Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Question: best way to sell my cap?

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  joem86 
#1 · (Edited)
Please note, it's not my intention to make this an ad for my truck cap. If you're interested you can look at my profile and see my posting in the Classifieds section.

A couple weeks ago I bought a 2011 Frontier that came with a really nice truck cap. I never was in the market for a truck with a cap, so I put it on Craigslist.

It's been 2 weeks and I've only had 1 low-ball offer. I currently have "Cap for sale" written on the sides/back of the cap along with my phone #, but no nibbles.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joe

#4 ·
Your just going to have to wait if you want anywhere close to your asking price. I sold mine a few months ago. The problem is that most buyers are not aware how rare a used cap/shell/topper is for this truck. They see them for Rangers, Tacos, S10, etc for like $200-400 and assume the same for our trucks. Our bed is a funky size and means that only a shell made for the truck will fit. The right buyer will come along if your price is reasonable. Don't expect near new cost though. My shell cost my $1150 + another $400 in upgrades new and I sold it 3 years later for $600.

#5 ·
To the OP: what color is your cap? What state and town/city do you live in? This might help,
I could not find your classified ad. Did you post it under parts or vehicles? What date did you post it? This would all help.

#8 ·
xtopherfishing: Black, I'm in central florida area. Here's the actual ad in the classifieds: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f114/fs-like-new-dcu-series-truck-cap-195297/
I didn't want to break any rules by self-promoting a classified ad in a general discussion area.

I've kind of assumed that shipping it is out of the question, but maybe I'm wrong? Also, I didn't realize we had a weird truck bed shape. Maybe I'll have to reconsider that low-ball offer...

#10 ·
Don't give it away, give it a little time.

Clint

#11 ·
That shell is not a frontier specific. Looks like a generic mid sized. Might want to list it as so.

the fact that it is a "work" shell limits some of your potential customers.

Have you tired your local news paper type classified.

Your price seems reasonable, but not exactly priced to move.

#15 ·
I think your biggest problem is it's a work cap/rack and not aesthetically matching the truck so your market is next to nil. Most people that want a cap want one less "industrial" (like me). The people that do want a cap like that one get it at the same time they get a truck for retail price and write it off on taxes as a work-related expense.

#17 ·
I'm gonna reduce it to $1000 for the setup. Hopefully that'll generate some interest.

I measured it today. It's 6'1" long, 4'10" wide, and 23" tall. So it pretty much only fits a Frontier/Equator (and maybe a Tacoma).

#18 ·
my opinion

well, I would put ALL pertinent info in Any add you put out (actual dimensions, color, vehicle it's currently on...)(all this should be on your CF add on the first post. Edit it to have all this. also edit the price to be your current asking price) and put it up on Craigslist & local print classifieds.

While you shouldn't give it away, its a "free" item to you since it came with your truck. It's a pet peeve of mine when people try to sell something used and expect 15% below retail and get upset or turn down an offer. Starting point should be 50%, and if it didn't sell quick at that price, you keep going down. The only reason to NOT go down is if you are happy to store it indefinitely. The only items that can demand a near-retail price are rare items or custom built items with long build/wait times. Shrock parts would be an example, and thats only because most people will pay despite being used because they don't want to wait.
With this cap & rack, you also have a VERY small pool of potential buyers. Me personally, if it sold for $500-700 I'd consider it fortunate indeed, unless you don't mind storing it for the next few years.

#20 ·
Tried calling ARE a few times, but nobody was home. Tried calling a couple ARE dealers in the area and they recommended what you guys said and measure myself and post the measurements. So far I know for sure that the cap fits a 2nd-gen Nissan Frontier with a 6'1" truck bed. I have a hunch it'll fit a similar Tacoma as well.

So far I have a local store that offered me $200 to take it off my hands, the reason being that people shopping for caps at used cap shops aren't looking to spend more than a few hundred. I think if I don't sell it soon I'll just accept defeat and go that route.

#22 ·
So I think I'll remove the ladder rack (since according to their website it should fit other vans/truck caps) and sell the cap to the shop. It sounded to me like they would still give me ~$200 without the ladder rack.

The rack should have a *much* larger buyer pool, since according to their website they're designed to fit existing mount points. Hopefully I could get $500 for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.