Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Reset TPMS Warning By Yourself - IT WORKS!!!

738K views 255 replies 100 participants last post by  D13FrontierLE 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi everyone,

I have been struggling with my TPMS warning light for over a year now, having to get it to reset (either by the dealer or a tire shop) a number of times. I have searched the forums over and over again, but never found a solution other than blacking the light out with tape, or continuing to have someone reset it for me. Eventually, I said f@#$ it and just ignored the dam light.

In my case, when I started my truck, it would flash for 1 min, then stay on (solid) for as long as the vehicle was running. From what I read in the manual, this could mean that there was a malfunction with the system. Me being the type that checks my tire pressure regularly, not relying on the light, I wasn't about to throw money at that problem.

This morning I decided to do some more digging around and came across this post on an Infinity forum:
Reset TPMS Warning By Yourself For FREE!!! - MyG37
It says that it's supposed to work on all Infinitys with TPMS, as well as all Nissans. Well, I tried it out and to my surprise, IT WORKED!

I have modified the instructions to suit my '06 Frontier KC SE. Hope you find it helpful.

Step 1: Set the tires to the following pressures, they have to be exact:

Tire position Tire pressure kPa (kg/cm2, psi)
Front LH 240 (2.4, 34)
Front RH 220 (2.2, 31)
Rear RH 200 (2.0, 29)
Rear LH 180 (1.8, 26)

Step 2: Locate the TPMS interface plug. This is a white female plug that is attached to the OBD wire harness under the dash right about where your right knee would be when sitting in the driver's seat. It's got 1 white wire attached to it.

Step 3: Attach a paper clip or wire to the interface plug. I used a 5-inch copper wire, spliced it on both ends, and inserted it into the connector on the same side as the existing white wire.

Step 4: Put your key in the ignition and turn it to the last click before the engine starts. This is the KOEO position (Key On, Engine Off).

Step 5: Tap the end of the paper clip (the end NOT in the interface plug, duh!) on any exposed ground (metal) 6 times. The grounded metal in my case was the steering column.

Note: You need to do this within 10 seconds of the key being in the ON position.

Step 6: If you completed step 5 then the TPMS warning light will start to slowly flash and you have activated the TPMS relearn process. If it flashes fast that's not right. If yours isn't flashing slowly then check your connections, turn the ignition off and start over at step 4.

Note: if you're having trouble getting it into the relearn mode, try grounding the connector, turning the car on, then turning the car off while still grounding it. Then repeat the above steps.

Step 7: Once you confirm the lights do not stop flashing, step on the clutch/brake and start the car. Do not turn the car to the OFF position. Start driving >25mph until the light goes out. It could take as long as ten minutes.

Step 8: The light will quickly come back on due to the low tire pressures. Refill your tires to the correct pressure, go for another quick spin, and the light will go off!

I followed these instructions and it worked for me on the first try! The longest part of the whole procedure was farting around with my crappy pump, but the main thing is that it worked!!! Now, let's see how long it lasts.

I'll have to send a thank you note to the original poster on the Infinity forum! Feel free to do the same if it works for you.
---------------

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I had on go bad on my '08 after 2 years.

#8 ·
No, that's not required. You just can't turn it off while in learning mode (TPMS light flashing continuously). After driving with the tires inflated to different pressures and the light constantly flashing, it goes out after a few miles, indicating that the system knows the location of the individual sensors and communication with them is ok. Then the light will come back on solid within a few seconds, indicating that the system has detected incorrect pressure(s). After that you can shut off the engine if you want, set back the correct pressure in each tire (I set mine to 36psi), then start the engine and go for a drive. When you start back the engine the light should immediately go solid. All being well with the tire pressure, it should go off quickly - in my case, half way around my block.

#10 ·
This is good to know.. I am sure I will have to deal with this issue...I can't believe I have not had a battery go bad yet on my 2006 Frontier... They didn't last no time on the Chrysler Town & Country. Those sensors aint cheap niether by the time you get it installed just for the battery to last only 2-3 years....
Yeah! good luck at them lasting 10 years. If the Nissan TPMS gives me too much trouble then black tape it is...

#11 ·
I used a thread from thenewX and there were some updated pressures listed on page 7. I ended up having to use those pressures to make this reset work:

How-to: Reset TPMS with a Paper Clip - Page 7 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Another thing I noticed while skimming the WT section is the pressures are slightly different than what crazypanda listed, the order is the same but the pressures are (Kg/cm2)-PSI: (2.5)-36, (2.3)-33, (2.1)-30, (1.9)-27
I'm wondering if that variance coupled with not-so-accurate tire gauges may affect the odd person's failure with this procedure.

