Vibrations? - Page 3 - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm thinking it's the u-joint(s). I've also noticed a vibration when I put the truck in gear. Say I put it in reverse to back up but don't let off the brake there is a vibration. I kind of thought it might be normal but I looked into it and I saw some threads on it and similar cases and all if not most point the u-joints. The vibration around 40-45mpg is not in the steering wheel rather the whole truck like you're on a not so smooth road. I'll have it checked when I get the oil changed.

2011 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Short Bed SV 4x4
Current Mods: OEM Hood Protector, Vent Shades, Bed Extender, Nismo Rays in the Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 12:44 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Could it be the torque converter?

2011 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Short Bed SV 4x4
Current Mods: OEM Hood Protector, Vent Shades, Bed Extender, Nismo Rays in the Garage
#23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Shift_Newbie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had a vibration around 50-60 mph, thought tires until I rebalanced them myself. I also started hearing a clicking sound at low speeds. After checking my front diff ring for lost teeth I wrapped a tow strap around the front driveline and pulled to correlate the clicking noise to the same spot on the driveline, ie not the pinion bearing as that would move with each revolution. Couldn't feel ANY slop in u joints but it was either that or pinion gear. U joints were cheapest option too at <$9 per joint. Lifetime warrantee were $15 each but not able to be greased as they have synthetic grease, I have a grease gun with amsoil synthetic marine grease already so the cheaper ones will be full of synthetic grease anyway.. Pliers to remove the clips and a large socket and a smaller one and a machinist hammer was all it took. I did remove the driveline from the truck as it's easier to do that way. I also cleaned out the slip joint and greased that with synthetic grease while it was apart. Ended up that only one of the eight u joint bearing cups were bone dry. All the others were greasy! That was causing the vibration and clicking I was having!! Btw the joint had no slop to it like every other bad u joint I've replaced..

2006 Nismo KC 4x4 6speed
Volant CAI with the powercore filter. FYI the dump truck I drive at work has a wix powercore air filter for its 12.8 liter 500 hp@1800 rpm Detroit Diesel. That's 7101 gallons of air per minute at 2100rpms!! I think I'm safe with this style filter.

Axle vent.

Cargo light always coming on with door open mod

Swapped rear diff with amsoil
Swapped front diff with amsoil
Swapped transfer case with amsoil
Swapped 6 speed manual trans with Redline mt85
^sucked so I swapped in royal purple
^sucked almost as bad so I swapped in Nissan mtf which isn't sucking, amsoil next.
Added some LED fogs to blind the idiots with drop in hid kits

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.