Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Question on purchasing new Frontiers below invoice ?

13K views 62 replies 22 participants last post by  whistler 
#1 · (Edited)
Question on purchasing new Frontiers below invoice?

In the many years of purchasing and owning vehicles I have for the most part bought used and keep them for years. I have bought only (2) new vehicles one being a 1998 Nissan 200SX SER. For the most part I generally purchased the new cars at invoice minus any customer rebates/incentives plus up to a couple of hundred for dealer profit; and that generally was a long and difficult process. I have noticed in the recent years that customer rebates have dwindled in both the amount and rarity. Also most states dealers charge a doc fee (in NC about $600) being another way dealer's gain profit. I can justify getting a new 2016 Frontier if I can get it significantly below invoice; I have not yet started any negotiations but I am skeptical any of my local dealers at least are willing to let a new frontier go for such a discount especially when their stock is limited to a couple of new frontiers. I was curious if anybody knew how the dealers would not be taking a loss selling for thousands below invoice? I know their is a couple percent dealer hold back. Is there some sort of huge dealer incentive from Nissan? Just curious if anybody had any insight. Thanks.

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Quesion on purchasing new Frontiers below invoice ?

What dealer is going to take a loss by selling "thousands below invoice"? Even paying with cash won't get you to that point.

#3 ·
What dealer is going to take a loss by selling "thousands below invoice"? Even paying with cash won't get you to that point.
None. I just looking for insight on how a dealer is still making a profit by selling a vehicle below invoice specifically on new Frontiers. I assuming there is some sort of significant dealer incentive?

#5 ·
when I bought my Frontier, I used a website: Carcostcanada.com to see what the dealers invoice, reasonable mark-up, and any factory incentives that may be offered . It saved me at least $1500 . I'm sure there is an American equivalent website . Good luck .

#8 ·
Thanks. That is some good info that will hopefully assist others. I suppose getting the best deal is partly being at the right dealer at the right time!

#9 · (Edited)
Had my truck in for service a couple weeks ago and was talking to the new sales manager that had just started. I was asking about any allocations on a 2016 PRO-4X. He had no clue as to what that even was. We went to his office and he started looking at his inventory screen and did not know what MT/KC or AT/CC meant. He turned the screen around to show me the PRO 4X and I made a quick mental note of the invoice price on an automatic CC w/luxury pkg was 31,500, hold back 500.00. That's all I needed to know and thanked him for checking.

#10 · (Edited)
Had my truck in for service a couple weeks ago and was talking to the new sales manager that had just started. I was asking about any allocations on a 2016 PRO-4X. He had no clue as to what that even was. We went his office and he started looking at his inventory screen and did not know what MT/CC or AT/CC meant. He turned the screen around to show me the PRO 4X and I made of mental note of the invoice price on an automatic CC w/ luxury pkg was invoice at 31,500, hold back 500.00. That's all I needed to know and thanked him for checking.
Wow. I just looked up the invoice on a 2016 PRO-4X Auto CC w/luxury package from Edmunds and the car connection....looks to be $33,811. The price you saw was about $2300 less. For whatever reason the true invoice is significantly lower, this could be how it appears that some are getting deals of $2000-2500 or so under "invoice". Thanks for the info!

#16 ·
Doing a little research helps when time to dance with the dealership. US News indicates a PRO 4X TRUECar Estimate*: $32,444 Estimated Savings: $1,346 (3.98%) off MSRP of $33,790. So my previous note on invoice price seems plausible. If I were ready to purchase my main concern would be the best deal I could negotiate but still considering that the sales guy/woman also needs to make a living. That would most likely shorten the time spent negotiating since I pretty well know where my bottom line is. Good luck OP.

https://secure.bestprice.rankingsandreviews.com/nc/registration/295342

#26 ·
I do not feel too confident that I will be pulling the trigger on a new Frontier anytime soon. No local stock available for what I am looking for. I am waiting to hear back what is coming in the next 4-6 weeks on the dealer's allotment and what the $$$ numbers are. I suspect I will be keeping my 1st gen for awhile!

#28 ·
I think one of the most asinine things our local dealers do is the "dealer install". I was going to buy a new Frontier until all of his stock had a "weather package" to the tune of $900 and it was non negotiable. For the $900 you got all weather floor mats (a fraction of the function of a WeatherTech set), nitrogen in the tires and some BS window add.

I walked out.

#30 ·
The doc fees are 100% BS and just more profit for them. Here it's around $600 too. Unfortunately in my experience they won't eliminate them and always say that they're "required", but I always negotiate on the sell price enough to at least eliminate the doc fee amount.
I really hate doing the price dance but you have to unless you want to pay way too much for a vehicle. Remember that the sticker price is a fantasy price for them. They'd rather sell more cars at a lower profit than a few at a high profit. What frustrates me is when they won't move on a good car because they know someone will buy it. Reasons like that is why I will likely try to find a private party first when it's time to buy.

