Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Spongy Brakes

24K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  kamesama980 
#1 ·
I noticed that the brake pedal has quite a lot of travel after you stop. When stopping all is normal, good braking action and comes to a stop completely. However, once completely stopped you can push the brake pedal down an inch or more. I checked other forums and this complaint is on most of them.
You cannot pump the brakes up. So, I don't think the system has any air in it. My 2006 Frontier only has 2200 miles. I think it has been this way since new. I just happened to notice it recently.
Does anyone else have this problem? Have you had it checked out by the dealer? I almost believe it is a normal condition.
Thanks for your responses.

westex

#3 · (Edited)
Yep mine has alot of pedal travel and i don't like it or how it feels and its been that way from day 1.We have had a few others complain about the same thing at the dealer i work at.I've been looking for some brake pads with a better grip compound to try to help out in the brake dept.

#6 ·
We also have a 2005 GMC Envoy. I tried the same thing on it today. After coming to a complete stop you can push the brake pedal down another 1" to 2" inches. This must be something to do with the power booster unit, because after you shut off the engine and cycle the brake pedal until all the power assist has been bled off, the brake is solid as a rock. I think this is a normal condition.

#7 ·
The "spongy brakes" were actually mentioned in a review:

"If there's a sore point in the drive, it's in braking. The Frontier may have the reassurance of vented disc brakes with the full set of ABS/EBD/BA at every wheel (every competitor lacks rear discs) but the sponge-like pedal doesn't do the best job of conveying it to your foot. Response is linear enough to let you get used to it and forget, but the unsteady feeling in a panic stop will make you remember. Time for some recalibration."

http://www.automotive.com/2005/43/nissan/frontier/reviews/road-test/index.html

#10 ·
I'm hoping that someone can help me out with a diagnosis. My Frontier stops fine and will come to a complete stop, but if the stop is on a slight downhill, the truck will then begin to drift forward. Kinda scary.

Could this be my master brake cylinder? If so, would it be leaking fluid that I can see or is it more so leaking air into the system? Thanks everyone.

#11 ·
My 2005 is the same way even after replacing all brake pads, brake lines to SS lines.
(disclaimer goes here): i have tried the following and it helped me some:

1: Adjustment of brake master cylinder rod. The brake pedal pushes a rod into master cylinder which activates the brake. This rod can be adjusted slightly (1/2 turn max or less as every truck would be different)/ I loosened the lock-nut on the rod that holds it in place and using fingers rotate the rod quarter turn at a time and then re-tighten the lock nut and test driving it. I think it is clockwise rotation. You are moving the rod into the master cylinder. This is located inside the cabin where your brake pedal is.

2: Adjustment of e-brake shoes inside the hat of the rear disc brakes. This is important in taking some of the spongy feeling away and raising the pedal. The adjustment is very similar to the old-style drum brakes.

I still have to adjust some more but the darn tires are so heavy to install and uninstall them and it is cold outside (LOL)

#12 ·
Thank you for your suggestions. I took the truck out this morning and tried to replicate the problem, but all was fine. No leaks anywhere that I can see and fluid level is fine.

If I turn the engine off and mash my foot hard on the brake, the pedal then seems to sink somewhat, but nothing excessive. Regarding the booster, the FSM says that the pedal should remain firm for 30 Seconds with this scenario. Maybe my booster is slowly failing.

Maybe my situation is the same as yours. I think I'll continue to monitor things. It doesn't seem like the sort of thing that will suddenly result in a massive braking loss.

I last changed by fluid 2-1/2 years ago. It's not excessively old, but could stand a change.

#13 ·
I was just recalling that when I was a kid, fresh with a new driver's license, I was alone at the helm of the giant family '68 Bonneville Station Wagon when the brakes did indeed fail. Scared the daylights out of me. Fortunately it's instinctive for drivers to furiously pump the pedal and enough pressure built to slow me down. Thankfully I had the wisdom to pass by the road I wanted to turn on and slowed to a halt on down the main highway.

I never quite understood what the problem was, but my Dad knew the brakes were weak and had planned a repair later that week! That sounds like the sort of thing that goes on in my home 40 years afterward. :)

#15 ·
Mine were not spongey until I changed pads and rotors. I'm going to say it's because fluid was backed through the master and damaged something or some way put air in the system. I say this because when the truck is off we can all push on the pedal and it gets very firm. When the truck is off. Your abs block isn't functioning. Your booster technically isn't either, but If there was a leak it would still escape.

It's trial and error. There is a way to fix it. You just need to start playing with the system. Could even be the electronic brake bias in the abs distribution block. It comes down hydraulic fluid that doesn't compress. With a pedal that travels too far.

Something is clearly wrong

#17 ·
It happened to me to on another car a while back. In order to prevent that what I do now is to open the bleeder prior to pushing the brake piston back. This way I am sure I am not pushing any dirty fluid back into the system. I also buy a big bottle of brake fluid and bleed all lines until I see clear/new fluid. it is a bit more work but it is worth it.

#16 ·
Thanks guys. I printed out the FSM's brake section and will work through some of the diagnostics. I want to check the vacuum hose to the brake booster too. Again, I appreciate the ideas very much.

#18 ·
I noticed it too in my '12 but there doesn't seem to be any lack of braking ability, no discolored fluid, can't pump them up; I'm pretty sure it's a design 'feature' to make the pedal much lighter (by changing the leverage and increasing travel) so granny can stop a 5k lb brakeless trailer without hurting her bunions. I remember seeing an article a while back about toyota doing the same thing with their trucks.

Makes it interesting going between vehicles when others, like the Firebird, have relatively oversize and very sensitive brakes. First stop makes sure your belt is buckled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.