Rear Axel Seal Replacement - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear Axel Seal Replacement

Hello,

I am new to this site and this is my first post. I am on my second Nissan Frontier. I have always liked the truck. First was a 98, now I have an 06 Nissmo. My question is that I just had 2 new rear axle seals replaced by the dealer. I thought it was odd that both would be bad but then came across a post on the Titan website about a bad pressure valve which in turn plugs and blows your seals. This makes sense now. The dealer also put in 2 new wheel bearings which I feel it did not need for $60 each. He told me they have to cut the bearings off to get at the seal but could not produce the bearings for me to look at 3 hours after I dropped it off to be fixed. Said they were at the bottom of the dumpster. Anyone have any past experience with this or better yet, replace the seals themselves?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 07:18 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Kid View Post
Hello,

I am new to this site and this is my first post. I am on my second Nissan Frontier. I have always liked the truck. First was a 98, now I have an 06 Nissmo. My question is that I just had 2 new rear axle seals replaced by the dealer. I thought it was odd that both would be bad but then came across a post on the Titan website about a bad pressure valve which in turn plugs and blows your seals. This makes sense now. The dealer also put in 2 new wheel bearings which I feel it did not need for $60 each. He told me they have to cut the bearings off to get at the seal but could not produce the bearings for me to look at 3 hours after I dropped it off to be fixed. Said they were at the bottom of the dumpster. Anyone have any past experience with this or better yet, replace the seals themselves?

had a seal replaced on mine and they never mentioned anything about bearings.

'05 Storm Gray SE CC 4x4, 6M. PRG 2" f/r, OEM fogs/skids, 265/75r16 Yokohama Geolandar AT/S, stubbie antenna. (GONE)
'11 F150, Ingot Silver XLT Off-Road Supercrew 275/65/18 Toyo AT2's
#3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Shift_lurker

Was it a rear seal? Anyone else had a seal replaced?
#4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 12:31 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Kid View Post
Was it a rear seal? Anyone else had a seal replaced?
yes it was.

'05 Storm Gray SE CC 4x4, 6M. PRG 2" f/r, OEM fogs/skids, 265/75r16 Yokohama Geolandar AT/S, stubbie antenna. (GONE)
'11 F150, Ingot Silver XLT Off-Road Supercrew 275/65/18 Toyo AT2's
#5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Shift_lurker

This has been discussed in great length on the Titan forums and I'm guessing on here as well. Though I havent searched so I'm not entirely sure about that.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

About a month ago I had the passenger side seal replaced on teh rear axle, along with the bearings. I took it in because there was alot of oil, in my opinion, on that side of the axel. They replaced it in about 1.5 hours, and yes they replaced the bearings. They didn't charge me a penny. They even topped off the axle oil, which I wound up draining and replacing last weekend with sythetic.

2006 CC NISMO SWB Storm Grey, PRG 2.5, Sylvania Silverstar, K&N drop-in-filter, Flowmaster 50 Series, 285/75 Nitto Terra Graplers...
#7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Shift_lurker

I have an 06 KC. About a month ago I noticed leaking around the differential bolts and a whining sound at 40 - 55mph. The dealer here replaced the entire axle. Sometimes I still hear a whirring sound while accelerating but it is not leaking any more.
#8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have not done seals/bearings on the newer Frontier yet. I have done a few axle and pinion seals on the Titans. On the Titans, you do have to cut the bearings off to get to the seal. The seal is on the outer most part of your axle than the bearing. The bearings are pressed on. At our shop we heat the new bearing and it drops right into place onto the axle.

On the Titans there is a pressure relief/vent that gets plugged and it forces gearlube out through the seals. When we replace the seals, we clean out the vent. It seems to be a poor design since anyone who backs their truck into the water to unload their boats/watercraft, have a tendency to submerge their rear axle. I know on Jeeps, they have a hose that brings the vent up a lot higher on the body.
I'll have to check out the Frontier tomorrow to see how it's designed.

D.J.
2006 Xterra Off-Road
1992 Sentra Se-r w/ sr20ve

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.