Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Which winch for my wench?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  JayAre 
#1 ·
Ok, so I'm getting a new bumper for the truck pretty soon, and I'm going to need a winch. I honestly don't know a whole lot about winches, so I'm not sure exactly what to look for when getting one. I think for cost savings, I will stick with steel line until that starts to wear out, and then go synthetic. Anyway... I'm looking at the Smittybilt XRC 9.5 Gen 2 ($299), or the X20 10 gen 2($399). Does anyone have any personal experience with these, or Smittybilts in general? I know they are the lower side of the cost spectrum, so I don't want to buy junk, but I have read some good reviews, and a Jeep buddy of mine has an older X20 and seems to love it, (although he doesn't use it that much).

So, you guys have experience, opinions, suggestions? Let's hear them.

#2 ·
. I think for cost savings, I will stick with steel line until that starts to wear out, and then go synthetic.
Keep in mind mind some winches that come with steel cables are not designed for synthetic rope. This warning can be found on the superwinch website.

Warning: This winch was not designed for synthetic rope. To make the Tiger Shark SR ready for synthetic, we increased thickness of the drum tube and flanges and moved the brake outside the drum. Superwinch does not recommend adding synthetic rope to this winch. Superwinch is proud to be the only manufacturer alerting customers to the ropes winch-damaging potential.

#4 ·
I have the Smitty X20 with a steel cable and it has been great for me. I have only had it a little more than a year but I have used it 8 or so times and it has worked great for me. I wish I could have gotten the gen 2 but they weren't out yet. When I was looking at winches, I decided to go steel cable, but paid a little more for the X20 so I have a little peace of mind on the water proofing.

Also, I got the 8k winch rather than the 10k because they had the exact same motor, just different gearing. I figured with the 8k winch it will spool fatser when I don't need the power and when I do need more power I made sure that I got a snatch block, and may even invest in another because I have had to use it a couple times. I don't know if a 10k would have been able to pull me out without a snatch block though.

That's how I rationalized my purchase last year.

#6 · (Edited)
The Smitty X2O and XRC winches are designed to work with syn line when you're ready to replace the steel. I've had both (currently running the X2O Comp w/syn line) and never had an issue with either.
Keep in mind that the steel line will add 15-25lbs to the front end over the syn line and the steel roller fairlead can be up to 10 times heavier than the alum hawse version

EDIT: I'm also using the 8k version and carrying a snatch block. The snatch block effectively doubles your pull rating though it cuts your line length in half. I also carry a 30' and a 60' strap with me just in case I need more reach.

#7 ·
#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.