Transmission error code P1757 and fix - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission error code P1757 and fix

2 weeks ago I got home from running errands and my SES light came on and the truck didn't want to move till I hit about 40ish. This was my tranny going into limp mode. When the TCM gets an error it locks the tranny in 4th for all forward driving to protect the tranny.

I ran codes and came up with a P1757. Which is Front Brake Control Solenoid error. Did a ton of research and searched on here extensively. What I found was a couple of posts for 05 Xterras and Frontiers. (I have an 05 Nismo) I was not worried about the radiator contamination. I did the bypass at 40k miles. (thanks Clubfrontier) The posts and info I did find everyone had replaced the valve body. Nissan, much like the power relay that they had to recall, does not sell the solenoids themselves, the FSM also list the fix as replacing the valve body.

Not happy with that answer I found a tranny company Makco transmissions online and talked to nice guy named Roger. He found the solenoid I needed and shipped it my way for about $70.

Drained the tranny dropped the pan and the valve body. There are ton of bolts but only about 10 that need to be pulled to drop the valve body.

When I got it out I ran an ohm test on the bad solenoid. (The front brake control solenoid is the one right in the middle. There are 3 other solenoids on either side of the front brake control solenoid.) The one on the valve body tested 6.5 ohms, unfortunately so did the brand new one. I swapped it out, w but had a sinking feeling that it would not be fixed.

So I bolted it all back together and sure enough the minute I put it in drive the SES light came on and the error code came back.

So I broke down and bought a new valve body from CoutesyNissan and had it overnight shipped. Drained the tranny and dropped the pan and valve body again and bolted in the new valve body. Filled it up with 8 quarts of Valvoline maxlife atf and fired it up.

All is well. About 800 miles since I put in the new valve body.

So here is what I have concluded from this issue.

1. if your get the P1757 error drop the valve body and ohm test the solenoid. If you get 6.5 ohms. It is most likely fine.
2. Unless you have the water contamination issue. More then likely a tranny code means the TCM (tranny computer) has died.
3. Every thing I located on this code seemed to be on 05 models vehicles and in all case but 1 the valve body got replaced. A dealership sold 1 poor guy a whole new tranny. (Ouch!)
4. Courtesynissan did a great job and had the best price I could find for the valve body. ($791.00)
5. When you drop the valve body there is one small 3 prong connector to disconnect on the bottom of the valve body and 1 connector above the valve body. Pull those 2 and unbolt and the valve body will fall out.
6. There is only 1 physical item to worry about. The shifter arm is a triangle piece of metal with a big metal button on it passenger side of tranny. That button drops into the round metal selector on the valve body.

Just for the record, Tranny was flushed by Nissan at 30k. I did 2 drain and fills at 65K. This happened at 73K miles.

Has anyone else had to have the valve body replaced? I did not find any real references on here about it? Just curious.

HTH someone,
Dan...

Last edited by Remow2112; 05-12-2011 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Fix tranny shop name spelling
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Remow2112 For This Useful Post:
AndrewVK (05-24-2011), RDUBPhoto (05-16-2011), scooter2131 (05-13-2011), ToddG (05-20-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Do you have a 1st gen or 2nd gen?

06 LE CC 4X4, RED BRAWN
#3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter2131 View Post
Do you have a 1st gen or 2nd gen?
gen2, he states "I have an 05 Nismo"

00KCDRXE
13CC4x4SV
The Following User Says Thank You to Mathster For This Useful Post:
ToddG (05-20-2014)
#4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

i'm a tard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathster View Post
gen2, he states "I have an 05 Nismo"
Wow, can't believe I read right over that. Thanks for the post Dan!

06 LE CC 4X4, RED BRAWN
#5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 03:45 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This just happened to my 05 Nismo. Currently it sits in broken transmission waiting for a valve body. Although, I got no engine code for it. Odd eh?

But I did the transmission self diagnostics test and got a code for "torque converter lockup solenoid circuit failure". O/D light is stuck and and starts in 4th.

Crazy.

05 Nismo Crew Cab @ 45K miles. It's got some mods.. [Pending sale]

07 Avalanche Xterra offroad, mods await.

See my custom computer audio infotainment system build here.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Shift_lurker

No real warning.

I didn't really get any warning when mine died. My girlfriend had complained for a while that she felt like the truck was lightly surging. I could never feel it. The only thing I noticed was if I was in 4th or 5th and I put the pedal down it seemed to take forever for the tranny to downshift.

That seems much better with the new valve body.
#7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
nice write up. thanks for the great info.
did you take any pics of the solenoid swap?
#8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Garage
Nice write up, this gives me some insight to what the wife's ben complaining about.. That might be us soon. Now i know what to look for.

-Wheeling A
Fully loaded, 05' Frontier CC/Nismo 4x4 On American Racing 17'' Fuel Rims Wrapped in 285/70/17 BFG AT Tires.
-Modded With
Nismo Exhaust & Volant Ram Intake & Brutal's Gauge Pillar.
-She flys & swims too!

Positive transactions -
BRUTAL
#9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
remow do you by chance remember the part number for the valve body and the person you talked to at courtesy? thanks
#10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 04:07 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Okay, I have a scan gauge and a code together with the SES came on last night. I checked the code and it said something like TCM, IDK what it means at all but anyway I checked the possibility of the contamination thing and no traces of oil in either my reservoir or radiator. Went to the dealer and they found same code and mechanic said it was the valve body for the transmission. My truck has 72,000 miles on it hauls anywhere from 2500lbs to 3000lbs irregularly, I dont know how hauling a hitch affects the transmission knowing that I dont even get to 50 percent capacity on the maximum. There was no logical explanation on the wear of the part-and my truck ran out of warranty 6 months ago. Quoted price for the repair is 1600 dollars. I thought Id pass the word around for the members to know whats coming their way. I wish I had the money to buy an extended warranty!

2006 CC SE radiant silver 2wd..OEM nerf bars K&N CAI OEM Hood cover-OEMmud flaps-Tints-all weather mats-scangaugeII OEM seat covers Keyless pads Undercover tonneau
soon: exhaust system- rims and much more

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.