Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Question about '14 Desert Runner, the wheels, and is this a good deal on the truck?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  upflying 
#1 ·
Hey guys! So we are working a pretty dang good deal on a new '14 Desert Runner, white, crew cab. MSRP is $26,355

Story of this truck:

The dealership took off the stock desert runner wheels and upgraded the wheels before putting the truck up for sale, but this immediately threw the tire pressure sensor. In the meantime (apparently) they took the desert runner wheels and put them on a stock frontier which has since sold. So, they took off the upgraded wheels and put a stock set of Frontier S or SV wheels (not sure which yet) and fixed the tire pressure sensor problem and now are offering me a '14 desert runner with stock frontier wheels.

The price we agreed upon (before I found out it was missing the wheels) was $23,790 which I think is a decent deal since most of the '14s are nearly sold.

I told him at that price I wanted stock desert runner wheels on her, BUT we are planning on getting new wheels and tires right away anyway so if they will drop the price some more we would do the deal without them.

What are your guys thoughts on the price I am getting so far and also about this deal?

If I were to sell the stock desert runner wheels and tires (or try to find them) what would they be worth so I can use this # in negotiation.

Thanks guys!

Steve

See less See more
#2 ·
If it were me, I would demand the stock wheels put back on the truck. Different non stock wheels for a particular vehicle decreases the value of it. The Desert Runner has specific wheels just like the other models to set it apart. Without those, you have what looks like a 2wd SV with painted bumpers and grill along with Desert Runner decals stuck on the bed.

Mentioning that you are planning on replacing the wheels shortly after purchase may not help much in the negotiation. Since the dealer knows this, they will probably be less likely to negotiate the price with you on the wrong set of wheels.

The stock Desert Runner Wheels are not worth all that much. There are a lot of Pro4-X wheels that pop up on my local Craigslist for around $300-500 with new tires on them. Each area is different though.

#3 ·
Personally I would demand that they discount the truck by the cost of the desert runner wheels according to the Nissan parts catalog. I suspect this will be in the neighborhood of $2000+. I would not even request that they put the Desert Runner wheels back on since you would be getting rid of them anyways.

BTW the '14s are still being made.... They are not "nearly sold".

#5 ·
As others have said hit them up for a larger discount. Doesn't matter what your intentions are (chaging to aftermarket wheels) because you are getting hosed on the deal right now.

#7 ·
Crooked dealers, they scam buyers by taking off stock wheels and "upgrading" with cheap aftermarket wheels at substantial markup.
If I bought such a truck, I would ask, "where are the stock wheels I paid for"?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.