Rotors? - Page 2 - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Shift_Newbie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4,000 miles ago when I had oil change (synthetic) the brakes were inspected and said they were fine but getting thin but no mention of rotors. They did replace motor mounts, belts plus oil change ($800). I drove the truck to San francisco, I used the brakes more than usual, crazy streets in San Francisco. So now thats what they say, badly glazed but pads are still ok. No shaking or squeaking on the sterring wheel. So are you saying a person with little mechanic knowledge will have a problem replacing rotors? then what choice do I have besides dealer? Small shops charge just the same and some find more problems that aren't there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Shift_lurker

It is a DIY project but you will need a breaker bar and maybe a piece of pipe for extension to turn the caliper bracket bolts. Take a coat hanger and hand the calipers from the upper control arm so you don't damage the brake lines. The bracket is the difficult part only because Nissan uses thread locker.

2012 SV 4X4 Auto.
CC Short Bed
Bullydog GT
Air Box Mod
K&N Drop in
TB Heater Bypass
Front Bilstein 5100 2" Lift/Stock Springs
Rear Calmini 1.5" Shackles/Bilstein 5125
#13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddognutrx View Post
It is a DIY project but you will need a breaker bar and maybe a piece of pipe for extension to turn the caliper bracket bolts. Take a coat hanger and hand the calipers from the upper control arm so you don't damage the brake lines. The bracket is the difficult part only because Nissan uses thread locker.
Don't forget to use a six point socket on the caliper bolts with the breaker bar.

2010 Frontier Crew Cab SE long bed 4X2, avalanche
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, stock
#14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

I agree with everyone else. It's not a difficult job. Save yourself a few hundred $$$ and do it yourself (DIY). Check YOUTUBE there are many different videos with step by step instructions. I always find it easier to see someone actually doing the job rather than reading instructions. Good Luck
#15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mandangalo
Given the cost of rotors I never resurface. You can find a pair of rotors for 78 shipped on eBay. How do I know? I need rear brakes and have been looking around

2007 CC LE UPREV, Injen CAI, Bassani Cat-Back exhaust, WRP IMS, CP, OME light duty coils, Bilstein Adj. Struts, Alcan custom leaf pack, Bilstein 5129 rear shocks, Access Vanish Bed Cover, Pioneer Avic Z2
#16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Shift_Newbie

I'll check out some you tube videos and see if I can tackle it.
#17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Shift_Fanatic
Premium Member

Grab yourself a Haynes/Chiltons repair manual. It covers everything in there. I used it for my last disc and pad replacement. Very easy!

05' Frontier CC LE 4x4: Nisstec C/O, AC Shackles, 32's, NXRocks engine & rad. skid, Airaid, Superchips Tuned, Softopper
#18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxoFronti05 View Post
Grab yourself a Haynes/Chiltons repair manual. It covers everything in there. I used it for my last disc and pad replacement. Very easy!
Exactly! Get a manual and you will be pleased with how much you can actually do and save a ton of cash. The book will pay for itself many times over. Not to mention that the investment in tools will also be covered by the money you save. There's nothing like DIY to give your sense of self worth a little boost too
If you're still not comfortable with the whole idea, it is the brakes after all and they are a significant safety related system, ask around the people you know to recommend a good service facility. They aren't all bad, I work at one of the most on the level dealerships around. The techs are all very good at what they do and the customer is told what is up, be it the brake pads worn or rotors in need of resurfacing, tread depth on the tires and condition of fluids, not just levels. The service reps are really good at explaining to the customers what it all means and any decision is left to the customer once they truly understand the situation.
The service department is highly regarded and consistently has the #1 rating for our brand in our region (western Canada). 30+ years in business and a loyal following of customers, even a slew of GM owners (we used to be Pontiac Buick GMC until GM pulled the rug out from under us) who have tried the Chev stores service have come to us as our techs are still mostly GM certified and knowledgeable.

#19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Shift_Newbie

I've done as little as changing plugs and wires on a car but brakes I think I'll leave to someone really knows. I have a friend whos a mechanic for heavy equipment and done repairs on our cars except this one. I always take this truck to a dealer because i want it done properly because my wife drives it. I'll check around as well.
#20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 3,864 Times in 2,198 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Have you asked your friend if he is comfortable doing your brakes? Just to put the size of the task in perspective... I am a woman, I only started working on my own cars a couple years ago (I didn't even know how to change oil prior to that), and I can handle doing pads and rotors.

I wouldn't automatically assume that a dealership is doing things properly, especially one that seems to recommend work at every oil change. Just like any other business, there are good ones and bad ones. My dealership lost my trust a long time ago. I use an honest independent repair shop (one that I chose after careful research and recommendations) when faced with a task that I can't handle.

-Jennifer

Report a bad/flaming/illegal post by clicking on

Suspension Lift Info 05+

2009 SE King Cab 4x4 6 speed

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.