Warranty Extension Debate - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 06:16 PM
Shift_Newbie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Warranty Extension Debate

I bought my 2010 PRO-4X in June of 2010. My warranty expires in a few months. That truck has been great for the most part. I've continued to deal with stinky air issues which appear to be the result of mold growing in my system for reasons unknown. Dealer speculates that my low mileage and usage is the problem. All I know, is it's still a problem. Initially I had some A/C problems also. Those seem to have passed. I have 20k miles on my truck (+/- 200 miles.) I think part of me thinks the extended warranty is a waste of money. Wanted to see what people have experienced with their trucks post factory warranty.

Extended Warranty Info: $2500 for 6 years of coverage (aka $35/month). This covers, engine, transmission, transfer unit of 4X4, drive axle assembly, font and rear suspension, steering, air conditioning unit, electronics, seals, gaskets, brake system, electrical system plus "most mechanical parts". This excludes normal wear and tear...ie brake pads, oil changes, tires etc.

$2500 is cheap in the long haul (just over $1 a day) but almost 10% of the value of the vehicle. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 06:25 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
depends, since you have been having problems on and off might be worth it. worse case you don't get your money worth out of the extended warranty. if i was in your position i would go ahead and get the warranty

Frontier Facebook group.
My Build Thread
LED Headlight Review Thread

2014 Nissan Rogue AL AWD - Purchased 3/5/2014 - 20% Tint, Chrome Bumper Protector, External Ground lighting, LEDs (Dome, Reverse, License Plate, Cargo Area)
2012 CC SV 4x4 - SOLD
#3 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Garage
i bought my truck used with 30k miles. i bought the 'platinum' bumper to bumper to 90k, the guy from the dealership that sat down with me had a great sales week. he dropped my interest rate by 2 points and cut the price of the warranty by 1/3 to hit my monthly payment. lucky me!

the warranty was my wife's idea. i was sold on the truck anyway. i have had a few things that needed to be repaired so far, but the factory warranty covered the fixes.

i passed 60k in the beginning of october. i guess i will find out if my wife was right about spending the extra money, even if it was discounted.

2007 nismo kc 6m. stock intake w/ k&n drop in filter, cxj ims, hypertech max energy, banks exhaust, jim wolf tech flywheel clutch disk pressure plate, tjm md extended travel coilovers leaf packs extended travel rear shocks, motorsport-tech 1 1/4" wheel spacers, toyo open country at2 265/75r16, shrock skids (engine trans t-case gas) oem radiator skid, kicker 5ch. amp, pioneer 6x9" and 6-1/2", rockford fosgate 12" sub, aluminum utility cap, auto ventshade ventvisors, weathertech floor liners, coverking seat covers.

in hand not installed; oem nissan cam bolts, 2" spacer lift.

ordered; white knuckle sliders.

short term; spc ucas, cb/antenna, radiator skid.

long term; bumpers, mt tires
#4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinJ View Post
I bought my 2010 PRO-4X in June of 2010. My warranty expires in a few months. That truck has been great for the most part. I've continued to deal with stinky air issues which appear to be the result of mold growing in my system for reasons unknown. Dealer speculates that my low mileage and usage is the problem. All I know, is it's still a problem. Initially I had some A/C problems also. Those seem to have passed. I have 20k miles on my truck (+/- 200 miles.) I think part of me thinks the extended warranty is a waste of money. Wanted to see what people have experienced with their trucks post factory warranty.

Extended Warranty Info: $2500 for 6 years of coverage (aka $35/month). This covers, engine, transmission, transfer unit of 4X4, drive axle assembly, font and rear suspension, steering, air conditioning unit, electronics, seals, gaskets, brake system, electrical system plus "most mechanical parts". This excludes normal wear and tear...ie brake pads, oil changes, tires etc.

$2500 is cheap in the long haul (just over $1 a day) but almost 10% of the value of the vehicle. Thoughts?
6 years or till it is 6 years old. Makes a big difference.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 11:51 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Garage
Regarding the "stinky air" issue....have you looked inside the in cabin air filter behind the glove box to see if mice might have nested in there and died? That caused my "stinky air " issue on my truck. I found 2 dead mice in mine. Removed mice and put in new air filters and problem solved. If you are a real low mileage user and don't do a lot of off roading, I wouldn't think you need the extended warranty. I didn't see "radiator" mentioned as covered. There have been a lot of radiator contamination problems due to leaking tranny fluid (cross contamination). There is a legal settlement coming on that in a class action suit (see thread on that). At any rate, Nissan extends the radiator coverage to 80,000 miles and 8 yrs from the factory warranty right now. That may get expanded in this class action suit. At 10,000 miles per year, I don't think it would pay off....but I could be wrong. I don't know how you drive or use and abuse the truck. I would not purchase the extended warranty if it were me, but I never go off road and I have a manual tranny that does not have the potential "cross contamination" problem.

