Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Unusually loud 2015 Pro-4X 6-speed manual transmission

6K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  shift_RUSH 
#1 · (Edited)
I just got a 2015 Pro-4x manual with 7000 miles on it. I've driven manuals for 30 years now, but never one like this. In other vehicles, I learn to smooth out the shifting, but this one often makes more noise than feels normal when pushing in the clutch, when shifting, and when re-engaging the clutch. Even when I align the RPMs well, I can't avoid the clunk/click sounds with the clutch.

With the engine off, shifting also makes a significant click sound when shifting, but not the clutch-related clicks.

Which do you think this issue most likely is?
1. This vehicle is quieter than what I'm used to, so hear the transmission more
2. The louder transmission is normal for this model and I shouldn't worry about it
3. I should get it looked at the Nissan dealer

Ideas?

Thanks!

Dale

#2 ·
Is it a lot noisier when cold, or pretty much the same as when warmed up?

#3 ·
It's a 2015 with 9000 miles, it's under warranty, get it looked at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I have the same issue with my truck but I'm pretty sure it's the backlash in the rear axle on mine. I will get a little click/clunk when I let out the clutch after making a shift. When it was brand new I noticed it was really hard to shift it smoothly without the clicking and clunking until I started shifting at a little higher rpm. Once I started running up to 2500 or so rpms the clunking is pretty much non existant. I will still get it when i'm idling thru a parking lot when you either get in or out of the throttle.

#8 ·
Mine is loud it sounds like a throw out bearing but everything is new except the transmission.
Been like that since new

#9 · (Edited)
> RE: I have the same issue with my truck but I'm pretty sure it's the backlash in the rear axle on mine. I will get a little click/clunk when I let out the clutch after making a shift. When it was brand new I noticed it was really hard to shift it smoothly without the clicking and clunking until I started shifting at a little higher rpm. Once I started running up to 2500 or so rpms the clunking is pretty much non existant. I will still get it when i'm idling thru a parking lot when you either get in or out of the throttle.

This is very interesting. I've been shifting around 1500-2000 RPMs, (2000 seems high already). 2500 seems really high, but I'm now anxious to see if the sounds go away as they did for you. Thanks for the reply!

#13 · (Edited)
I feel that shifting at only 2000 rpm your not getting enough momentum to go to the next gear without losing speed. Try 2500 and think you'll see the difference.

Clint

#10 ·
I'm a short-shifter too and it's almost impossible to shift my '12 without clunking jerking between the throttle-by-wire, dual-mass-flywheel, and normal driveline slop. Revving it up more helps a little but is kinda irksome since it's torque curve is nice and low like a truck engine ought to be. The two biggest things that help are anticipating with the skinny pedal and shifting faster (which doesn't work well till it's good and warm: doesn't grind the synchros, just feels kinda clunky like its catching on something.)

I've also been driving stick almost exclusively in various vehicles for over a decade and worked in a shop and dealership driving many different vehicles. This is the first throttle-by-wire I've owned and probably the last. I feel like a 16yo learning stick for the first time and start to get the hang of it after a month driving the frontier (I prefer the bike over 40f and have 2 other summer toys), then hop in something else like the firebird or beetle and poof shifting like a pro, smooth as an auto by the end of the block.

#11 ·
I took me awhile to figure the trucks manual trans out been driving stick since 10 on the farm and then to the backroads with my grandfather.
He all ways said if we get pulled over let him do the talking and if he ask or she ask say my grandfather was not feeling well or something in those lines.

#12 ·
So driving today in San Antonio traffic with a trailer the clutch pedal went completely up and would not go in gear all the way. So it has done this in the past I just double clutch it.
Got home and noticed a bolt on the floor board could not find were it came from so was about to throw it in my neighbor's yard, thought twice and looked under the dash to find its home.
It is the clutch pedal adj bolt so I reinstalled it and played around with adjustments.
Put the e brake on and put it in first and slowly let out the clutch till it engaged did this a few time and took the nut off and screwed the bolt all the way in. Drove it around the block and then on highway omg it feels like my sisters focus. Feels like a car not a truck not jerky smooth as glass.

#14 ·
I've noticed that my 2015 shifting is louder than my D22, D21, or 720 were. It is louder just clunking between gears sitting still without the engine running, so I think some of that may just be the design of the transmission case, or the alloy used or something, transmitting more noise externally. The truck is also quieter than previous generations when driving, so more shifting noise can be heard relative to engine and road noise.

#16 ·
For several days now, I've been trying to shift closer to 2500 rpms. Indeed, it does reduce the clunking between some gears. 1st to 2nd is hard to do smoothly at 2500 rpms. I live in mostly-flat Austin, Texas, and running up to 2500 seems unnecessary since momentum isn't lost as fast as a hilly place. However, here's my analysis based on on the various (excellent) responses posted here:

1. Accept some clunking no matter what you do. It's an unfortunate design issue with the Frontier 6-speed manual (of various years including 2015)
2. Run the RPMs up to 2500 to smooth it out between some gears
3. The quieter truck makes small transmission sounds appear worse than they are
4. I would add this: If on level ground (or downhill) and you're not in a hurry, start out in 2nd and consider going straight to 4th (or 1st then straight to 3rd).
5. I'm not sure what to make of jon_bransford's post about losing a clutch bolt and adjusting it to be smooth. Anyone else have his experience? "Feels like a car not a truck not jerky smooth as glass."

Thanks for all the great replies!

#17 · (Edited)
First manual?

Are you a experienced manual vehicle owner? Sounds like it, you said you have driven manuals 30yrs? but you make it sound like you have trouble letting out the clutch smoothly?
Off the gas 100% letting the clutch out in the next gear, I don't know?

I just made this video of mine, no weird noises even shifting at 1500rpm. Your turn :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MRGN0PfGt4&feature=youtu.be

#18 ·
Are you a experienced manual vehicle owner? Sounds like it, you said you have driven manuals 30yrs? but you make it sound like you have trouble letting out the clutch smoothly?
Off the gas 100% letting the clutch out in the next gear, I don't know?

I just made this video of mine, no weird noises even shifting at 1500rpm. Your turn :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MRGN0PfGt4&feature=youtu.be
Thanks for going to the trouble to make the video. I did not hear the clunks in your truck that I hear in mine. I may try to make a similar video and see if my phone can pick up the sounds. Any idea how similar/different the 2015 6-speed is from the 2006?

The more I listen to the clunks on mine, the more it seems like there could be some slack in the rear end or drive shaft so that when the clutch is let out, it first uses up the slack before grabbing, making the clunk. Someone in this thread called 10ring may be describing the same thing as "I have the same issue with my truck but I'm pretty sure it's the backlash in the rear axle on mine."

I'll probably ask the Nissan dealer about it when I get the truck in for the 10k service.

#19 · (Edited)
It's under warranty, I'd take it to the dealer before the 10k service. Maybe the first owner was hard on the driveline and something isn't right?

#20 ·
Will say my '15 6-sp sounds similar to Blue Devil's vid. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I had read around here that our Dana rear diff has been improved upon since '06? These are in all V6 6-sp and in all Pro4X models.

Am generally supposing there might be some differences from one 6-sp Frontier to another? These do take a bit of getting used to due to the dual mass flywheel not allowing the revs to reduce like nearly all other manual cars/trucks I've driven.

Chances are good that OP knows what sounds right/wrong...so definitely go have it checked out while under warranty. Hopefully it is a simple fix if needed. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.