Squeaky Rattle - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Squeaky Rattle

I'm having an issue with some rattles and squeaks in the interior of my '12 SV CC. When I hit a bump, I hear a wicked squeaking rattle that seems to be coming from the lower dash. I can't pinpoint exactly where and it seems to be in the dash itself. Maybe it's coming from under the dash? It's a weird noise, and it's gotten worse lately.

There is also a tapping rattle coming from the same place. It will tap a few times when I hit a bump. It's difficult to find these rattles and squeaks, but has anyone had a similar sound and found it, and knows what's causing it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Shift_Obsessed

My '06 has plenty, but not that one. If you can grab a passenger and have them listen closely and press panels as you ride, you'll find the source much more quickly. I've found that vehicle cabins have strange accoustics and it's difficult to troubleshoot as you drive.

I admit to having a shortcut broom handle with a soft balled-up towel rubber banded to its end that works great for pressing rattling panels while underway. My latest is a random noise somewhere near the end of the passenger dash by the window. When I listen to MP3s they sound like an old LP record with clicks and pops! I might add that I commute on some really crappy roads that give the truck a good shaking.

2006 SE CC 4x2 6-Speed 4.0L w/Power Package & ABLS, Red Brawn, Nissan Step Rails, Hood Protector and Soft Tonneau, Clarion CX501, Stock Speakers, Pioneer TS-T110 Tweeters and LED Reverse Lights
#3 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

I doesn't sound like there's any real way to stay ahead of the squeaks and rattles with this truck, especially if you have bad roads. I'm going to get up under the dash and see if I can find anything.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 10:07 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The LA Swamp View Post
I'm having an issue with some rattles and squeaks in the interior of my '12 SV CC. When I hit a bump, I hear a wicked squeaking rattle that seems to be coming from the lower dash. I can't pinpoint exactly where and it seems to be in the dash itself. Maybe it's coming from under the dash? It's a weird noise, and it's gotten worse lately.

There is also a tapping rattle coming from the same place. It will tap a few times when I hit a bump. It's difficult to find these rattles and squeaks, but has anyone had a similar sound and found it, and knows what's causing it?
Mine has the tapping/clunk over bumps... sounds like the steering shaft. I have an appointment on Monday to have Nissan listen to it. I'll let you know what they find.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Shift_Newbie

If you push the upper right corner of the lower kick panel on the drivers side, does it go away? Also, does it do it while you are stopped? If so, modulate the amount of force on the brake pedal and see if it changes. I have the same issue and found the above to be true. If I push the upper right corner it stops the noise.

2010 CC Pro4x
#6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 07:23 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Well the dealer can't find it, but after they took it all apart it's worse... typical.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Lie down under there and see if you can find any loose wiring bundles. You may be able to reposition things so they can't move. Squeaks come from things moving, if you stop them from moving the noise will usually stop.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

hood latch is a notorious spot. Sounds like its coming from behind the dash too. Spray some lube on it and see if it goes away just to rule that one out. I have to grease mine once a week.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Squeaky Rattle

I had hood latch and at first I thought it was coming from the rear springs

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 10:48 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I need to get a new cabin filter, so I'll also pick up some grease as well. The truck is usually quiet as long as the road is in good condition.

So far, though, it's been a great truck.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.