Nissan Frontier Forum banner

tools/equipment

4K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  whistler 
#1 · (Edited)
After the post about welding, I am curious what everybody thinks about what tools or equipment are most important to them.I am omitting the common tools such as screwdrivers ,pliers,hammers etc.
So here is my list of top ten tools and not in any special order.
welder/welders
chop saws
tube bender
milling machine
compressor
4 1/2 grinders
impact wrench
hand drill
vise
protractor/angle finder(not sure if this would be common but I use them almost everyday).

#2 ·
Torque wrench
Flare wrench
Swivel sockets
Deep sockets
Vise grips
Metric tap and die set
Left hand drill bits/extractor
Floor jack and jack stands
Drop light and flashlights
...just to start

#3 ·
That's fine but I consider most you listed as common tools.

#4 ·
my Dewalt Cordless ! # 1
my S & K old school socket set # 2
and my 3 ton floor jack !! # 3
all my favorite tools !

#6 ·
Yes,I have them all over the place.The fabric ones.

#7 ·
The slat wall to organize, and my welding table for a good heavy work surface.

I have too many tools, and they all serve their purpose. But I will say my Hitachi gas blower, and Hitachi 12v drill have been used much more than expected. I own 6 cordless drills, 18v-36, and unless I am running augers, or using big drill bits, I always grab that 12v.

The gas blower, i keep in my truck in the winter now, and use it to clean it off quickly. I also find myself going out and trying to see how far I can get things to move.

#8 ·
I don't think you can have too many tools.
Like we say about fishing rods."How many rods do you need?One more than you own".
I have cordless drills but get upset when the batteries die.Prefer the ones with the cords.My right angle Makita is the exception.I have two 1/2 drill motors.Use to use it a lot with my notcher but I use my mill more now days.1/2 hammer drill for drilling cement.

#12 ·
Dremel tool. That thing can do so much more than most people give credit for.
Safety wire
Some item for scouring the internet(if you're stuck, the internet can be the best tool)

In addition to what has already been mentioned, these common ones are make or break things:
Duct tape
WD40
Hammer
beer

zip ties are also good to have around.

#13 · (Edited)
in addition to all mentioned, smart phone, punches, oxy_fuel torches for heating or cutting stubborn stuff. The slightly angled reversible gearwrenches have proven to be the best use of my money so far, followed by the gearwrench ratcheting screwdriver set with t handle, sockets and various driving bits

Didn't notice if these were mentioned, but fancy obd2 scanner and digital multimeter as well

#15 ·
I need a band saw.Preferably a 14 inch metal cutting one.Just no room for it right now.I have a regular chop saw,an "evolution"one with a blade,sawzall,orbital and regular jig saws,skill saw,plasma cutter,cutting torch,etc.None will work as well as a band saw in certain situations.I have enough room for a small lathe then it's time for an addition.

#18 ·
Wow, I actually know what that is! I remember seeing the gas station attendants use that spout. My father never had one though. He would just punch a hole in the oil can with his pocket knife and pour it in. He would waste about half of the fluid before finally getting in the hole. That's probably why there's a seven year gap between my sister and I. :laugh:

#19 ·
I don't do any heavy fab work so I have no need for most of the tools mentioned but I do a lot of car audio and home improvement projects. The odd tool that has made things so much easier is my little Topeak Ratchet Rocket it's a tiny ratchet designed to use screwdriver bits. It's much smaller than using a 1/4" ratchet with a 1/4" socket and the bit, it's saved me A LOT of frustration over the years.

Topeak® Cycling Accessories ? Products - Ratchet Rocket?

#20 ·
Got tired of my compressor turning off and on when using my die grinders.Just bought a Makita electric one.Works well and is quiet.Lot bigger than my air ones but is not too bad.

#21 ·
It'd almost be worth asking what people do in the shop and their experience along with what tools they like. None of us is going to have the same collection obviously. I mean I usually introduce myself as a mechanic that does occasional home-repair but most would be surprised at my carpentry and rigging tools (even some of my methods of auto repair) until I mention I also started out doing tech theatre.

As for what tools, hard to say. Depends on what I'm working on that day.
-A good Vice and solid workbench to mount it to are beyond value in almost any job or field.
-12v milwaukee impact is up there, not necessary but I do use it almost regardless what I'm working on. (yes I have bigger hitters when the job requires but I use this most frequently regardless of the job).
-Good air compresser and distribution system.

A lot of good general things like good lighting, clean work space, stocked fridge, and internet access are a given.

#22 · (Edited)
I pretty much built everything I did to the truck in my garage,by myself.I did not do the cage because of safety concerns.I am glad I didn't because I could not have come close to the quality of workmanship that "Wright Fabrication" did.
The company I worked for sent me to Indianapolis to take a class on an overhead gantry we bought.What impressed me was how clean the city was.

I have trouble with a clean workplace.

#24 ·
I have a Tree mill.That was the preferred mill at the company I worked for. Still looking for a lathe.

#25 ·
Tree

Attachments

#27 ·
Southbend is still in business but they are made in China.They must have better quality since they are twice the price of others made there.I am still looking for a Monarch tool room lathe.

#28 · (Edited)
I have a Rockwell with a 40" bed and 14" swing. Its in the back of my shop and not in service. Hasn't been since 2003. I want to set it back up, but I dont have the floorspace any longer. Its a great Heavy Duty lathe, but the reverse gear keeps stripping teeth, and those gears are almost impossible to get any more.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.