#32 ·
Dealing with car salesmen and the management staff I found very distasteful. I've been fortunate over the past 30 years or so to know either the owners or GM's in that I didn't have to deal with the sales dance. Not sure I ever got a better deal but is was hassle free at lease.
Didn't have any Nissan contacts hence entering the sales dance. Hated it and probably will never buy another vehicle if I don't have a contact.

#31 · (Edited)
I was able to buy mine significantly below invoice (Sticker was over $30,580. Got it for $26295 plus actual DMV fees and tax) by getting multiple quotes online and then working one dealer against the other (I never shop in person). The last few days of the month is always the best time, especially if they aren't sure they will make their bonus. My dealer was getting $500 per vehicle back from Nissan if they sold 100 in the month. Sales manager (didn't deal with the salesman) was willing to take a loss on one vehicle to secure the bonus. Plus - they get kickbacks from Nissan financing so they will push for that. That was one condition of the sale but their interest rate was extremely good at the time. Sales manager also said that he didn't care if I refinanced it somewhere else immediately because he'd still get paid the same.

Other brand's dealerships work a little differently. The VW sales people got a flat dollar amount per car sold, regardless of profit to the dealership and a bonus for selling more cars. They were more motivated to make any sale regardless of profit.

#33 ·
I just started the dance and can't even get initial numbers from supposedly the areas highest volume Nissan dealer and have been in contact with them since Monday! Latest is I need to wait 4-6 weeks and I will have some numbers by 2:00 today the latest (already 5). Frustrating since I have a few people interested in my 2002 but can't get back to them unless I know that a 2016 is even feasible deal wise.

#34 ·
I always heard that the bigger the volume they order from the maker, the better price per vehicle they get. That's why it is worth the drive to find a high-volume dealer if there is one a few hours away. Kinda like basic sales. Buy one for this price, buy 5 for 5% off, or buy 10 at 10% off. I bought my 16 just before Christmas, so I got a hell of a year-end deal.

#35 ·
Well it looks like I hit a brick wall. I can't make any deals on a truck if the dealers don't have any in stock or can't find one with my specs. I guess 2016 crew 4x4 lwb with value package is just too hard to find. Told by couple dealers that these trucks are just starting to come out?

#39 ·
When they see you are emotional about what you want.........they know they have you.
I'm not experienced at garnering the best price, but I could see it ($)v($) in their eyes when the truck I wanted (SV KC V6 6-sp manual) couldn't be found...thus mandating a factory order.
Best advice: if you do actually find what you want on some lot somewhere, you should unemotionally pounce on it. Can't tell you how to do this, but timing can be everything when seeking a rare/rarer Frontier iteration.

#40 · (Edited)
Good advice. Been doing the dance by phone since last night and all day today. Talking to multiple dealers (some in the same auto group but different locations). Found the exact truck I want but it is coming down regarding a $1000 "care package" that includes window tint, paint protection, nitrogen in the tires, 2 free oil changes, wheel locks, lifetime state inspections blah blah blah. They inflated the MSRP up by this and right now they are not budging. All I care about is the bottom line and still off by $900 :frown: I am willing to budge a couple hundred maybe since I would of got the windows professionally tinted anyway.

#41 ·
Well I am pretty much done. After the above dealer pretty much said the price was a mistake and now is over $2K more. I can't deal with the games any longer.

#44 ·
Invoice and MSRP are meaningless numbers. Invoice does not represent what a dealer actually pays, and MSRP is not the price that anyone other than a few people pay. So setting an arbitrary price above or below invoice or MSRP is not a good idea. $500 below invoice may be a good deal on some cars, but you can do a lot better on a Frontier.

You have to look and see what dealers are actually selling the vehicles for, and include transportation and dealer processing fees to get a relevant price. Lots of dealers have price information on line now, that's a good starting point. You can also look at TrueCar.com for some ideas on pricing. Email the dealers and ask them for an out the door price on a specific vehicle. Let them know that you're not coming into the showroom until you have a firm price.

When I bought my Frontier, I had a firm price from a no-haggle dealer (fitzmall.com). I compared that price with what I could get elsewhere, and just went for the best price I could find. I just repeated the process with a 2016 GTI that I ordered.

Here are some no haggle prices on Frontiers at a south-central PA dealership.

