Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Spotted a badged 2018 Frontier

8K views 39 replies 25 participants last post by  karaya1 
#1 ·
I was having lunch in Coronado CA when when what looked like a slightly more aggressive looking new Navara drove by on orange ave. It had the distinctive Frontier badge on it's rear and it did not have mexican plates. I could not get a picture before it was gone. It had a great appearance and made me very excited to see it when it is finally released. Does anyone have an idea when Nissan is finally going to reveal this truck officially?

#2 ·
Interesting! Would love to have seen a pic - I know everyone is excited that there will be some body changes, but personally I hope they aren't too drastic. I love the Frontier for what it is - refresh it, but don't turn it into a Navara...

#3 ·
Since I just bought a 2016 in December it will be some time before I am in the market for a new Frontier. The one hope I have is that Nissan does not go the way of Toyota or GMC and make the truck bigger. I like the current size of the Frontier.

#4 ·

Right? Sure you did? ;)

#7 ·
I should have bet large money that this was going to be a reply, lol.

Clint

#6 ·
anything more you can tell us about this? Any pics online that resemble it? I am so curious about the new frontier. Seems nissan has been really good at keeping it hush hush. So good to the point that I was actually thinking a new frontier wasn't even coming.

#8 ·
#11 ·
Just speculation but maybe it could've been a Navara and the owner re-badged it as a Frontier... Just like a Frontier re-badged as a Navara. I think Raine re-badged his Frontier into a Navara... Just Sayin'...

#14 · (Edited)
...you rang? LOL

I wonder why OP said they saw a "2018". Did it say 2018 anywhere? Or did OP just assume that because it doesn't look like the current 2005-2017 Frontier, that it must be a 2018?

FYI There have already been a few NP300s spotted in California here and there since it was released (in 2015). There hasn't been any real, official news about an all-new Frontier for awhile now, just a bunch of regurgitating rumors and speculation and NP300 press release rehashes.

If the replacement Frontier looks like an NP300, I'd buy one.

The title of this thread feels clickbait-y haha

EDIT: I go here for fun to spin the truck around:
http://www.nissan.com.au/Cars-Vehicles/NP300-Navara/Overview

#13 ·
I would be very surprised if the next Frontier doesn't look much like or is the same as the Navara currently being sold in other parts of the world. I do know that Mercedes-Benz is supposed to re-badge a Nissan Frontier or Navara in a few years. That ought to be interesting.

#16 ·
If it was from Mexico it was most likely just the Navara NP300

#17 ·
Does anyone still think there will be a new Frontier in 2018? The hype for the new Titan started a couple of years before the first one hit the lot. MY2018 is only about 6 months away. Sometimes I wonder if Nissan even knows it still builds Frontiers here or if someone just forgot to discontinue them like the Xterras. ::grin::

Reactions: 40112
#19 ·
I would hate to see Nissan stop producing the Frontier for the US market. Thought I read some where that the Navarra is basically the same size as the current Frontier. Just updates in interior and skin. I would purchase a Frontier/Navarra when I am ready to retire my 2016 Pro.

#20 ·
Just read some articles that nissan will be adopting Mitsubishi's midsize truck architecture. This could explain the delay in the new frontier. I for one think the mitsu triton is unattractive.

Couple other crazy ideas I had were that nissan was going to stop making the frontier and call the new V6 Titan a Titan Frontier. An even crazier idea I had was nissan was going to bow out of the real midsize truck market and come out with a ridgeline type CUV truck based on the pathfinder or even the now pretty large rogue. This like I said were just some crazy thoughts I had. More than likely we will just get a navara that has been on the market since 2014.

#21 ·
It seems like Nissan has been delaying announcement of the new Frontier because they wanted to introduce the different Titan versions with the greatest publicity impact. Despite the complete silence on their part, I believe they will bring the new Frontier/Navarra to market this year. It's too big a news item for many people to keep a secret, so I'd expect them to drop the bomb by May or June.

Then again, maybe they'll absolutely astonish everybody and do nothing! Nah, that's not really an option.

#24 ·
The current Frontier is still selling well, so there's no incentive for them to "drop a bomb" anytime soon.

Well, that explains it! A built-in camper shell. ::wink::Seriously though, no spy shots in the magazines, no press releases and no leaks. Even if they give us the Navara, is it just a new body on the old bones?
A simple Google search for the NP300 and some light reading will tell you that it's all new.

#23 ·
Well, that explains it! A built-in camper shell. ::wink::Seriously though, no spy shots in the magazines, no press releases and no leaks. Even if they give us the Navara, is it just a new body on the old bones?

#28 ·
I like the Frontier and have owned one in the past but I'm currently in the market for a truck. I'm driving an Audi currently. I am not brand loyal. I buy what I like best when the time comes. I have compared the currently offered Frontier to the Tacoma and Colorado/Canyon and to me despite the Frontiers "age", it still wins out. It gives you the most bang for the buck of all of them. It has similar or better interior space but still seems smaller than the others overall. I just don't really see the need for a redesign.

I will say, I agree you'd think after 12 years on the market a refresh or redesign seems due. I would definitely be interested in a new Frontier. However I do not like the global Navara, so if they just rebrand it a Frontier then I'll have to look elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 40112
This post has been deleted
#31 · (Edited)
i actually like the current frontier better than the navara. the navara isn't bad though. i would drive either one.

i like the front end and the rear end of the navara but from the side the body shape looks very similar to the tacoma and colorado. all these trucks are starting to look the same. :laugh:
I like the current one better too. A subtle face lift to the current one would look better than the all new Navara. There was actually a few special edition d40's in other countries with some styling tweaks that I thought looked great. The new one just looks a bit more feminine than the current design.

Here is the ATTACK version which I am not even sure it ever came out but I have seen online and I think it looks pretty damn good.

Attachments

#32 ·
I wonder why the US version never gets those side markers?
We get all the safety rules shoved upon us anyway.

Clint

#38 ·
I think the sheet metal is cut for it on some model years. they just don't put the lights in on. My old 2002 KC had the side "XE" emblems come off, and although the emblems are stick on, there are two holes in its place, presumably to allow for a light to be mounted and wired on. I guess that means that, on that model anyway, if you wanted you could have some put in.

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Fender Bumper part

#37 ·
I saw that too, came to the same conclusion. It was funny how it happened. I'm driving on the turnpike and I see him coming up in my side mirror. I think to myself: "That looks a lot like the new model frontiers. Must be one of the current SUVs thats already switching to that body style..." Then it drives by, and I was like "WTF!?!?!? It IS a new frontier...:surprise:" He was going way past the speed limit, so I had very little time to grab my phone off the dash and snap a few pics. This was close to a FL Highway Patrol office on the turnpike, so I wasn't about to get pulled over for this. In any case, I remembered seeing this thread, so I thought I'd share.

The license plate seems to be along the lines of these.
License Plates of Mexico

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.