Nissan Frontier Forum banner

possibility of an affordable big brake kit

13K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  krankybuluk 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have been trolling a few different suppliers and forums and it doesn't seem appart from the stillen kit (expensive) there is nothing apart from pads, disks and brake lines...which all in all are a good improvement don't get me wrong :angel:...
but we could do a little better I think, few threads started with evo, CTS or 350Z calipers calipers but they all end before any tangible result pops out...

So I took it upon myself to contact a company in CA that thinks could manufacture a kit for under $1000. they are not a sponsor to the forum so as respect for the forum sponsor i will not mention the company name until we have enough numbers to justify a group purchase!
but here is what they suggest:

""Yes It seems like there are some people interested and I'm sure we would be able to offer a kit for under $1000. I say we take the largest stock rotor that came off th v8 motor frontier and then use a toyota truck caliper with a custom bracket. cheap and they have good truck calipers, keep out dirt ect."

what do you guys think?

See less See more
#4 ·
there wasnt, i think a comma was supposed to go there.

im game for larger better functioning calipers.
the major factor here will be the abs brick though, virtually everyone i have see swap components of their stock brake system. has had a pot of issues to follow when they keep their abs brick plumed.
my goal for this year is to bypass it and live in harmony with my brakes.
im in for a decent set of calipers though, so let a brother know what you come up with.

side note, has anyone looked into 350z/g35 brembos actually fitting? i have rear calipers hanging around from a factory g35 and they look damn close to the same thing.
but i dont know or think the brembos would fit under 16s

#5 ·
thanks for the enthusiasm guys.....
try to answer your questions in order;

- nismo 16" rims, probably not unless maybe you use spacers the issue being the offset of the rims on the d40! the calipers hit the side of the rims before anything else...there is a few people in spain running 15" rims on d40 navara with 12'(303mm) disks and no problems it's just a question of offset on the rim. Nissan went to 17" because it was easier to do that then go through all legalities of changing track width (IMO)

- there was no v8 frontier, I think the builder is thinking on using pathfinder v8 disk for the kit, use of OEM parts makes it more reliable/longer lasting

-No idea about the ABS issues, but on my d40 I can put a switch on the ABS power supply to shut it off....brings the dash light on but at least you can decide when abs is on or not...

-350z/g35 brembos would be a great option, from the limited info I have from this side of the world same lug pattern (apparently) and disk is a little wider 30mm instead of 28mm which would mean more endurance. from what i have heard those calipers may not be the most reliable but it wasn't from a reliable source... but it is being done in otherparts of the world;
Nissan Navara 4pot Brake Kit - Car Accessories & Parts for sale in Bandar Sunway, Selangor
a 300zx redrilled rotor and caliper IMO but they won't export as they probably need to tweak it in a bit to fit... depending on the different models of d40....

anyhow just spoke to the shop and he will need complete spindles with LCA, steering rod end, shock and brake lines to make sure it all fits in....i will have to find a wreckers around his shop...LOL

#6 ·
I'm unhappy with the pedal feel on my stock brakes, its far too soft and not confidence inspiring. I looked into upgrading to V8 Pathfinder parts, and purchased the master cylinder from one to increase the pedal feel. Unfortunately, it was a four-port master cylinder and my truck has a two-port master cylinder in order to work with the ABS.

I was in a new 16' Taco recently and the brakes on that truck felt worlds better.

#9 ·
Hi guys,

here is the kit builders comment on 350Z brembos:
"i dont like brembo because your trying to stay under $1000, also not readily available.
stick with cast iron Toyota calipers. they are strong and reliable."
I do have to agree with him on this if you want lightweight racing type upgrade you can get stillen or rgm motorsport.
for under 1000 you want something easy and reliable and for which parts are easy cheap and readily available....

Nitro racer and colodak: yes braided lines+disks + pads are a great upgrade and I would sugeest also dot 4.0 or 5.1 racing brake fluid as it also makes a big difference. but the disk and pads upgrade if you go through the forum can have a few dusting and warping issues we offorading with big wheels and towing...hence why the upgrade to new calipers...

anyone else interested yet?
I was hoping someone not to far from fab shop could be interested so he could pop in and get it all measured up...LOL

cheers

#10 ·
Hi guys,
Nitro racer and colodak: yes braided lines+disks + pads are a great upgrade and I would sugeest also dot 4.0 or 5.1 racing brake fluid as it also makes a big difference. but the disk and pads upgrade if you go through the forum can have a few dusting and warping issues we offorading with big wheels and towing...hence why the upgrade to new calipers...
In terms of the braking feel, I was planning on upping the bore size of the master cylinder to give a harder pedal. The stock V6 Frontier master cylinder is 1" while the V8 Pathfinder runs a 1 1/16" bore size. That larger bore will increase the pedal firmness. Unfortunately, it wasn't a direct swap and there appear to be 2 and 4 port ABS systems between the years of D40 and R51 trucks. More info here: The Nissan Path :: View topic - V8 Owner Question

With how new my rubber lines are I'm not too concerned about upgrading those to braided stainless. Same for the rotors, I don't run anything but cheap blanks and good fluid in my racecar, its all about having good pads and bedding them in properly.

#11 ·
Thanks for the input Nitro racer!!

so for the momment only andrew VK really interested in 4 pot calipers and 303mm/330mm disks?
thanks

#13 ·
I could see doing this if you tow a lot (even then you should have trailer brakes), but the brakes in my truck seems to stop me on a dime. Maybe there is a reason i am not seeing here?

#14 ·
Gen 2 Frontiers do have a different brake feel (kinda soft/spongy)...so perhaps it is the folks who often switch vehicles that are experiencing this issue the most? It always takes me some time to 'adjust' to my gal's Honda Fit's brakes...but thankfully we generally take my truck into town. Cuz peripherally watching her head bobbing while I try to brake smoothly is definitely disconcerting.

#15 ·
i just rebuilt my calipers and rotors, and pads and my brakes are amazing.
fluid exchange as well.

my brakes feel amazing, i would still be interested in doing some kind of brake swap in the future.
but honestly, i think we should look into the bolt on avenue, possibly brembos or something of the sort.

#16 ·
thanks for feed back guys,
you sort of have all the questions in..yes brake feel is not bitty enough jumping from one car to the other and that is one of the problems...:nerd:
the idea also is to be able to provide a cheap DIY kit! where we get the shop to semi-mass produce the caliper bracket.
so you can just buy the bracket and source yourself the disk and calipers, or buy the complete kit form the shop...
what do you guys think::grin::?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.