Nissan Frontier Forum banner

VDC Off & SLIP lights

23K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Ryno_7 
#1 · (Edited)
**Update** The issue was a blown stoplamp fuse due to a short at my canopy brake light wire.

Had them illuminate while I was at a red light. Shut the truck off and restarted and the lights went away. On the drive home the same lights illuminated again at a red light. I've searched the forum extensively and found multiple faults but no definitive answer.

Truck is a '10 KC Pro-4x 6spd. Everything is functioning normally (4wd Diff lock, Cruise, Air bags etc). Battery is less than a year old with clean terminals. Brake fluid is full, front rotors and pads are a month old. There is a light scratchy sound and an occasional click sound from the steering wheel when turning so a bad clock spring is a possibility. I noticed the previous owners canopy brake light connector might have shifted to where it may have been shorting on the utilitrack.

I forsee a trip to the dealership in my future..

#4 ·
Not the same issue, my check engine light is not on. Only my VDC Off and Slip lights illuminate after driving 10-15 minutes, they go away if I restart the truck but come back after 10-15 minutes of driving.

Did the truck stall out at all?
Did it seem harder to start than normal?
Is the CEL on?

If yes to these then have the code scanned at a part store (generally free). As AFguy05 said it's probably either the cam sensor or possibly the crankshaft position sensor. A fairly common problem on these trucks.
No check engine light. Its starting and running perfectly.

#3 ·
Had them illuminate while I was at a red light. Shut the truck off and restarted and the lights went away. On the drive home the same lights illuminated again at a red light. I've searched the forum extensively and found multiple faults but no definitive answer.

Truck is a '10 KC Pro-4x 6spd. Everything is functioning normally (4wd Diff lock, Cruise, Air bags etc). Battery is less than a year old with clean terminals. Brake fluid is full, front rotors and pads are a month old. There is a light scratchy sound and an occasional click sound from the steering wheel when turning so a bad clock spring is a possibility. I noticed the previous owners canopy brake light connector might have shifted to where it may have been shorting on the utilitrack.

I forsee a trip to the dealership in my future..
Did the truck stall out at all?
Did it seem harder to start than normal?
Is the CEL on?

If yes to these then have the code scanned at a part store (generally free). As AFguy05 said it's probably either the cam sensor or possibly the crankshaft position sensor. A fairly common problem on these trucks.

#7 ·
VDC Off and Slip came on again this morning on my way to work. My brake lights don't seem to function when the dash lights are illuminated so its likely the brake switch which is pretty common on newer Nissans. I'll check the brake fuses first in case the canopy brake light was shorting on the utilitrack but I'll bet its the brake switch at the pedal.

Is there a way to manually check codes with these trucks? Curious what fault code is throwing the dash lights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.