What year Frontiers had the timing chain problems? - Page 2 - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:30 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Location: From one cold place at the TOW to another lower cold place...
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Grayt_1 View Post
I bought a foreign truck to not have major issues under 100k miles. I am starting to regret my decision with all of these major potential problems with engines and trannys... I thought I was safe in 09because I did not see a lot of problems reported, but maybe I was wrong...
The potential to have issues with any used vehicle belongs to how the original owner(s) took care of the vehicle.

These trucks run easily upwards of 150K miles so you're just getting broken in.

Keep the underside clean and maintain the engine/transmission and you should be able to roll many trouble free miles with it!

'17 Frontier CC SV v6/6M 4x4 SB to compliment my TL1Ks and other stuff

...what to spend on first; suspension, armor, lighting?...the mod bug bites hard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I still have not seen one report of timing chain issues on 09-10 models. Has anyone with any of these models had issues? Did they resolve the issue by these years?

2009 Nissan Frontier LE
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:55 PM
Shift_Newbie

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Don't panic too much. I have had two 05's my current with 101k and no major issues at all and haven't heard the timing chain whine. My older one had 175k miles and just started to get the timing chain whine and never had the transmission issue although i did a separate transmission cooler for it so I didn't have to worry. There are some very simple modifications you can make to avoid the transmission issue and other than that these are fantastic vehicles. I think you will have a long time to enjoy your new frontier with minimal issues.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:42 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj999smj View Post
Here's what happened: Borg Warner made the timing set on the VQ40DE. The chains are multi-links and during the process of stamping the links of the upper chains, the dies would start to wear and not properly stamp out the links, leaving a sharp edge on them.
Where the hell was their QC department all those years?

That's the kind of crudeness you'd expect to see coming out a mud hut in Afghanistan - Not out of a corporation that has been building car parts for more than a century.

2012 Super Black Crew Cab SV 2WD, Retrax Pro bed cover, FT-7900R 2m/70cm ham radio
The Following User Says Thank You to Skibane For This Useful Post:
FitzIngarage (01-12-2017)
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 06:02 PM
Shift_lurker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you are worried about the radiator, just by-pass it. It is not difficult and will take 15 minutes.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 07:14 PM
Shift_lurker

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
shoukd that be done with 2016/2017 as well? or just older models??
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 08:08 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Location: From one cold place at the TOW to another lower cold place...
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullyson88 View Post
shoukd that be done with 2016/2017 as well? or just older models??
I believe it only affected up to the 2010 models from what has been stated in this thread; my 2017 is under warranty so I'm not going to be worried about it...it should be covered as part of the power train warranty componets.

'17 Frontier CC SV v6/6M 4x4 SB to compliment my TL1Ks and other stuff

...what to spend on first; suspension, armor, lighting?...the mod bug bites hard
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 05:39 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Grayt_1 View Post
I bought a foreign truck to not have major issues under 100k miles. I am starting to regret my decision with all of these major potential problems with engines and trannys... I thought I was safe in 09because I did not see a lot of problems reported, but maybe I was wrong...
I don't consider Nissan trucks in North America to be "foreign." They are made in Smyrna, TN, and Canton, MS. Most of the engines and transmissions are made in TN and Mexico. There are many Japanese vehicles in the US that have more US content than those vehicles put out by the "Big Three" domestics!
I worked for Nissan as a tech from 1986 to 2003. While I am somewhat partial to them, they are a very frustrating company. They have the potential to be as good as Toyota and Honda, but, instead, put out a mix of pretty good vehicles and pretty bad vehicles. Most of the ones from Japan are pretty good, like the Z-cars and current Quest. The 2011 and later Frontiers Xterras are pretty good, now, but it took them six years to work out all of the bugs. The same for the R51 Pathfinders, which is replaced by the problem-prone R52 Pathfinder that is ranked at the bottom of its class by Consumer Reports. The Sentra and Altima were, for a long time, bread-and-butter cars for Nissan that were practical and reliable. Now, they are both plagued with issues that put them near the bottom of their class. The Versa is junk, but the Versa Note is much better. The Murano is pretty good, but the Rogue, one of their best sellers, is not nearly as good as many of its counterparts, like the Subaru Forester, Rav 4, etc. They've had many problems with their CVT transmissions, although the 5- and 7- speed automatic transmissions used in Nissan and Infiniti trucks are very good (as long as you don't end up with engine coolant in them from the radiator). They are really a company that used to be good decades ago, but really needs to get their act together now!

All of the main problems...radiators, timing chains, fuel senders...are on the 2005-2010 models. After that, they are pretty good.

Last edited by smj999smj; 01-14-2017 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smj999smj For This Useful Post:
J&JPolangin (01-14-2017), shift_RUSH (01-15-2017)
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 06:02 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I haven't seen anyone post specifically that their 2008 V6 had the Timing Chain whine, so I thought I would post that my Brother-In-Law's did in fact whine and he has already had it fixed. I think he was at about 50,000 miles.

Radiant Silver 07 Frontier SE CC LWB 4x4 6 Spd

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 06:23 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
My 2006 Pathfinder had its timing chain before I bought it with 84000 miles on it. I did the chains on my 08 Pathfinder at 135000 miles. I did a customer's timing chains at 90000 miles on their 2006 Frontier. One really can't base anything on mileage as they are all over the place and some may never have a chain issue. It only becomes an issue when you start hearing the noise.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.