Sway Bar End Link Problems!!! - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sway Bar End Link Problems!!!

I know a lot of people have had problems with a squeak in the front suspension when turning in somewhere, usually at slow speeds, over rough terrain, pretty much anytime the front end flexes. Some have described it as a metal clunking noise.

Mine has done this for a couple of years and have finally found a solution. In many cases it is the Front sway bar end link. Evidently the top washer for the bushings either comes off or was left off allowing the sway bar to push the bushing up over the nut leaving a gap for the sway bar to move around in (creating a squeaky noise) and also allowing it to sometimes bind and then pop loose (creating a metallic clunk sound).

If you want to check yours look behind the front brakes and you will see a bar that the sway bar mounts to. It should look something like this.

The sway bar should be held tightly between the two bushings on the top. If not, you've probably got the same problem.

I am going to Nissan to talk to them about it Monday and the service manager (actually a great guy) said that even though my warranty is up, since I had brought the truck up there for the noise SEVERAL times before my warranty ran out and they didn't find anything, he may fix it for me and count it as warranty.

Hope this helps someone!

ALSO: Check out 4x4 COUNTRY. Free Online Game
http://www.4x4country.net/register.php?REF=14379

1999 Sierra SLT ECSB 2wd--Tow-Locking Diff, 5.3L, 3.42 gears, Dynomax S/T.
Exhaust Clip : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y-TYK3zONU

Click Here For Pics of My Truck and Videos of My Exhaust, Intake, and 0-60 Run!
Traded: 1999 Nissan Frontier XE K/C, KA24DE, 4.375 Rear Gear, Auto, 2WD, Black Emerald Green, 35% Front Tint, 245/60/15 Tires, 4WD Machined Finished Wheels, Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake, Dual Tip Rear Exit Exhaust!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Garage
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
The pic you posted I don't beleive is a compatible part on the Gen 2's.

2006 Frontier CC 4x4 LE NISMO SPORT Stormgray -
Performance: Airaid Quickfit CAI w/AEM dry filter, XTP I.M.S., 2* Advance,TB Screen mod, Magnaflow Y-pipe, SuperChips Cortex, JBA Headers
Exterior: OEM steps, Nissan hood guard, Morrimoto HID Retrofit D2S, Black Bullet BullBar, Totron offroad LED lights, Hidden Hitch, Nismo skidplates, Extang tonneau,custom Thule rack/wind deflector,Billet Grill
Interior: Pioneer AVIC-X930BT Navi, Blue LED Gauges
Suspension: PRG Advanced 4WD 2.5" lift w/TC UCAs & 4x Radflos, 1" DIY BL, Susp. Connect. Titan Sway bar bushings
Wheels/Tires: American Outlaw Buckshot 17x9 wheels, Dick Cepek Fun Country II tires
Other: McMaster-Carr Hood lift,

Last edited by NCFronty; 12-06-2006 at 09:28 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Shift_Hardcore

That pic is not the actual part for the nissan but it is similar. I haven't looked at the suspension of a 2nd gen so I can't say for sure but hopefully they have improved it.

Traded: 1999 Nissan Frontier XE K/C, KA24DE, 4.375 Rear Gear, Auto, 2WD, Black Emerald Green, 35% Front Tint, 245/60/15 Tires, 4WD Machined Finished Wheels, Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake, Dual Tip Rear Exit Exhaust!

#4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Send a message via AIM to muddyinva
I know the sound you are talking about cause i have it also... Thanks for the info...

If it aint broke dont fix it and when it does UPGRADE it!!!!!
http://www.teamtrailblazer.com
99 KC SE 4x4 2" lift... BFG AT KO's 32 x 11.50's
kenwood excelon head unit and door speakers, Rockford Amp and 12" DVC sub, Removed mudflaps some on purpose some claimed by mudholes....
Check out my picshttp://community.webshots.com/user/muddyinva
#5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Garage
this is sorta what the links look like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stock link2.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	5004  

Performance: Airaid Quickfit CAI w/AEM dry filter, XTP I.M.S., 2* Advance,TB Screen mod, Magnaflow Y-pipe, SuperChips Cortex, JBA Headers
Exterior: OEM steps, Nissan hood guard, Morrimoto HID Retrofit D2S, Black Bullet BullBar, Totron offroad LED lights, Hidden Hitch, Nismo skidplates, Extang tonneau,custom Thule rack/wind deflector,Billet Grill
Suspension: PRG Advanced 4WD 2.5" lift w/TC UCAs & 4x Radflos, 1" DIY BL, Susp. Connect. Titan Sway bar bushings
Wheels/Tires: American Outlaw Buckshot 17x9 wheels, Dick Cepek Fun Country II tires
#6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 09:31 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Garage
I'm taking my truck in tomorrow to have it looked at for the noise, and some funky erratic steerimg.

#7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Shift_Hardcore

It looks like an easy fix and you can buy the parts off the internet for less than $40 from Energy Suspension. If Nissan doesn't take care of it for me, that's what I'll do. I found an adjustable set that makes it where you can adjust how stiff you want it to be from Addco! Here is a pic of it!

Keep us posted on your prob too!

Last edited by GraviTitan; 12-06-2006 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
#8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 01:50 AM
Shift_Newbie

yeah i have the clunk noise really bad i will get these bushings probably. Ill wait to see if you have to get them and if its the solution

2002 frontier xe extended cab 5 speed 4 cylinder

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2529999
#9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 02:30 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02frontier
yeah i have the clunk noise really bad i will get these bushings probably. Ill wait to see if you have to get them and if its the solution
Check your PMs!

For everyone else I will do a full write up sometime in the next week or so, I have to go out of town for the weekend!

#10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 08:43 AM
Shift_Newbie

GraviTitan,

I noticed that you responded in my thread about this problem. I tried on a couple of occasions to respond from work and they never got posted. Anyway, I have not had a chance yet to put a wrench on the sway bar links, but will try to get to it this weekend. I have noticed recently that my "clunk" also happens when I drive in a straight line and encounter a spot where the pavement falls away. Will let you know what I find.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.