Inventory Search Page - New and Used Cars | Fitzgerald Auto Mall

Vic

#46 ·
You have to look and see what dealers are actually selling the vehicles for, and include transportation and dealer processing fees to get a relevant price. Lots of dealers have price information on line now, that's a good starting point. You can also look at TrueCar.com for some ideas on pricing. Vic
Actually I gave the truecar service a try and received what I would say a pretty good pricing in comparison to what the best deals posted by CF members in the last few months....the pricing includes everything except tax and tags. IMO it was still $800 too high for what I would consider an "excellent" deal. Unfortunately it was the wrong color; one of their sister dealers had the exact truck but it had the "care" package, that is when the negotiations fell apart , I may have considered it if they offered the same pricing on a different color that they unfortunately did not have in stock. I actually extended my search outside of the NC area and now talking to dealers near Baltimore MD.

#47 · (Edited)
Don't drive yourself crazy, I found a fonty I wanted at the local dealer on the net, (a demo) but they sold it the day before I got there. I happened to know there were two more exactly the same, one across state, the sales manager checked it with me looking at the screen, He said you want it I'll give it to you for invoice, I asked if he would ship it for free and he said yes, I said deal, get it. AFTER that, I "asked" him if he would buy my chevy and we wheeled and dealed for that separate. Good luck.

#48 · (Edited)
The problem I am seeing is that their just are not many trucks with the configuration I am looking at: 2016 CC SV 4X4 SV value package and what even complicates it more is getting it in the color I want (copper) but right now I am considering a less rarer color - Lava Red. I gave trucar a try and have been bombarded by calls and emails since Fri (big mistake). The best trucar certificate was for the above truck + mud flaps for $28,800 (including doc fees) + tax and tags for a silver truck that they had in stock (MSRP $31460). Sure the dealers are willing to do a dealer trade for any truck they can locate but the savings goes down. I think that price is a good starting point and started to call dealers outside the state but not having too much luck since they just don't have the exact truck I am looking at. Has anyone had any positive experience in using a truecar certificate from one dealer and seeing if another dealer would beat it (assuming similar trucks in stock)?

#49 · (Edited)
10% below sticker is not unreasonable and with perseverance is achievable. This could include rebates. If they don't want to talk, you walk. I'll bet they will be running after you.
As an aside. Only negotiate on the vehicle you want first. Have a price in mind before you go in. If you need to track things write your goals down so you can refresh your memory if they start double talking you. REMEMBER the salesman is not your friend! Don't let them dissuade you from that. Then and only then talk about rebates, interest rates, trade in, or extended warranty. Negotiate each separately and push hard on every point.

It's not too late in the model year to have one built to your spec. The dealer makes out like a bandit here because they get money for promotion, detailing, etc from the manufacturer. If it doesn't sit on the lot they pocket that money. Of course you may have to wait 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. As spring is around the corner claim any coming rebates as yours as part of the deal.

#52 ·
It's not too late in the model year to have one built to your spec. The dealer makes out like a bandit here because they get money for promotion, detailing, etc from the manufacturer. If it doesn't sit on the lot they pocket that money. Of course you may have to wait 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. As spring is around the corner claim any coming rebates as yours as part of the deal.
I tried going the route of special order (sat down at the dealer yesterday)....talked to the sales manager and was told a special order is about 10% extra (charged by Nissan). The only other option would be a dealer trade but depending on distance that would be an extra charge also. Seems like to only option in getting the best deal is find the exact truck wanted in stock from a particular dealer. At least this is what I am seeing. Maybe other's have saved $ from having their frontier built to spec?

#50 ·
I was under the assumption that special order vehicles did not get as good a deal compared to what a dealer has in inventory. definitely noticing that any vehicle that a dealer is willing to get from a dealer trade even if they are in the same auto group is no way near as good a deal. I may give having one built a try! Thanks.

#58 ·
If you find what you want...GO GET IT...before it is gone. Dealers don't want to lift a finger if they don't have to...and most salesmen don't know their product.

You can learn a lot about what is offered at:

https://ppg.nissanproduct.info/public.php?make=1

#59 ·
Agreed! Found the one I want to purchase but I need to first sell my 1st gen for the down payment. :frown:

#60 ·
Well I sold my 1st gen (1st person to come look) with cash in hand this morning. So I will be going to my local dealer once again later this afternoon. I spent the entire week talking and emailing Nissan dealers all over for their best deal. Problem is only a handful of dealers have any LWB trucks in a 250 mile radius and I have been unsuccessful getting any kind of reasonable numbers. Maybe I will see what March has to offer....but not I am without a truck!!!

#61 ·
When a dealer senses you are emotionally driven to get a specific truck...the less likely they are to deal. I'm no master at the art of buying a vehicle...I'm just not richard-ish-enuff. Will say if you want a rock-bottom price you need to be able to stand up, then walk out of there...and hope they stop you before you leave.
>:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.