Rotors? - Page 3 - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:34 PM
JNR
Shift_Hardcore

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Most newer vehicles' rotors do not have enough meat on them to resurface anymore and new ones are so cheap, it doesn't make sense to...try RockAuto Auto Parts and also look online for 5% discount on top of their great prices. Don't go too cheap (brand) though.

What kind of pads are these? IIRC, oem's are ceramic, so they need to be bedded in (search online for procedure).

Makes me sick reading about these repair shops/dealers/"performance shops", etc. fukking people so hard and dry these days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

OP, good info above, but make sure you have someone measure the thickness of your rotors before you attempt any resurfacing, there's usually a minimum thickness cast into the rotor somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandangalo View Post
Given the cost of rotors I never resurface. You can find a pair of rotors for 78 shipped on eBay. How do I know? I need rear brakes and have been looking around
I found PowerStop cross drilled and slotted *front* rotors (left and right directional) $125 a pair shipped or $43.62 each shipped for standard *front* 2WD rotors on eBay.

2012 Frontier CC SV 4x2
02 I35
01 Maxima
95 Nissan
Callaway Turbo Mercedes-Benz (Temporary caretaker)
#23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mandangalo
Yeah the fronts are slightly more expensive because they are larger

2007 CC LE UPREV, Injen CAI, Bassani Cat-Back exhaust, WRP IMS, CP, OME light duty coils, Bilstein Adj. Struts, Alcan custom leaf pack, Bilstein 5129 rear shocks, Access Vanish Bed Cover, Pioneer Avic Z2
#24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTER123 View Post
I've done as little as changing plugs and wires on a car but brakes I think I'll leave to someone really knows. I have a friend whos a mechanic for heavy equipment and done repairs on our cars except this one. I always take this truck to a dealer because i want it done properly because my wife drives it. I'll check around as well.
Unless the work I need completed is covered under warranty I would never have a dealership perform work on my truck ( or any vehicle for that matter). Dealerships are always higher than independent shops. If you are new to your area ask around ( people at work or frieds you can trust) to get a good mechanic. Building a relationship with a great local mechanic is one of the best things you can do. I take mine to a shop my parents have used for 20 years, he knows who I am and will flat out tell me what needs to be done, and has no problem if I want to do it myself.

That being said. This job is no different than plugs. You need to be able to turn a wrench, though probably turn it a bit harder. Watch some videos and take your time, look over everything before you tackle the job. And ALWAYS do one side at a time, this way if you can't remember how it goes back together you can refer to the side you have not touched. I think you are psyching yourself out on this one, have some faith. It always feels good to complete a job yourself.

2011 Frontier SV 4x4 Long Bed
2" spacer
Adjustable shackle at 1"
Hefty Engine, Trans, and T-Case Skids
General Grabber AT2- 265/75/16
#25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Shift_Newbie

We have three vehicles including this truck. Ive gone thru many shops and finding the right one thats at least little honest. When you think you find the right one, another disappointment. That's the reason why I got to dealership for repair. Like I said, the friend I have is a mechanic for heavy equipment and he changed brake pads on my Honda before and took him few minutes. I assume he can do rotors as well. Is it just as good to get the rotors at auto zone? I like to get them locally. I would be comfortable doing other repair but brakes not so much. I will get a manual and start doing minor repairs.
I'm pretty good with tools. Ive done repairs on my motorcycle, just feels some repairs are little out of my league.

Last edited by HUNTER123; 12-07-2012 at 10:33 AM.
#26 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Shift_Fanatic
Premium Member

Rule number one to buying vehicle parts. Don't go to AutoZone! Go tks a Napa or Oreily and get the best they have. If your amigo can do pads he can certainly handle the rotors. They are literally held on by the wheel being boltd on, then two bolts to get the caliper mounts off.

www.nissanwheelers.com

JUST FRIGGIN BY-PASS!!
#27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Send a message via AIM to 1stNISSAN
Autozone has new rotors for like $30. New front pads for about $50. Brake job for $110 +tax. Should take 45minsthe per wheel. No special tools required.
#28 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Send a message via AIM to 1stNISSAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
Rule number one to buying vehicle parts. Don't go to AutoZone! Go tks a Napa or Oreily and get the best they have. If your amigo can do pads he can certainly handle the rotors. They are literally held on by the wheel being boltd on, then two bolts to get the caliper mounts off.
I have had no problems with autozone as long as you use their premium line which I think is called gold.
#29 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,064 Times in 831 Posts
Garage
I bought 4 Raybestos rotors off Amazon.com for $200. What a rip off that dealer is.

#30 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 01:40 PM
JNR
Shift_Hardcore

^^Rockauto would be $137 for the same thing If you want to go with the cheaper ones/brands, all four would be $78.

I bought some Raybestos rotors for my CTS-V and they were pretty decent, so I'd go with them again.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.