Throttle Body cleaning from dealer..... - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Throttle Body cleaning from dealer.....

Had 60K maintainence done on my '05 Frontier last week. Coolant flush, tranny drain and fill, front and rear diff change, etc.

Afterwards they said the truck looked good but suggested I have a throttle body cleaning performed for $72. They said it was very dirty and had a carbon looking material smeared on the work sheet. I've never cleaned the throttle body. Is this something I can do myself and is recommomended? The dealer said it would improve fuel economy and acceleration. IS this true? Honestly I do notice that my fuel milage is not as good as it used to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

it wouldn't hurt, and it is pretty easy to do just take it off and scrub it down with throttle body cleaner. Be careful not to move the butterfly, some say that moving it by hand will damage the electronics. Although I moved it by hand accidentally when I cleaned mine and nothing happened. Note that if you disconnect the wire harness on the TB or MAF sensor the manual recommends you reset your ecu, and perform air volume learning (easy)

This is all copied from another thread, but the one you need is the idle air volume learning.

Quote:
ECU Resetting Procedures

The Easy Method:

After experimenting with different timing, and reading posts by other members, I've come up with a condensed method of doing this reset. This method works EVERY time, even w/o a stopwatch. I've used this method successfully a dozen times, or so, now w/o a watch. After a few times, you won't need a watch or instructions. You'll get so darn good at it, you'll find yourself doing it while waiting at a traffic light.

Timing is not as critical with this method...no stop watch needed. Just count in your head...one-one thousand, two-one thounsand, etc, or use stop watch. The most critical step is step #3....wait 10 sec, instead of 7.

1. Ignition "ON", count to 3.
2. Depress/Release pedal 5 times...hard and fast.
3. Count to 10 (not 7!) and fully depress pedal
4. Count to 12 (SES should be blinking), release pedal
5. Count to 10, depress pedal
6. Count to 10, release pedal.
7. Turn off ignition, then start engine. Done!

Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning
Operation Procedure

1. Make sure that the accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
4. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning
Operation Procedures

1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch is “ON”.
3. Turn ignition switch is “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
Make sure that the throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

Idle Air Volume Learning (Throttle Position Learning)
It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.
Operation Procedures
1. Perform “Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning”.
2. Perform “Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning”.
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
5. Conform that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
6. Repeat the following (steps 7a, 7b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
7a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD)
7b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the Check Engine Light (CEL) stops blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the CEL is ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure the idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications

05' nismo 6speed 4x4, ARB air locker, T-Swapped, M205, 4.56 gears, 35" BFG AT KO's, K&N CAI, IMS, TBS, uprev, Shrocked front, Sliders, under armor, 2" BL, Heim outer tie rods, dual batteries, ARB compressor, shackles, bastard leaf pack, Borla Dual Exhaust Build, Rear Bumper Build

Last edited by haveacigar; 12-27-2011 at 12:02 AM. Reason: DONT USE CARB CLEANER
#3 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 07:46 PM
JNR
Shift_Hardcore

I would stay away from carb cleaner, due to some sensors' incompatibility, but do get some of the throttle body spray (similar, but sensor safe)...Do it yourself, as $72 is ridiculous, when a can of this stuff is ~$3-5.

Basically, you remove the air intake tract [keep engine off], open butterfly on TB (use a screwdriver w/o marring it to keep it open since we have DBW), attach the red hose thing onto the can (make sure it's tight! you don't want it coming off) and spray the entire contents inside, and some on the throttle body blade where it pivots, as well as any passages these TB's have; otherwise just spray it inside the plenum...I like to make a long extender hose so it can get way back there, but whatever you do it has to be tight, as you don't want to fish something out of there, lol...let it sit for a couple minutes, reinstall your intake tract and start the truck...it will not want to start at first, but after awhile it will...keep it revved for a bit to make sure it sucks in all the spray and you're good to go.

Reason you can't do it while it's running on these is it uses a MAF sensor and doubt it will idle well or at all with the intake tract off.

Last edited by JNR; 12-26-2011 at 07:50 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNR View Post
I would stay away from carb cleaner, due to some sensors' incompatibility, but do get some of the throttle body spray (similar, but sensor safe)...Do it yourself, as $72 is ridiculous, when a can of this stuff is ~$3-5. ...
An excellent point -- if our throttle bodies are Teflon-lined (and many are), carb cleaner will strip the Teflon lining away leaving the throttle body more prone to future dirt buildup.