I've noticed a few different numbers being thrown around as to what pressure will trip the TPMS dash light. FSM says 28PSI or less and nothing about overinflation.

#21 ·
This worked perfectly for me today. Discount Tire replaced all 4 sensors because the batteries were dead for a while now. But the light would never go off on it's own. They couldn't figure out so I tried this and it worked great.

#24 ·
Every 6 miles? My light would come back on like clockwork 6 miles after clearing the code...every time. Using this procedure is the only way to sync new sensors with the computer without taking it to the dealership or a shop with the right equipment (Consult).

#32 ·
Same here it just started. I pulled over and checked the air, and all 4 tires were over 32 psi. Stopped for dinner, back in the truck, no light. About 25 miles down the road, bing! there it is again. No flash, just blinked on.

Was wondering if it was due to having just installed new wheels or perhaps because the truck is now about 9 years old. I've had it come on before but usually just barely out of my driveway when it happens and it has been legitimate.

i've aired up to 35 psi, but haven't done any further checks thus far.

I do have one valve stem that is difficult to check the pressure though and also difficult to put air through. Kinda have to wiggle the air chuck to position it just so before air flows through. Weird.

#27 ·
After 7-1/2 years, my TPMS lamp flashes and stays lit, so something is wrong. I'm hoping that it's a dead battery in the sensor. I'll be buying new tires in a few months and I'll ask the tire shop to take a look. Another case of Federal nannyism draining my wallet.

#28 ·
... Well, I tried it out and to my surprise, IT WORKED! ...
Great write up getaway and it appears to have worked for me too, except I had to use the optional air pressures (Front Left 36 PSI, Front Right 33 PSI, Rear Right 30 and Rear Left 27). I had better luck inserting the wire from the backside of the connector as you suggested. I drove for maybe ten or fifteen minutes before the flashing light went dark. I aired up my tires to the correct pressure, the light remained dark and and I hope is well now. We'll see.

I visited the tire store this morning and they affirmed that all four of my sensors were alive and well, but that the receiver wasn't communicating with them and that a Nissan Dealer would have to work that. The tire store didn't charge me for the visit because I'd bought my tires there and because they are good people, so this was a cost-free fix.

#29 ·
other than having an annoying orange light on the dash, does it really hurt anything if don't relearn the sensors?

#33 · (Edited)
Aftermarket TPMS

SE10001HP on Amazon

Manufactured by VDO

I put some new wheels, tires, and sensors on my truck this weekend. I bought the sensors from Amazon for $34 each. But after having the tires and sensors installed the tire shop was unable to get the sensors to reset with their scan tool.

I first tried to use the paperclip trick without setting the PSI in each wheel. I would drive a few miles and a long beep could be heard and the TPMS light would stay on solid.

So then I set the PSI as outlined in the instructions in this thread. Grounded the TPMS wire 6 times and the light started to flash.... Drove a few miles and the light went solid, no beep, for about 5 seconds and then went out.

I came home and filled the tires back to the correct PSI.

I hope it sticks, it is looking promising.

So for those that are looking for aftermarket TPMS it looks like the SE10001 and SE10001HP will work at ~$34 each.

Thanks for the thread.... It saved me a trip to the dealer. ::grin::

#41 ·
SE10001HP on Amazon

Manufactured by VDO

I put some new wheels, tires, and sensors on my truck this weekend. I bought the sensors from Amazon for $34 each. But after having the tires and sensors installed the tire shop was unable to get the sensors to reset with their scan tool.

I first tried to use the paperclip trick without setting the PSI in each wheel. I would drive a few miles and a long beep could be heard and the TPMS light would stay on solid.

So then I set the PSI as outlined in the instructions in this thread. Grounded the TPMS wire 6 times and the light started to flash.... Drove a few miles and the light went solid, no beep, for about 5 seconds and then went out.

I came home and filled the tires back to the correct PSI.

I hope it sticks, it is looking promising.

So for those that are looking for aftermarket TPMS it looks like the SE10001 and SE10001HP will work at ~$34 each.

Thanks for the thread.... It saved me a trip to the dealer. ::grin::
Update... Over 7 months and zero issue using these sensors and the reset method outlined above. Thanks!

#34 ·
when I paperclip reset mine (after setting the pressures to the psi listed) the light started flashing after a few minutes of driving and continued flashing until I stopped to get more air. shut the truck off, filled the air to 36psi and the light came back on solid.

guess that means a sensor (or more) are bad?