Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Rear Axle "Sweating"

8K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  FrontierSE4x4 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. Looking to get someone to help me confirm what I saw when I crawled under the truck yesterday. After doing some site research on the notorious vent/axle seal issue I wanted to give mine a look over. I noticed the vent did look a bit clogged, and I also observed that the area around the vent looked damp. I will attach a picture below so you can see what I am working with. I have about 1,000 miles left on my aftermarket warranty that came with the truck when I purchased it last August. According to the warranty the drive axles are covered along with all accompanying seals and gaskets. Thanks in advance for your input. Truck is a 2010 SE 4x4.

See less See more
#2 ·
I just replaced my vent, axle seals and bearings along with new parking brake shoes. Have you looked at the outer edges of the rear rotors for any oily wetness? If you put the truck in neutral on an incline will the parking brake hold the truck? Mine is a 2010 also and did the repair in the driveway. Nice you're warranty is still valid.

Clint

#3 ·
The only area that seemed damp was what is in the picture. Not sure how visible that was in the photo. I haven't detected any oil on the rear rotors. It all seems relatively localized to that area around the vent itself. I am guessing this is the start of seals going bad, right?

#4 ·
Funny but I notice that damp spot after I realized the seals were bad. It looks damp because it's a film of oil that's venting from that port. Can you spin the metal cap on the vent? It was about $14 to replace so I just added it while I was under there doing it all. So if you run your fingers over the edge of the rotors there is no wetness?

Clint

#5 ·
I haven't noticed any wetness on the rotors, the edges still feel and look dry. There was no play on the cap of the vent however. It seems to have seized. I had called the local dealership about ordering a new one, and it was only 12 bucks and some change. Their parts guy was even going to drop it off at my house for me. Then I realized by just replacing the vent I could possibly only be "band-aiding" the situation. If the oil has already gotten to the point of externally exiting the axle through the vent does that mean then that my seals are bad? The deductible on my warranty is a hundred bucks, and from what I have read most guys spend more than that in parts alone to do this particular repair.

#7 ·
Have them fix it under warranty, including an axle seal inspection, when you get it back remove the breather and do the axle vent mod. My 2010 SE 4X4 had the axle seals fail at about 38000 miles.... just outside the warranty.

#8 ·
^ What Jenn and Brian said. If it's still covered have them look at it so at the very least it's documented. Best case they find a leak at one of the seals too and replace the entire housing for you. Worst case they replace the breather for you under warranty. Then go ahead and do that breather mod, typically the tech, and sometimes even the service writer if he's on his game, will recommend doing it as well.

#9 ·
I had a little bit of moisture/oil around my rear axle breather as well, plus some seepage around the diff cover. I went ahead and just changed the fluid and resealed the diff cover, did the diff breather mod, and cleaned the area up real well and have not seen a drop of oil or seepage since. My truck only has 16k miles on it so I don't think any damage was probably done.

#10 ·
Appreciate the input. Not sure if you caught in my previous post the deductible is 100 dollars on this aftermarket warranty. If it ends up needing new seals, from what I've seen the cost in parts will easily reach $100 justifying using the warranty. My only concern was them just saying...eh well let's just replace the vent and call it a day and have to pay 60 bucks for something that would have taken me all of 12 dollars and 5 minutes to replace. Seeing that all of you have had this happen before, based upon what you see in my photo, would it be a safe bet at this point to say the oil has made its way past the seals already, or do I need to start pulling things apart to really know how far it has progressed?

#14 ·
Wanted to give an update. Just heard back from Nissan, and they confirmed the axles seals were leaking. I only have to pay the hundred dollar deductible and, the warranty company will be covering almost 700 dollars worth of the rest of the repair. Thanks to those of you that took the time to respond to thread and offer your advice! Much appreciated guys and gals.

#15 ·
So another update...haha I just won't let this thread die. So I am an avid wrencher with my own vehicles..but the warranty was just too much to turn down with this particular repair. I did some inspecting of their work when I washed the truck today. I noticed on the passenger side that the tech snapped the head of the bolt off the ABS sensor and didn't bother to replace it. I was and am pissed. I called and left a nasty gram on their voicemail. Just disappointed that a "professional" dealership would not even bother to correct their error and assume that the average car owner won't even bother checking the work that they did. These places try to take advantage of people way too much.

#16 ·
That's crazy! He's gotta know that thing is gonna come loose and set an ABS code. What a d-bag! That guy is gonna get reamed. You should pitch a serious fit about them not giving a crap about your safety since that will affect your braking system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.