Towing a Popup camper - Page 4 - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Here are some pics with it setup in the yard.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 07:36 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Nice rig! What's the longest you've stayed out with it? It looks pretty comfortable, even for a lengthy trip.
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

It's brand new so no time in it yet. Our good friends have had one for 3 years and we stayed with them a number of times. Having AC for sleeping at night is the best part as sleeping in the middle of summer in a tent in Georgia is not very comfortable.
post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by murchman View Post
It's brand new so no time in it yet. Our good friends have had one for 3 years and we stayed with them a number of times. Having AC for sleeping at night is the best part as sleeping in the middle of summer in a tent in Georgia is not very comfortable.
Yea, its cool you have air. We used it at Pirate Land (beach) last summer.
Nothing worse then trying to sleep while you stick to your sheets or bag.

2011 Nissan Frontier SV | Crew Cab Short Bed | 5 Speed 4.0 Liter Automatic
OEM Fog Llights Added | OEM Splash Guards Added | Window Visors Added

post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to Dennis
Quote:
Originally Posted by murchman View Post
The ground clearance is really nice compared to normal Popup's and the Sumerset guys do a really good job of building it with metal and screws in places where others use wood and staples which will help it when in the rough stuff.
Sumerset is owned by Columbia Northwest. They have been making the A-Liners for years. They bought the old Fleetwood/Coleman folding camper line and brought most of the employees with it. The trailers are very close to the old versions and most of the parts are the same.

I have a Jayco and after seeing my friends Coleman in person I can tell you that they are the best built pop ups. So you have a very nice trailer my friend.

Here is my rig. I think we were a bit overloaded but the truck handled it fine.

And here it is set up

“You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred.” - Woody Allen

09 CC SE 4x4
2" Spacer Lift, AFE CAI, AFE MACH Force XP Cat Back Exhaust, 285/75-16 Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx, Defiant Truck Products Light Bar, Hella 700FF Driving Lights, Titus Products Hi-Lift Mount, Titus Products Spare Tire Mount, Titus Products Cargo Box
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Nice, just a bit overloaded which seems pretty easy to do with the Truck.
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 03:45 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Thanked 1,124 Times in 816 Posts
Garage
Send a message via MSN to Mhannis Send a message via Yahoo to Mhannis Send a message via Skype™ to Mhannis
riding remarkably level on the trailer end of things for having the truck be so far drooped. perhaps for a rig that isnt intended for lift/rock crawling/articulation needs, some air bags would be of use for towing something like that.

my brother put airbags in his '12 kc and has it ride level when loaded with a water tank hauling it to and from his apartment.
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Shift_Fanatic

You can see in the second picture how the truck sits when its unloaded. It is slightly higher in the front.

The tongue of the trailer is heavy. In the pic I have 2 full propane bottles, two 6 volt golf cart batteries, the storage trunk is loaded with gear and so is the bed.

The truck handled fine and stopped fine, it was bumps like railroad tracks that I had to take it easy over. It climbed a 9% grade between 35-40 mph as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhannis View Post
riding remarkably level on the trailer end of things for having the truck be so far drooped. perhaps for a rig that isnt intended for lift/rock crawling/articulation needs, some air bags would be of use for towing something like that.

my brother put airbags in his '12 kc and has it ride level when loaded with a water tank hauling it to and from his apartment.
I will be adding the OME medium duty springs soon. I only tow this heavy once a year, all the other trips are much lighter because we don't bring as much.

“You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred.” - Woody Allen

09 CC SE 4x4
2" Spacer Lift, AFE CAI, AFE MACH Force XP Cat Back Exhaust, 285/75-16 Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx, Defiant Truck Products Light Bar, Hella 700FF Driving Lights, Titus Products Hi-Lift Mount, Titus Products Spare Tire Mount, Titus Products Cargo Box

Last edited by Dennis; 02-19-2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 03:59 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Thanked 1,124 Times in 816 Posts
Garage
Send a message via MSN to Mhannis Send a message via Yahoo to Mhannis Send a message via Skype™ to Mhannis
bags would give you the flexibility that springs wouldnt. so if you only towed that once a year, you could have your ride corrected for that load, then returned to normal afterwards. so you dont have to run stiffer springs year-round for a once a year deal.
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 04:10 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhannis View Post
bags would give you the flexibility that springs wouldnt. so if you only towed that once a year, you could have your ride corrected for that load, then returned to normal afterwards. so you dont have to run stiffer springs year-round for a once a year deal.
True. But I am also looking for some lift to go with the Titan Swap I have planned. I have done a ton of reading and the OME springs are the way to go for me.

09 CC SE 4x4

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.