Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Question about remote starters in newer Frontiers...

18K views 41 replies 18 participants last post by  ratman6161 
#1 ·
Ok, I've been getting quotes for a remote starter in my 2015, and it feels like I'm getting some mixed responses. Some shops say you need to replace your factory keyfob (I know some people hate them, but mine seem to work great), and others have said I'll just get an additional small, single button remote (which I would prefer). Can anyone vouch for the credibilty of just adding the additional fob? A few shops said the install is very complicated and a new keyfob is a must. What gives?

Thanks

btw, I have an SV CC if that makes any difference

#3 ·
I don't have a '15 so im not sure its the same but i have a small seperate fob. I like it because i can remove it during the summer to make the keys smaller when i don't use it and add it back in winter.

#6 · (Edited)
I don't have a '15 so im not sure its the same but i have a small seperate fob. I like it because i can remove it during the summer to make the keys smaller when i don't use it and add it back in winter.
Exactly! Plus, I prefer the look and feel of the factory fob to the aftermarket ones I've seen thus far... Do you remember what brand yours is? It seems to me the single button version I saw was a Code-Alarm.

Coincidently, I had a VIPER remote start installed today, model 4105V in my 2015 Frontier.

The VIPER FOB replaces the factory Nissan FOB to lock/unlock the doors in addtion to the remote start. Also, it is smaller than the factory FOB, which is nice. Works from 1/4 mile away, which is a lot more than I need. Some of the more upscale versions let you remote start from about any distance, plus fancier remotes, etc.

The shop took about 3 hours and charged $325 for the unit and installation. I thought that was pretty fair.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, it does help. The quotes I've been getting are mostly between $280 and $400, so that sounds like it's right in the ballpark. I'll have to check out a Viper and see what I think of the fob.

I would concur the install is complicated. Modern vehicles run on a CAN/bus series of modules. I would only install a Plug N Play Nissan OEM remote starter. Stay away from aftermarket.
I'll have to look into that

#4 ·
I would concur the install is complicated. Modern vehicles run on a CAN/bus series of modules. I would only install a Plug N Play Nissan OEM remote starter. Stay away from aftermarket.

#8 ·
It depends on what remote start you get. Some replace the factory and can also add an alarm to it and others are just a simple single button remote start that does nothing to the original remote start. I have a viper system that replaced my fob and I have loved it. It has a 2 way remote that is super nice if you want to start the truck from a long distance because it will let you know if you were close enough to start the truck. Anyways, if you shop around and see what is available, you will see lots of options.

So in a nutshell, yes you can get a remote start without getting rid of the factory key fob.

PS, I am pretty sure you can utilize your factory key fob as the remote starter as well. Like 3 clicks of the lock button with start it. I am not sure what brand but one shop offered that as an option when I was looking into them.

#11 ·
I installed the fortin evo-one with Crimestopper REVO4 RFkit (2 fobs and antenna) that plug into the evo-one unit. It's as plug and play as you can get when used with the ignition T Harness. The biggest pain was finding the wires to tap into and programming the evo. I would say I have about $300 invested and i did all the work my self. It works so i am happy with it but i see why people pay to have it done.
Even with the T harness there are 8 manual wire connections to make. Lock/Unlock wires, Door pin, CanBus high and low and a couple between the evo harnesses.

#14 ·
I stopped by my local shop that installs these, and they said on a Nissan it's a 50/50 shot as to whether it'll work or not depending on what firmware is in the vehicle. They didn't exactly instill confidence. I can't remember the name of the brand they use, but it's not Viper. I kind of like what I've read about the Viper kits.

#16 · (Edited)
I have a 15 Fronty and the dealer installed the following starter.

https://www.compustar.com/product/remote-start/prime-901/

Works perfectly and the factory fobs still work for unlock/lock.

All starters need a separate fob. It just depends on if you want a complete replace or if you want to use your original fob you just add a single button start only system like the following.

https://www.compustar.com/product/remote-start/1bam/

There are even single button remotes that have full functionality

https://www.compustar.com/product/remote-start/slice-jr-2-way/

#17 ·
I install remote starts for a living. My company charges $279 installed with a bypass module for either a 1 button viper or 4 button viper. Typically when the oem remote is seperate from the key, we install a 4 button that locks, unlocks, starts and panics. Why? As said before the new remotes will work much farther away then the oem, and are typically smaller. When the remote is built into the keyfob, or vehicle is a push to start we use a 1 button.

The frontiers haven't changed much since 2005 and every company makes a bypass module to take care of the immobilizer. If a shop told you there is a chance it won't work and they don't know, run far away. I recommend sticking with viper brands (avital, automate, clifford, python) or compustar/arctic start. Any of these systems can be made to work via the oem nissan remote, you can add smartphone capability, and see proven as far as reliability

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

#20 ·
I noticed you install and recommend Viper brands. I was talking to my local installer and they stopped installing/recommending Viper brands both because if someone wants a new remote (from 1-way to 2-way for example) you have to install a new system? or replace a module in the car? They also mentioned that Viper was sold and the quality was not what it once was? They provide lifetime warranty on their systems they installed & any Compustar installed system.

