre done.

once the shroud is off, you should be able to see a white plastic clip at the top and bottom side of the wiper switch block, press both of these tabs down/in simultaneously and the whole switch should just slide towards the passenger side of the vehicle and out. slide in a new one, and youre good to go. make sure the new one fully clicks.

if memory serves me right, the memory and brain of the module is integrated to that switch in the large bulky section of its base. this is what tells the wipers to pulse after youve selected a certain speed. it sounds to me that the brain is dead and only recognizes the first change in speed between each pulse mode.

as far as a replace and pray method of testing..i would probably go for the switch first in this particular instance, because its the cheaper component of the two, between the switch and the motor with integrated module.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.