Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Skid plate

10K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  PedalBiker 
#1 ·
the skid plate poll got me thinking. I have an SV 4X4 , no plates at all. The full metal set of plates came out to $1,350.00 un-installed. If i were the buy just one plate, out of the 4-5 they sell, which would be the best choice. I'm off road once or twice a year and on like fire roads at that.

1. engine oil pan
2. gas tank
3. transfer case
4. transmission
5. front radiator

#3 ·
5. My Xterra had no skids and I cracked the radiator doing some very mild off-roading

#5 ·
I opted for the engine first as the oil pan is quite low. After wheeling (plenty of rocks that you shouldn't find on a fire road) i got the t-case skid next, if you are going over humps or small hills the break over is terrible and that will be the next point to hit. I then got the transmission. I still do not have a radiator but its all about choosing the correct line through the obstacle and not smashing through it.

#6 · (Edited)
the skid plate poll got me thinking. I have an SV 4X4 , no plates at all. The full metal set of plates came out to $1,350.00 un-installed.
Don't all of our trucks come with at least the thin radiator skid plate? I mean, like the other stock skid plates it's thin, but I do lots of light duty off-roading and it takes those types of hits just fine.

Assuming you at least have the radiator skid I would just grab the oil pan skid and transmission skid off of Courtesy Nissan for the $17 bucks apiece that they charge. I got mine in the mail two days ago and was impressed with their build quality for that price.

Oil pan:
HEAT SHIELD for 2013 Nissan Frontier|50842-7S000

Transmission:
HEAT SHIELD for 2013 Nissan Frontier|50884-7S000

#10 ·
The oil pan has your suspension cross member in front of it. Yeah, you will likely slid off the cross member and take out the pan, but there isn't anything around the fuel tank to let you know there is a rogue rock about to slip up and slash your fuel supply. Just my thoughts. Belly plate will be next.

#14 ·
If this is a question about the aftermarket skids, the Hefty skids come with hardware. I would highly recommend using Anti sieze if you live in a snowy area.

#18 ·
I have a full set of Hefty skids. My Oil Pan skid had the most and deepest marks on it. The transfer case skid has a lot of marking, mostly superficial but it's had a couple of hard hits. The radiator skid has a couple of scratches some deep. I have on occasion shattered a rock with the radiator skid, preventing any further contact. For damage prevention I would have a hard time choosing between these three skids.

My gas tank and transmission skids have no significant signs of contacting anything other than weeds and sticks. The transmission skid, in particular, seems to be virtually untouched. I'd buy the transmission skid last and the gas tank skid second to last.

My frame rails have lots of scratches. I try to paint over the scratches on my frame and skids every year to prevent rust.

Definitely put anti seize grease on all bolts you use for skid plates. You'll need to get the skids off to replace the T-case and front differential fluids. I had to take off the transmission skid to replace a T-case drive shaft seal.

Check often between the gas tank skid and the tank for rocks that could get trapped and chafe into the plastic tank. I'd say it's a toss up whether the gas tank skid is worth it. Thinner is better on the gas tank skid. The easier it is to remove the better.

Reactions: Guy Ulm
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.