Those with canopies/toppers/camper shells... - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Shift_Fanatic
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Those with canopies/toppers/camper shells...

Namely second gens. What brand did you get? Model? Features? How do you like it?

Im thinking of fetting one as Im tired of my new truck being inundated with dag hair + I almost never need an open bed anymore. Looking at cab hi models. The prices from the selling lots are crazy marked up. Find a deal??

www.nissanwheelers.com

JUST FRIGGIN BY-PASS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

I have a LEER on mine and it's not too bad, not water proof by any means. I think I paid 1300 or so. But I also had them install the Thule rack "system" in it too which was 200-300 dollar option. I was told if you do this after (drill into the shell), it could void the warranty. If you want a nice one, Snugtop is the way to go. I was quoted over 2000 for one of those.

Good luck.

2006 4x4 SE KC 6 Speed-Traded in
2010 Pro-4X CC 4x4

Nismo CAI
Flowmaster Cat Back Exhaust
Superchips Tuned

#3 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

I purchased a ARE "V" series cab high topper back in Oct for $1150 + tax. Only option I got on it was a fold down front window ($50ish). Does the job and doesn't leak. I've always had ARE toppers on my trucks and have always been satisfied with the construction, paint, etc.

2011 Nissan Pro-4X CC, 4x4, Automatic, ARE Topper, LINE-X'd Fender Flares & rockers, Goodyear Duratracs
#4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 12:56 AM
Shift_Fanatic
Premium Member

Looked at a Leer 100xl, darn nice looking but dang!!! $1600!! Shew! Now Im thinkung about one of those collapsible canvas ones.

Greaseball, what kind of gun is that in your avatar? Walther somthinerother?

www.nissanwheelers.com

JUST FRIGGIN BY-PASS!!
#5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 01:31 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

I got a Vision for my 08 KC. Paid about $1200 for it new and the only features I got were the fold down window.

The shell itself is great and doesn't leak even after adding a yakima rack but I found that Frontiers have small holes near the front top of the bed you can barely see from the outside. Have to climb into the bed and look under the rails near the corner. Filled those with silicone and so far the bed has been water tight.

If you do get a shell I recommend using the standard shell gasket on the bed along with another layer of frost king weather stripping outside of that. And using 6 clamps instead of 4 to hold the shell on. Also decide if you want to use the factory liner or a bedrug in advance as you have to pull the shell off to get a bedliner in or out. I got a bedrug in mine for camping and so far it's been great.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 03:16 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
Looked at a Leer 100xl, darn nice looking but dang!!! $1600!! Shew! Now Im thinkung about one of those collapsible canvas ones.

Thats a Walther PPS(great gun, but most Walthers are..), and this is a good question, maybe Ill get one down the road(definitely love the utility they add), but for now Im LOVING my Peragon Bed Cover(which is not what youre in the market for)

2011 CC Auto. Pro-4X
#7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 03:45 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I bought an ARE off a member here. I want to add a "windoor" in the spring. They're always on CL around here. You just have to verify size and fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4FishingFrontier View Post
I found that Frontiers have small holes near the front top of the bed you can barely see from the outside. Have to climb into the bed and look under the rails near the corner. Filled those with silicone and so far the bed has been water tight.

If you do get a shell I recommend using the standard shell gasket on the bed along with another layer of frost king weather stripping outside of that. And using 6 clamps instead of 4 to hold the shell on.
I'll have to check for those holes. Just so I'm clear, you are running the stripping side-by-side, correct? Or did you mean stacked on top?

When I asked a dealer to buy 2 additional clamps he acted like I was crazy. Great suggestions!

08 Black SE CC 4x4 6sp
Bedlined grille, billet inserts, Fogs, smoked tail & 3rd lights, Stubby, ARE cap, Clarion CX501, Cobra 75 and Wilson 4', Rogue Key, IMS, Volant, Install Magnaflow 15580
Suspension Radflo 2.0, Bill 5125 & OME Med Duty leaf pack
Tires/Wheels BFG AT/KO 265/75/16 on Pro Comp 7089s
Protection NxRocks-rad/engine/trans, Shrocks-T-case, Hefty-GT, BTF-diff cover (Mag-Hytec gasket), Demello Offroad DIY sliders, KMA front bumper (modified), TAG rear bumper
Future
POR15/bedline bumper
#8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 08:25 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post

As above, Walther PPS = my carry weapon. It's nice to buy a gun with my name on it too!

2011 Nissan Pro-4X CC, 4x4, Automatic, ARE Topper, LINE-X'd Fender Flares & rockers, Goodyear Duratracs
#9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Shift_Hardcore

cab height may look a little better but taller caps are allot easier to get in and out of and more practical - below was 1600. with both side windows sliding, fabric lining, and battery dome light, tinted glass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CNF Trip 008.jpg
Views:	6319
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	34908  
#10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

If you decide on a liftable hard cover, check out Armor Lid. I got one and love it. Got mine for $450 shipped.

2011 Avalanche Frontier Pro-4X CrewCab
Curt Mfg Receiver Hitch
Armor Lid Hard Cover
Raptor Series 4" Oval Tubes
Nissan Hood Protector

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.