Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Timing Chain guide shoes

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  xtopherfishing 
#1 ·
In prep to replace the secondary guides I have been researching the material type. I believe the new guides to be PA 46 Nylon. its a pretty common material for all car manufacturers. Does anyone know if the original was a PA 66?.

fyi check out this link

https://www.dsm.com/content/dam/dsm/automotive/en_US/documents/friction-reduction-a-hot-topic-english-translation-technische-kunststoffe-10-2012.pdf

it brings up the topic of oil viscosity but not in detail. Is a 30 w too light for this chain design ? I don't know if we get a glass reinforced version of a PA 46 but the standard version is a Hardness Rockwell M of 92. Very thin contact surface Nissan could have put a little meat on the bone there.

#2 ·
Joined the tension replacement club this past weekend. replace primary and secondary chains and guides, water pump and thermostat. 79K miles. Secondary chain was taking a bite out of the post. Primary guides had some friction and heat stress signs.

Attachments

#4 ·
That article is a pretty interesting read. Based on my experience I was under the impression that Nissan had some inconsistencies in the plastic used for their shoes. I had to replace mine around 55K. At that time one shoe was worn completely through and the chain was in contact with the metal on the tensioner. But, the other shoe was quite the opposite. It did exhibit some modest wear but, it was what I would have expected at that mileage and it certainly looked as though it would have lasted the life of the engine.
The finish on both chains seemed comparable; no rough edges on one, so that appeared to rule them out as a cause. So that left the shoe material as an issue. If the jobber that Nissan used to mold the shoes did not purge the equipment adequately between jobs they could have had random contamination in some lots and if they tried to recycle material in incorrect ratios to virgin resin that can have drastic effects on part performance, also very randomly. That would easily explain the randomness of shoe problems; some people have experienced early and repeat problems while others have had no problems and that could explain why such drastically different wear could be exhibited by two parts in the same engine, with the same age.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.