Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Sylvania zXe headlight bulbs

6K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Mach1tosh 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried these out yet? They are supposed to be their brightest light yet, with the look of LEDs. Just wondering, because at 40 years old, nighttime driving isn't what it used to be. lol. Is bulb #9007 the one for our trucks? 2nd gen 2016 SVCC

#3 ·
At 53, I find the stock ('15 SV KC) headlights dim and yellow-ish...and the high beams are quite disappointing as well.
My gal's '13 Honda Fit has significantly better light distribution & are significantly brighter whether low or high beams...they project a whiter light.
Fwiw, I wear/need a very weak prescription lens for driving/seeing distances. These really assist in reading street signs when it's dark. I never wore or needed glasses until I turned 48.
:nerd:

#4 ·
I've switched back to oem grade bulbs. I found whiter light to perform poorly in rain and fog, where I was hoping to improve. Reading into the matter, it's not just my eyes. The white/blue wave length is absorbed in mist and reflects off rain drops and wet road surfaces.

#11 ·
I was using Philips 9007 Crystalvision Ultra until I did my HID projectors retrofit last year.
I had Sylvania Silverstar Ultras forever but they didn't last much longer than a year or so. Where I work we carry Philips and the CV's (Crystal Vision) have been on for over three years still working great. Also, I have headlights on the entire time the truck is running.

OP, if I may make a suggestion, please stay with 55W and not be tempted to upgrade the wattage to 85W that some of the extreme bulbs provide. We sell a great deal of patch pigtails to shops when the higher wattage melts the bulb harness.

#6 ·
Ive been researching bulbs in the last few weeks since I decided no more HID's for me because of the damn fire I had in my engine bay.

The consensus that I could find online is that the philips xtreme vision and the PIAA xtreme white plus are the brightest lights you can get.. Silverstar lights seem to be OK but are very hit or miss for life and some people report them not being that much brighter. Unfortunately having a brighter light means its life will be drastically shortened compared to conventional lights.. If you can afford to pay the extra money replacing bulbs every 6-12 months then the philips or PIAA might be for you..

LED headlights seem to be picking up steam, I have no experience with these but it will be interesting to see how they perform. I may end up getting a set after we get our fog lights from the group buy so everything will match up color wise

#7 ·
Was your HID lighting fused? I don't understand how it caught on fire if it was. I have been using my HID's for about 19 months now without a problem with the wiring. I ran the Philips for 3 years and they performed well for me. I use my headlights for DRL's during the daylight so I put plenty of hours on them but they did not burn out on me. I tried Silverstars and PIAA before the Philips. I had the best service and performance from the Philips. Not sure about how LED headlights perform on our trucks but my HID projectors and my Morimoto LED fogs are close to the same color temp.

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
#14 ·
I didn't melt a harness, but the outer lens on my impreza with those zxe bulbs. granted the projector sits pretty close to the plastic in that design, but I never had another bulb get things that hot. And this was in the middle of winter. Those bulbs went in the trash

#16 ·
Last month I put in a set of GE Nighthawk Premium Xenon bulbs. I doubt that there's much Xenon at work there but they are brighter/clearer than the 3 year old Sylvania OEM bulbs.
We'll see how long they last, I wasn't impressed by the length of use listed on the Sylvania Silver Star and the like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.