Roof rack for 2005-2011... King Cab - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Roof rack for 2005-2011... King Cab

I'm trying to add a roof rack to the cab -AND- a similar height rack on my LEER cap, so I can carry longer items on top. Does anyone have photos of a Frontier with a roof rack and cap-rack?

Thanks!!

===================
Jan 29, 2012 EDIT: Shorten + Install China OEM copy on 2005 King Cab: Roof Rack '05 King Cab, PHOTOS-INSTALL (OEM copy)
===================

And of course a new OEM Crew Cab rack for $800-$900 (or up to $1200), then shorten it ~ 12.5 inches.
Some folks reporting $100-$200 for wrecking yard finds.

Last edited by Sodo; 02-25-2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Error in OEM price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mandangalo
I have never seen an OEM rack quoted that high. where did u see that?

2007 CC LE UPREV, Injen CAI, Bassani Cat-Back exhaust, WRP IMS, CP, OME light duty coils, Bilstein Adj. Struts, Alcan custom leaf pack, Bilstein 5129 rear shocks, Access Vanish Bed Cover, Pioneer Avic Z2
#3 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

This guy had a 1st gen, but modded an Xterra rack to fit his KC. It also lined up pretty well with his ladder rack, which I guess is what you're trying to achieve by adding a rack to your cap.

03 Xe Rack Mod

I know I've seen racks added to truck caps pretty often, but I've never seen a Frontier with both the OE rack and a rack on the cap. Sorry that this doesn't help you out much. Let me know if you want a measurement from the roof to the rack as it sits on a crew cab so you can look for a cap rack that will achieve a similar height.

EDIT: I just found this:

Here's a link to the company that makes it:
Snugtop - Custom Fiberglass Manufacturing, Truck Cap & Tonneau Top Covers, Camper Shells Tops, Customized Truck Toppers, Pick Up Truck Canopy

If you want to match height AND style (and the cap you have/are looking at matches up with the roof of your cab) you may want to order one of the Navara D40 kits from Powerful UK and get them to sell you a couple of the cross rails (either front or rear style depending on what style/adjustability you want) and two sets the rear pedestals. Then, you could just cut some round tube to length and paint to match. I think the tubes are 60mm, but I'd have to measure to know for sure. I asked Powerful UK to quote me just a front cross member a while back and it was 115 GBP (80 for the part, 35 for shipping) which equates to about $187, so it seems they're willing to sell parts of kits without too much of a markup. Since you'd be ordering a bunch of parts from them, they might give you a break or at least save you some $ on shipping by ordering it all together.

06 LE CC 4X4, RED BRAWN
The Following User Says Thank You to scooter2131 For This Useful Post:
Sodo (04-06-2011)
#4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Here's what a few have done using the Thule/Yakima Tracks.
They make tracks with different hardwares for Fiberglass Toppers as well as the Steel Truck Roof.

08', CC, 4X4, SE w/Value Pkg, AT, Long Bed, Tinted Front Windows, BakFlip(POS), AFE CAI, Hilift,
Bug-out-bag, 2" PRG Spacer & Deaver AAL's, 285/75/16 TOYO ATII's, Superchips Cortex,
Cobra 18WXSTII w/ 4" Firestik, Relocated Trailer Plug, Thule Track Kit and Yakima Loadwarrior Basket,
Pioneer AVHP3200DVD, Infinity Ref Components on Rockford T400-4 4-Ch. Amp, Pioneer Sub on RF P300-1 Amp, Sirius, FatMat.
White Rhino Fab Light Bar & KC Slimlights (#124)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormFrontier View Post
Let me get this straight: You have a Frontier for a company car and you're on the Frontier forum?

Last edited by RBOWWOW; 04-06-2011 at 05:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RBOWWOW For This Useful Post:
Sodo (04-06-2011)
#5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

I received my china OEM roof rack copy yesterday. I'm going to shorten it to fit my 2005 King Cab. Thanks to SlyTuna for inspiration.

Edit: Jan15, all shortened, and installed. I used the rivnuts, did not use the nissan backing plates, did not take down the headliner. I took lots of measurements/photos - wrote up a detailed how-to thread here.

Last edited by Sodo; 01-15-2012 at 05:49 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Regarding the notion of putting a crewcab rack ontop of a LEER cap, to match the rack on the cab......

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter2131 View Post
you may want to order one of the Navara D40 kits from Powerful UK and get them to sell you a couple of the cross rails (either front or rear style depending on what style/adjustability you want) and two sets the rear pedestals.......
This would be the optimum, the cleanest setup! However it doesn't work of the flat roof of my LEER canopy. The Frontier roof has more crown than you'd think and it's crowned left-right too. The pedestals have some angle in them (front/rear, and left/right) and the tubular rail (2.170" = 55mm) is not straight, it has a 1/2" 'crown" to it. Here are a couple of pics.

There's no way the feet can sit flat on the flat canopy. Even combining parts from 2 sets, using the 'rear' feet, the feet would be angled up 1/2 inch.

Last edited by Sodo; 01-29-2012 at 03:11 PM.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Just posting to report that I'm working hard on this project still, to put a matching NISSAN style roof rack on my LEER cap.

Been gathering XTERRA rack parts, almost done. One detail is that the XTERRA rack is about 2 inches narrower than the Frontier rack. So to make the racks match up, I'll have to widen the XTERRA crossbars (which is more complicated than cutting them). The crossbar lugs have a generous overlap at the ends which will easily cover the welds, but getting them welded will be a hassle. I will post when I know more..
#8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A bit off topic, but have you thought about flipping the back of the frontier rack toward the fronton the cap? You would be able to adjust the first crossbar (mounted to truck) and the last (cap) while middle 2 are permanent.

08 Black SE CC 4x4 6sp
Bedlined grille, billet inserts, Fogs, smoked tail & 3rd lights, Stubby, ARE cap, Clarion CX501, Cobra 75 and Wilson 4', Rogue Key, IMS, Volant, Install Magnaflow 15580
Suspension Radflo 2.0, Bill 5125 & OME Med Duty leaf pack
Tires/Wheels BFG AT/KO 265/75/16 on Pro Comp 7089s
Protection NxRocks-rad/engine/trans, Shrocks-T-case, Hefty-GT, BTF-diff cover (Mag-Hytec gasket), Demello Offroad DIY sliders, KMA front bumper (modified), TAG rear bumper
Future
POR15/bedline bumper
#9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 04:43 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

This is exactly on topic and that would would look good....except from the pic, you can see the feet don't sit flat and far from flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodo View Post
#10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

What about just using 4 (buying 2 more) of the rearward style pedestals instead of sourcing all the xterra parts? Looks like they'd sit pretty flush that way...just throwing that out there for discussion.

**EDIT**

Nevermind, just saw your other post here:

OEM copy roof rack in Seattle (can be modified for KingCab)

Maybe you could replace the tubing with some that is straight??? The feet could probably also be modified to sit a little flatter as well???

06 LE CC 4X4, RED BRAWN

Last edited by scooter2131; 02-26-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.