Tpms - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 03:44 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tpms

Found a nail in the sidewall of my tire. I took it to a tire dealer and they would not patch it, said it needed to be replaced. I thanked them and left. I need to find a shop that can patch the tire. Some shops will yada yada yada and try to sell you new tires. I had a sidewall patched years ago and it held up fine. I just need to find a place that will patch it. I dont know much about TPMS. Does a sensor need to replaced if the tire is patched or do they just re-use the one I have? Is it an OEM part or can I just go to Autozone and buy one if needed?

2011 Nissan Frontier SV | Crew Cab Short Bed | 5 Speed 4.0 Liter Automatic
OEM Fog Llights Added | OEM Splash Guards Added | Window Visors Added

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
nothing will need to be done with it unless your removing it from the rim to another rim.

Frontier Facebook group.
My Build Thread
LED Headlight Review Thread

2014 Chrysler Town and Country Touring-L - 20% Tint, AVS Vent Visors, 300 Watt RMS Sub
2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Purchased 3/5/2014 -SOLD 9/18/2014
2012 CC SV 4x4 - SOLD
#3 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Good luck finding a place that will do a sidewall. Never seen a place that would touch one especially after that whole Firestone/Explorer disaster. No reputable shop will do it.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 05:32 PM
Shift_lurker

The shop I work at won't patch sidewalls nor will any shop I know. The patch may look fine when they do it, but as soon as the tire is aired up and a load is put on it, the tire will stretch and the patch will rip right off. After that your lucky if the plug stays in the hole. As for TPMS sensors, all they do is measure air pressure and report those pressures to the computer. If pressure is to low, your light comes on. TPMS sensors only need to be replaced when the batteries die (7 years, give or take) or if they somehow get broken. Hope this helped.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 05:32 PM
Shift_Hardcore

No way in hell would I patch a sidewall and run that on my vehicle.

Your last tire with a sidewall patch may have lasted just fine as you said and certainly there is a chance that the damage to this tire would not cause any long term problem.

Then again there is a good chance that it might fail catastrophically while doing 70 with a truckload of family and friends.

It might be ok to use as a spare as long as one remembers that spare has a sidewall patch and then only uses it in an emergency at low speed just long enough to get to the nearest repair shop.

Of course it's your call.

2012 Frontier Pro4X
King Cab
Automatic
Super Black (not just black but SUPER black!)
EZDown tailgate strut
Weathertech DigitalFit mats (grey)
Diamondback HD - LineX tonneau cover
#6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

I guess I will have to lower the spare from underneath the truck and see if that will suffice as a permanent replacement or if its a truck donut made for 50 miles..........

What is the difference between a flat from a hole in the tread area and flat from the sidewall when you are driving. Would one of them tend to be catastrophically My tire still has air in it along with the nail.

Last edited by FRONTIER2011; 02-17-2013 at 06:42 PM.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 06:53 PM
Shift_Obsessed

The main reason most tire shops won't do a sidewall repair, is the failure rate of the repair is rather high, due to sidewall flex. In your case since it's just a nail and not a cut, you could probably get by with having a tube put in the tire with a patch on the nail hole (good luck finding shop to do it), no TPMS on that wheel with a tube. Your spare is a full size mounted on a plain wheel with no TPMS sensor.

2010 Frontier SE V6 CC LB, built 04-2010, purchased 07-2010
Current mods: OEM foglight kit, Weathertech molded mats, locking gas cap, OEM locking lug nuts, Clarion CX501 and Sirius Connect sc-c1, OEM mud flaps/splash guards, 3in. round blind spot mirrors, Nissan logo valve stem caps, rad/trans cooler bypass, rear axle vent mod, custom lower grill insert using black mesh gutter guard material, OEM auto dim rearview mirror w/temp & compass, OEM hood protector/bug shield, 35% tint on both front windows and a windshield strip, OEM body side molding, OEM step rails, 14in. tall metal radio antenna, OEM front tow hooks (true left and right hook), OEM rope hooks in the bed, OEM special edition emblem added to tailgate.

Last edited by yesterdaysradios; 02-17-2013 at 06:59 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRONTIER2011 View Post
What is the difference between a flat from a hole in the tread area and flat from the sidewall when you are driving. Would one of them tend to be catastrophically My tire still has air in it along with the nail.
Sidewalls are not as thick and don't have steel belts protecting them like the face of a tire. They also have to deal with side loads when turning and constantly compress and stretch with every tire revolution.

As someone that drives around on public roads, don't try to hack this...do the right thing. If not for your safety, for the safety of other drivers.

'06 - CC - VQ40 - AT
#9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 07:00 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

I wonder if my tires came with road hazard warranty?
These tires are originals with 14k on them.

#10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 07:02 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRONTIER2011 View Post
I wonder if my tires came with road hazard warranty?
These tires are originals with 14k on them.
Get out your owners manual packet and look at it. There should be a tire brochure there.

2010 Frontier SE V6 CC LB, built 04-2010, purchased 07-2010
Current mods: OEM foglight kit, Weathertech molded mats, locking gas cap, OEM locking lug nuts, Clarion CX501 and Sirius Connect sc-c1, OEM mud flaps/splash guards, 3in. round blind spot mirrors, Nissan logo valve stem caps, rad/trans cooler bypass, rear axle vent mod, custom lower grill insert using black mesh gutter guard material, OEM auto dim rearview mirror w/temp & compass, OEM hood protector/bug shield, 35% tint on both front windows and a windshield strip, OEM body side molding, OEM step rails, 14in. tall metal radio antenna, OEM front tow hooks (true left and right hook), OEM rope hooks in the bed, OEM special edition emblem added to tailgate.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.