Have you experienced issues with Viper having to replace the system to replace a remote with a new style/mode?

#24 ·
Thanks, one issue I may run into though, is integrating protection for my topper (mercury or pin swtiches) into the factory alarm. The other issue I run into, the preferred dealers for DEI products, one is run by rude buffoons (when I had a Viper system on my last pickup, the antenna failed, they told me it wasn't available any longer, when I called DEI they said it was available. The shop wouldn't budge, I found an antenna on ebay, bought it, they refused to install it. I ended up taking it to Car Toys, spent $150 to have them R&R the antenna and replace the one remote that had a broken screen, lasted another 5 yrs until I sold the truck), the other preferred installer is hesitant to install the higher end systems (Viper with the OLED remote) on the Nissan, they said they have a lot of compatibility problems. Car Toys is the only option I have left (there are a couple of small one shop operations that have even worse mixed reviews than the large shops), I will have to go back and talk to them some more and see what they can do for me.

#28 ·
I installed a dual stage shock sensor in my tailgate. This would prevent anyone from opening the camper.

I also installed a Pop Lock that integrates with the power locks to keep someone from opening the tailgate when locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27 ·
Got a quote here in Jersey of $450.00 plus tax to install Compustar Slice Jr 2-way remote start on my 2016 Frontier.

Part number: RF-2W1B-SP, 2,000 feet distance.

It locks/unlocks/starts.

Apparently when it has been remote started, the OEM FOB no longer works so you use the 2-way remote to unlock the door.

I like the fact that it tells you whether or not the car started. Used to have to go to a window in office and see if the brake lights were blinking with another car I had. 2,000 Feet distance should be enough to get through walls and stuff.

Wanted the Viper 4816v but the guy said they don't sell too many of them but if I wanted it, it would be $485.00 plus tax.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger

#29 · (Edited)
Where in jersey? My company does the 4816v for $349 installed with a bypass module, plus tax. Your oem remote will continue to function while running

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

And if you're oem remote isn't part of the key, you really don't want a 1 button rs. The best piece for you is a system that will replace the oem remote and lock, unlock, panic and start

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

#32 ·
This is what they are advertising:

This all-in-one bundle is all you need to remotely start and lock/unlock your vehicle.

The bundle includes Geek Squad installation, transponder, CAN Bus bypass kit and CS4102-S Compustar 2-Way LED 3000 remote starter.

#34 ·
I'll report back on the experience once I get it installed.

Here is the compustar page on the device: https://www.compustar.com/remote-start/cs4102-s-kit/

If I'm understanding correctly, I should be able to just carry this remote going forward along with my key.

Never used the panic button in any car I've ever had, so if that's not available on remote, not a biggie.

Thanks again for the input!

#36 ·
Here is a hint for those who say they want the separate single button so it can be removed in the summer etc. My 2013 came with three keys and two remotes. So when I had my viper system installed I just put the 3rd key on one of the now redundant OEM remotes. Or, Just witch out the entire remote when you don't want to carry the viper.

Another hint. I love having a two way system i.e. when I push a button on the remote, a light comes on telling me the message was sent to the truck. Then the truck responds back with a message received which gives me another light. So, when I'm out on the snowmobile trail, I can stop a half mile before i get back to the truck and trailer and start the engine so its warming up a few minutes before I get there. Also, sitting in my office, I can't actually see the truck. But the two way remote gives me reasonable assurance that its going to be started when I get there.

To me the pros of the two way remote far outweigh the cons and really, the Viper remote isnt really any bigger, just a bit differently shaped.

#39 ·
I'm digging this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/compust...ion/9999274100050002.p?skuId=9999274100050002

CompuStar - CompuStar 2-Way LED Vehicle Remote Starter Kit with Geek Squad® Installation

I put away the factory remote as this one locks and unlocks the doors. Basically replaces the OEM one.

I tested the distance and on my bus ride home, about 1/4 mile away I'm able to start the truck. It fits the bill, I just wanted it to run a bit before I drive off and it's about a minute or so before I'm at the truck, hop in and drive away. If you park outside, then it's a big plus on cold mornings as long as you remember to keep the heat on.

So far, I'm happy with it and the price.

#41 ·
Viper also has function features that can be programed.
I had a viper remote start on my previous 2012 Frontier and had BestBuy program my heated mirrors and rear glass defrost to automatically turn on if the temperature was below 32 degrees and I could also manually turn on or off the heated mirrors and rear window defrost with the function buttons on the remote key fob.
Heck from what I understood you could have other features programmed like have your power windows roll down/up, sun roof open/close ect....all with your remote key fob.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.