2006 SE CC 4x2 6-Speed 4.0L w/Power Package & ABLS, Red Brawn, Nissan Step Rails, Hood Protector and Soft Tonneau, Clarion CX501, Stock Speakers, Pioneer TS-T110 Tweeters and LED Reverse Lights
#5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mine is bored out, so no teflon.
Just use a clean shop rag with contact cleaner to wipe the residue away.
I've never worried about moving the butterfly plate, the ECU does a position check each time you switch the key to the run position, if you don't start it.

2010 Pro-4X KC in Radiant Silver
The modifications never end...........

San Diego Uprev
http://socalperformanceracing.com/
#6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNR View Post
.Do it yourself, as $72 is ridiculous, when a can of this stuff is ~$3-5.
Your paying mostly for labor, and 72$ is CHEAP! Assuming that the shop is somewhere around 100$/hr, your paying for less than 45 mins of work.

It its a common service on nissans, do an idle air volume learn and a throttle position learn after cleaning.

2011 FRONTIER SV 4X4 6SPD CC/LB Knight Armour
Lifted, truetrac, injen, ims, bullydog, skids, HID projectors, WRP underdrive crank pulley, blah, blah blah
#7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 12:05 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzIngarage View Post
An excellent point -- if our throttle bodies are Teflon-lined (and many are), carb cleaner will strip the Teflon lining away leaving the throttle body more prone to future dirt buildup.
good point, I better fix that...

05' nismo 6speed 4x4, ARB air locker, T-Swapped, M205, 4.56 gears, 35" BFG AT KO's, K&N CAI, IMS, TBS, uprev, Shrocked front, Sliders, under armor, 2" BL, Heim outer tie rods, dual batteries, ARB compressor, shackles, bastard leaf pack, Borla Dual Exhaust Build, Rear Bumper Build
#8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 12:40 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed demon View Post
Your paying mostly for labor, and 72$ is CHEAP! Assuming that the shop is somewhere around 100$/hr, your paying for less than 45 mins of work.

It its a common service on nissans, do an idle air volume learn and a throttle position learn after cleaning.
$72 is NOT cheap, considering it takes less than 5 mins to do it.

Flat blade screwdriver...loosen the clamp holding the intake to the throttle body....pull intake away from throttle body.....spray throttle body cleaner into throttle body until clean, maybe wipe residue with a rag.....put intake on throttle body.....tighten clamp....done.

No need for idle air volume learn or throttle body position learn. It will do any "learning" needed within the first few minutes of driving.

$5 throttle body cleaner from walmart, 5 minutes of your time, $67 still in your pocket.

Ryan
2008 CC Nismo 4x4
Superchips Cortex, AEM Brute Force intake, WRP Crank Pulley, XTP IMS, custom magnaflow dual exhaust, OME HD 608's w/Bilstein 5100 Adjustables, 3" AC AALs, adjustable shackles, 5125 Bilsteins, 2" body lift, 285/75/16 GY Wrangler MTR's, custom sliders, NXRocks skid plates, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Heftyfab Bumper, Lokka front diff locker
#9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:31 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

To clean it properly, it should be taken off. You can get away without taking it off, but to clean it so that your actually doing something, you need to clean the gap between the throttle blade and the throttle body. Only way to do that is to move the throttle blade, once you do that iavl and tp should be relearnt. It will not self learn, that's why there is the procedure.
If you want to half *** it, go for it.

2011 FRONTIER SV 4X4 6SPD CC/LB Knight Armour
Lifted, truetrac, injen, ims, bullydog, skids, HID projectors, WRP underdrive crank pulley, blah, blah blah
#10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 02:30 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Send a message via AIM to 1stNISSAN
Never cleaned any of my cars or trucks. I dont think its necessary. My 1991 Integra went 216k miles and still strong when it was sold. 1993 Toyota pickup went 250k, and was running great before the problem plagued 3.0 v6 cylinder went out. Current frontier is at 85k and gets the same mpg's as when it was new. I've never cleaned any tb.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.