Timing chain/belt on 2006 6 cyl - should replace? - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Shift_Newbie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Timing chain/belt on 2006 6 cyl - should replace?

Just wondering, I don't have the manual with recommended replacements. Couldn't really see anything online either.

I have about 88k miles on my 2006 Frontier SE 6cyl. Is it recommended to have the timing belt/chain replaced at this point? My father is under the impression that if that goes, it can ruin the engine and apparently the Frontier had issues with this in the past?

What other recommended replacements should one have at this mileage?

At the garage, they recommend hundreds/thousands of dollars for recommended replacements of which I always decline.

To date, I've just changed the brakes and oil and recently flushed and replaced the coolant for the first time.
At the garage, at around 50k I had the driveshaft and UV joint replaced under warranty. Just recently at about 85k I had another UV joint replaced out of warranty.

I also noticed a loud whining noise inside the engine, near the serpentine belt. It would disappear and come back until it finally appeared again and held on for weeks constantly. Of course, when I took it to the garage, that very day it stopped and has never return.

When I first bought the truck, I noticed for the first 10k miles I had a whine sound that sounded belt like when it was really cold out. Garage never found anything. Wondering if it's the same thing.

Any advice would be appreciated. I would like to keep this truck for a long time but also don't want to be replacing parts/ spending money without need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HKYStormFront
the v6 engine in 2nd gen frontiers is a timing chain engine, not a belt. typically the timing belts need to be replaced around 100k miles in most cars, but not the chains. in theory it should last the life of the vehicle... in theory. some motors are "zero tolerance" engines which means if the timing gear were to stop (or break) the pistons will contact the valves which can ruin an engine, maybe that's what your dad was talking about?

Patrick // 06 KC Nismosis 6 spd Storm Gray
Mods: lots... Uprev tuned: 257whp & 292 ft lbs
09 Pontiac G8 GXP // M6 // Sunroof // Tint... For Now
http://jpmcgphotography.smugmug.com <-- My Photography

"I prefer to drive manuals because I prefer to drive, not be driven."
#3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Shift_Obsessed

sounds like your chain guides are worn.
I think Im starting to get that on my gen2 X also.
Like HKY said, chains are good for life, just the early chains chewed up the guides.

00KCDRXE
13CC4x4SV
#4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Shift_Obsessed

You might want to replace the water pump while your in their.

06 MAJESTIC BLUE 4X2 LE KC
#5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 12:24 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier2 View Post
You might want to replace the water pump while your in their.
+1, it's not much more to do it if you are already in there (water pumps are driven by the timing chain, not the serpentine belt, so they are inside the timing chain cover)

#6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

so im at 103K with no noises except start up rattling noise people have talked about should i replace the secondary chains and ware pads or just change all the chain ware pads?
thanks
#7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKYStormFront View Post
+1, it's not much more to do it if you are already in there (water pumps are driven by the timing chain, not the serpentine belt, so they are inside the timing chain cover)
forgot about this thread but i should note that our water pump IS actually on the front accessories, not driven by the chain like all the other VQ's out there. not sure why but that's our trucks

#8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Shift_lurker

I just wanted to add that Sincraft's father was right about the timing "belt" issue. I had a '93 with the 3.0 liter V6. In those days they DID have timing belts. At 60K miles, the recommended service interval, I took mine in to the dealer and it cost $700 to have the belt replaced (remember that this is when $700 was worth more than it is today!). I believe because of the cost of replacing belts and customers complaining or worse a belt would break and ruin an engine, they went back to chains and I am very happy that they did.
#9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Just to clarify some info.

The VQ40 is an interference motor. This means that if/when the chain breaks, the pistons will impact the valves.

The VG30 and VG33 had belts. The VQ40 has a chain.

If you are replacing any part of the chain on your own dime, replace them all including guides. Replace the water pump and then see if there is anything else that is in there. This will save you labor charges down the line.

To check if the whine is internal or external, remove serp belt and give it a few revs. If you still hear the whine, then it is internal and most likely the chain/tensioners.

07 SE CC Auto
#10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Shift_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincraft View Post

When I first bought the truck, I noticed for the first 10k miles I had a whine sound that sounded belt like when it was really cold out. Garage never found anything. Wondering if it's the same thing.
That sounds like the belt tensioner, nothing to really be concerned about but it is annoying. LOTS of people including myself have this problem for a minute or so when its cold out

2006 Frontier black CC 2wd,6 speed, black UWS toolbox, 20% tint, Rough Country 2.5" lift, Bilstein 5100's

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.