'08 Frontier, 4 cylinder, A/C, cruise control, manual 5 spd, radio/cd, with CREE LED back up lights from JLC
Removed back jump seats, seat covers installed on front seats, front bug shield installed on hood, mudflaps all around

#6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 07:55 AM
Shift_Newbie

I kind of slept on the idea and am leaning away from it. The stinky air has been looked at several times. The most likely conclusion that I've come up with (thanks to club frontier) is that my short commute is the reason for my stinky air. My commute to work is 2.5 miles or about 12 minutes. In the summer I blast my A/C b/c I live in VA and it's wicked hot out. Long story short, something about the evaporator coils and the condenser etc don't run long enough to function properly. So basically, moisture collects but is unable to drain off so it molds. The dealer has done the foam cleaning twice and it was great...for a few weeks maybe....then back to stinky air. I'm not moving any time soon and neither is my job. They has to be a happy compromise. 12 minute commute or not, I should be able to run my a/c. I never leave the a/c on recirculate per their advice. Not sure if it helps but I figure it can't hurt either. I know I've kind of topic jumped here but the stinky air issue continues to bother me much more than this warranty debate.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinJ View Post

. . .

Is this an OEM Nissan warranty? Is it bumper-to-bumper, or just the drivetrain? FWIW, just because a Nissan dealer is selling the warranty doesn't necessarily mean it is an OEM Nissan warranty. If it's an aftermarket warranty, be careful. A lot of these aftermarket warranties have a lot of fine print, exceptions, "gotchas", deductibles, and have a tendency to go out of business leaving you high and dry.

$2500 for six years, but how many miles? Again, is it bumper-to-bumper? Sounds a little high in any case. Haven't priced an OEM Nissan warranty lately, but I do know you can purchase an OEM Toyota Platinum, bumper-to-bumper, zero-deductible 8 year, 125k miles warranty for a 2013 4x4 Tundra for about $1600 from a few select Toyota dealers. The average Toyota dealer would typically charge $2500-$3500 for this same warranty. Most OEM warranties (from most manufacturers) can be purchased from *any* authorized dealer in the country as long as your vehicle is still under the original bumper-to-bumper warranty. There are a handful of dealers around the country that offer *massive* discounts on their respective OEM warranties. A little bit of time shopping (via your phone) can save you a ton of money. All you need is your VIN and a credit card to purchase one.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Shift_lurker

Garage

For your stinky air issue:
Get remote start and let your vehicle warm up before your drive to work.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
#9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Shift_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Nissan View Post
Is this an OEM Nissan warranty? Is it bumper-to-bumper, or just the drivetrain? FWIW, just because a Nissan dealer is selling the warranty doesn't necessarily mean it is an OEM Nissan warranty. If it's an aftermarket warranty, be careful. A lot of these aftermarket warranties have a lot of fine print, exceptions, "gotchas", deductibles, and have a tendency to go out of business leaving you high and dry.

$2500 for six years, but how many miles? Again, is it bumper-to-bumper? Sounds a little high in any case. Haven't priced an OEM Nissan warranty lately, but I do know you can purchase an OEM Toyota Platinum, bumper-to-bumper, zero-deductible 8 year, 125k miles warranty for a 2013 4x4 Tundra for about $1600 from a few select Toyota dealers. The average Toyota dealer would typically charge $2500-$3500 for this same warranty. Most OEM warranties (from most manufacturers) can be purchased from *any* authorized dealer in the country as long as your vehicle is still under the original bumper-to-bumper warranty. There are a handful of dealers around the country that offer *massive* discounts on their respective OEM warranties. A little bit of time shopping (via your phone) can save you a ton of money. All you need is your VIN and a credit card to purchase one.
I have decided against this warranty. It was for 6 years or 75k miles. Also it had a $100 deductible each time I'd need to take the truck in. I realized I was going to be paying for peace of mind which shouldn't be necessary. I am anal about maintenance and caring for my truck so it should last. Treat my truck well and it will treat me well.

I'm not sure how to delete this thread now that I've made my mind up. I'm semi new to the forum world.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

First off, smart move you are saving yourself money.

Second you don't delete the thread it stays on here for people in the future to read and learn from.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.