1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why invest in Renault/Nissan/Frontier?

I'm not at all trying to be provocative. We've been looking at Frontiers for years & not finding what we want, so we're now looking at Tacomas & F150s as well. A Frontier is the preference, but at this point I'm wondering why should I "invest" in a company that provides so few options for us buyers? By invest I mean when I buy this truck, I'm buying future parts, paying Nissan trained mechanics in the future, trusting Nissan/Renault to back up recalls & bulletins.

The parts that make me most nervous are these: The majority of Nissan is owned by Renault, based out of Paris, France. Nissan is showing NO interest in upgrading their trucks & no interest in attracting me as a customer, which tells me they don't really want to invest in me either. Meanwhile, Europe-centered Renault is apparently leading in ELECTRIC vehicle development &/or sales...a mindset more European than American right now. That's also something more realistic in Europe than in America, at least in the wide open west where I am. Maybe Renault-Nissan is more interested in an electric future than a gassy Frontier (bad pun intended). To make the choice even harder, I remember when I was young seeing Renault cars here & there, but mostly they were parked for repairs. Nobody bought them, but they now own the majority of Nissan, a company showing no interest in the truck I'm interested in. And Renault-Nissan has approx 9 brands under their name, 1/2 I've never heard of (that's fine), Nissan, Infinity (used to make nice sedans but I don't know anymore), Datsun (no thanks), & Mitsubishi (no thanks). Not really confidence inspiring.

I'm having a hard time seeing a good future for me if I purchase a Nissan Frontier pickup truck, but maybe you can set me straight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:28 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage
You have 5 posts in 4 years and they are all rather odd. Are you a real person? If you haven't purchased a frontier yet you probably never will. Were not here to convince you to buy one. Put brands aside. Go drive them and pick the one that you like the best. Toyota, Ford, and Nissan are not going anywhere anytime soon. They will all be around for repairs and on top of recalls.

Personally I say go grab that Tacoma!

The Following User Says Thank You to robj80 For This Useful Post:
deckman80 (05-19-2017)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:29 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Garage
These are my thoughts, and you need to make the decision for yourself. It does not seem like your set on buying a midsize truck. You list 2 midsize and a full size. I think your overthinking this. Nissan is a massive brand and they are focused (currently) on promoting and fixing the bugs in the new titan.
Granted we have not seen much in the way of public info on a new frontier. If they said they were coming out with a brand new redesign would you buy it? Again probably bugs to work out.

Nissan is a huge global company and i don't think Renault is going to do much to change it since its working well. If anything you want the parent company to be investing in new tech and diversifying. I would not read too much into parent companies.

Bottom line, if you can get the truck you want buy it. If not, look somewhere else. The tacoma costs more for less truck in my opinion.

2011 Frontier SV 4x4 Long Bed
2" spacer
Adjustable shackle at 1"
Hefty Engine, Trans, and T-Case Skids
General Grabber AT2- 265/75/16
The Following User Says Thank You to kgordon For This Useful Post:
deckman80 (05-19-2017)

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:56 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Anybody that thinks buying a car or truck is an investment has it all wrong, it's an expense.

I've been hoping to buy a small pickup with a diesel engine, but the closest thing to that right now is an extended cab Colorado in the ZR2 trim- begins at $45,000!!

That's no investment, nor in my opinion a justifiable expense. There are people who have piles of money and just buy what they want, pay the freight, so to speak. Most people look for that balance between what they want and what they need, try to find the best value. The Frontier shines in that department.

As to the OP, any time someone can't make up their mind between a Frontier and an F-150, they haven't given it much thought and shouldn't be posting.
AFguy05 likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:15 AM
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I bought mine because it was the cheapest and smallest 4wd truck I could find.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:38 AM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
OP, just import a Mahindra and call it a day.

________
'15 SV KC, 4.0, 6-sp, 4x2 Worktruck & DD
VTP items = Standard Equipment on SV 6-sp
ARE TW bedshell, Firestone Ride-Rites, Morimoto XB LED fogs, OEM mud flaps/step rails, Bully Hitch Step,
AVS Aeroskin, WeatherTech Digi-Fit, Wheelskins leather steering wheel cover, Wet Okole, Ceramic tint,
265/70-16 Michelin Defender LTX M/S
________
'00 XE KC, 2.4, 5-sp, 4x2 ~SOLD~
ATC bedshell, Kenwood/HAT/Boston Acoustics
185K w/ original distributor, cats & clutch
The Following User Says Thank You to shift_RUSH For This Useful Post:
Bill_c (05-18-2017)
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:49 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
I like the Frontier as is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryno_7 For This Useful Post:
Bamps (05-18-2017), Guv (05-18-2017)
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:01 AM
Rogue Admin
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Thanked 4,852 Times in 2,744 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Remember the good old days when Chevy/GMC didn;t really change their truck designs for 10 years, because they were well built and sold? Something doesn't need to be 'new' to be good, but that is what consistent marketing teaches people these days.

Nonetheless, Nissan sells significantly less Frontiers than Tacomas and F150s even with a proven design. Look at all the issues both those other brands have had releasing 'new' equipment and then realize Nissan, being much smaller in the market, is making a sound business decision to stick with something that is working well enough to enable them to make a profit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zedbra For This Useful Post:
Bamps (05-18-2017), Guv (05-18-2017)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:07 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno_7 View Post
i like the frontier as is.
ditto!!

2013 Frontier CC Pro-4X
Auto trans
aFe drop in air filter
Nisstec Radflo OE Length Ultimate lift kit
Hankook ATM LT285/75 R16 (load range E)
Flowmaster 40 series muffler
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:48 PM
Guv
Shift_lurker

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Buy something else then.
So Renault has been in F1 racing forever, they may have more than electric cars on their mind.
I think a guy by the name of Fernando Alonso won 1 or 2 races in a Renault.
Europe will always require different specs for their average drivers. How many pickups did they sell in France last year?

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.