Rust Problem - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rust Problem

I have a 2007 CC SE 4x4 black.

Here's my problem, I bought the truck brand new July 30th, I absolutely love it. But a couple of weeks ago I noticed 4 or 5 rust spots on the rear bumper to the left of my license plate. I took it in to the dealer where I bought it, he ordered me a new bumper. I am happy about that. Today however when I got home from washing it I noticed speckled surface rust all over my tailgate and rear corner panels, in front of, behind, and over the wheel well.

My question is, has anyone else had an issue like this, if so did the dealership do anything for you? I've only owned the truck for 7 months and has just over 8k miles, and I got rust everywhere already. And I still owe a ton of money on it.

Obviously I'm going to go complain to the dealer to see what they will do for me. I just would like to get some opinions.

Thanks for reading my rant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Shift_lurker

that is crazy, I would be jumpin' up and down acting like a fool at the dealership if it was mine. good luck in whatever happens

#3 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

i have the rust specs on the bumper as well. they can be waxed off or polished off, however i would take to the dealer if it is that new mine is 3 years old. no rust on the paint on mine. sometimes small specs of tar my look like rust take a little alcohol and see if it comes off brown, i have had that on some cars. good luck
#4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdawg45 View Post
I have a 2007 CC SE 4x4 black.

Here's my problem, I bought the truck brand new July 30th, I absolutely love it. But a couple of weeks ago I noticed 4 or 5 rust spots on the rear bumper to the left of my license plate. I took it in to the dealer where I bought it, he ordered me a new bumper. I am happy about that. Today however when I got home from washing it I noticed speckled surface rust all over my tailgate and rear corner panels, in front of, behind, and over the wheel well.

My question is, has anyone else had an issue like this, if so did the dealership do anything for you? I've only owned the truck for 7 months and has just over 8k miles, and I got rust everywhere already. And I still owe a ton of money on it.

Obviously I'm going to go complain to the dealer to see what they will do for me. I just would like to get some opinions.

Thanks for reading my rant.

It's weird this was brought up. I have both issues as well. Good to know they'll replace the bumper.

As for the speckles, I have them everywhere. I noticed them right away and they rub off with my finger but we've had constant snow/salt so I haven't been all over to see how extensive it is.

I was talking with a guy I know who used to work at a Nissan dealer and an auto body shop. He told me it is more than likely "industrial fallout". Meaning, when vehicles are parked next to train tracks or shipped on trains they get this. Basically it just crud kicked up and flung around by heavy metal.

Told me a few things to get rid of it but I can't recall right now. Also told me that Nissan should take care of it.

I'd like to hear other opinions on this subject too.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

I know that a bunch of people on the Titan site had that discussion. The dealer talked about "rail dust" from shipping by train. I think it was a matter of buffing/polishing. Not sure, may want to search "rail dust" on other sites.

2006 SE CC. Rough Country 2.5" leveling kit, Pathfinder window switch finishers, OEM Fog Light kit, Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S, mirror covers, OEM chrome handles, Pioneer Avic-D3, Alpine S-Type 10" DVC sub, Alpine 300W 4 ch amp, Alpine 500W monoblock amp, Alpine tweeters, Alpine S-Type front and rear door speakers
#6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
all my rust is from sliding along rocks and denting and bending body parts..
#7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 11:46 PM
Shift_Hardcore

i had the so called rail dust on my 07 super black kc,,dealer painted hood and roof
#8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 11:17 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Without seeing it myself, I'll go out on a limb and suggest that you get a clay bar (ie Mothers) and follow the directions.

I'm betting it is exactly as stated earlier, metal fallout, rail dust and normal-everyday contaminants that is on top of the paint.

In other words, iron particles are stuck to the surface ( again, on top) of the paint and has started to rust, making it look like your paint is at fault. A very common misconception.

One way to avoid it would be regular washing & waxing.
#9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have seen were people have done grinding and such on/arouond there there trucks, and the hot sparks leave little chunks of meatle in the paint and rust so there are rust spots every place.. I could see the same thing happening with brake dust from the trains.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.