Shift_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down Seat Shake

2014 Frontier SV 4x4
16" Level 8 wheels 265/70/R16 Cooper ATP
27K miles

My passenger seat started rattling a couple weeks ago. Once I started hearing it, I noticed that the seat shook pretty good when empty. After doing some research here I found the two TSB's for seat shake. The truck is still under warranty, so I took it in. They said the TSBs didn't apply, but that my seat was indeed busted. It had been shaking so bad it egged out a few holes, so they ordered me an entire new seat frame. The tech put it in and test drove it, rattle gone but seat still shaking. They told me the tech then put a set of stock wheels / tires on and the shaking stopped.

So, directly after picking the truck up I went back to Discount to have my wheels / tires checked (I bought them back in October). They re-balanced them and put a different kind of lug nut on, said there was no hub-centric spacer available. This was all today. On the ride home, the seat was shaking just like it used to, its only a matter of time before this one breaks I think.

The odd thing is it doesn't feel like anything is out of balance. The truck rides like ****, shure, but I always thought that was just because it was a truck.

I'm looking for advice on where to go from here. New shocks, bilsteins or ranchos? Trade the SOB in? I still have the stock wheels, I could try and get some stock rubber back on this thing.

Any suggestions? Do upgraded shocks make that much of a difference, smooth out the ride a bit?

-Beau

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:04 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like the wheels &/or tires are your culprit? Would 'Road Force Balancing' be worthwhile in this scenario?

Do your OEM wheels still have tires on them? Might be worth a try swapping them on.

________
'15 SV KC, 4.0, 6-sp, 4x2 Worktruck & DD
VTP items = Standard Equipment on SV 6-sp
ARE TW bedshell, Firestone Ride-Rites, Morimoto XB LED fogs, OEM mud flaps/step rails, Bully Hitch Step,
AVS Aeroskin, WeatherTech Digi-Fit, Wheelskins leather steering wheel cover, Wet Okole, Ceramic tint,
265/70-16 Michelin Defender LTX M/S
________
'00 XE KC, 2.4, 5-sp, 4x2 ~SOLD~
ATC bedshell, Kenwood/HAT/Boston Acoustics
185K w/ original distributor, cats & clutch
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:24 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Beau M you asked where to go from here you answered your own question in the trip to the dealer when tech putting stock back on its either the rims tires or combination throwing parts at a problem isn't an answer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:08 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Garage
The seat will shake with even stock wheels and tires on it. It is well documented on here. My truck does it and I am 100% stock. I too have a 2014 SV and I got the truck with only 19k miles on it. The passenger seat has been shaking and making noise since day 2. Well it may have been day 1 but I was so giddy over my new truck I didn't even notice . Best way I have found to fix this is to fold the seat flat when nobody is sitting in it.

The Following User Says Thank You to robj80 For This Useful Post:
BCBrian (04-21-2017)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:26 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
IDK what I read was they told Beau M and he confirmed that what they said its gone with stock wheels and tires. I've had mine since 13k now 80 something on mine it doesn't shake I have the oe rims and 265/75/16 falken tires.

In other words the tech and dealer were lying to Beau M which doesn't surprise anyone the seats gotta be over $1k+ as I had to replace the power seat track on 00' camry over 15yrs ago and they wanted $800 for that I did it for $50 from a junky.

I say either take it another dealer see what they say or Beau 5 do you know anyone else with a frontier that you can try the oe back on and confirm the dealer is lying I'd make a recording of it both ways and take it with you b4 seat does break again.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Newbie

Thanks guys.

I think the plan now is to go back to the dealer. I'm in pretty good with the used salesman, they have my exact truck on the lot. Same color and within 2K miles. I'm going to test drive it for a bit and see how that one rides.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:04 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
IDK what I read was they told Beau M and he confirmed that what they said its gone with stock wheels and tires. I've had mine since 13k now 80 something on mine it doesn't shake I have the oe rims and 265/75/16 falken tires.

In other words the tech and dealer were lying to Beau M which doesn't surprise anyone the seats gotta be over $1k+ as I had to replace the power seat track on 00' camry over 15yrs ago and they wanted $800 for that I did it for $50 from a junky.

I say either take it another dealer see what they say or Beau 5 do you know anyone else with a frontier that you can try the oe back on and confirm the dealer is lying I'd make a recording of it both ways and take it with you b4 seat does break again.
If yours does not shake you are fortunate. When I noticed mine shaking I quickly came on here for a search and it turned up a lot of threads with people with this issue. Then I noticed there was several TSB's on the issue. So this seems to be a fairly common issue on Frontiers. As I said I just fold the seat down. Also depending on the position of the seat the vibration and noises change. Sometimes I get it in a sweet spot and minimal shake and no noises with the seat not folded.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Newbie

Think new shocks would help?

I'm not opposed to taking the seat apart and welding in a ton of gussets.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 08:28 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
I find it hard to believe the truck would need new shocks this early in its life. Have you put the OE wheels back on to confirm that the issue goes away? That would be the first course of action.

2011 Frontier SV 4x4 Long Bed
2" spacer
Adjustable shackle at 1"
Hefty Engine, Trans, and T-Case Skids
General Grabber AT2- 265/75/16
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordon View Post
I find it hard to believe the truck would need new shocks this early in its life. Have you put the OE wheels back on to confirm that the issue goes away? That would be the first course of action.
I have the OE wheels, but no tires mounted to them. I suppose I could have my current tires mounted just to see if there is a difference, should only be $100 or so.

But on the other hand, lots of people on here have seat shake / crap ride quality. Maybe that's just how they are? I'm going back to the dealership to test drive a stock truck.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.