LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Positive Battery Terminal

I found some posts on this, but none seemed to answer my specific issue. I have a severely corroded battery terminal and acquired a replacement terminal and fuse block from the dealership. The problem is the existing battery terminal on the cable seems to have the post that attaches to the fuse box weld nutted on. I can't seem to find a way to get the post/stud off the severely corroded terminal. Here's a picture of the old/new side by side.

It's a 2008 Frontier Crew Cab 4.0L V6.

These posts weren't so helpful for my specific problem:

Battery terminal box

Need to replace positive battery junction terminal....anybody got a price?

The new terminal for the cable doesn't appear to have a crimp on interface and if I could just get the stud out of the existing terminal, I'd be good to go. I thought I had cleaned the corrosion off sufficiently and the rest of the stuff came apart once it was clean enough. I really don't want to have to drill this stud out if I don't have to and I'd prefer not to have to cut the existing terminal off and recrimp a new one on, especially since the replacement part from the dealer doesn't appear to be designed for that. Any help is greatly appreciated.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	batt-terminals-2.jpg
Views:	7477
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	28457  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Shift_Fanatic

looks like you may have to cut or drill it .maybe flip over the old terminal and post a pic,try some pliers and twist gently should come off.in the future get some protectection on there
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 03:11 AM
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother-Maynard View Post

The new terminal for the cable doesn't appear to have a crimp on interface and if I could just get the stud out of the existing terminal, I'd be good to go. I thought I had cleaned the corrosion off sufficiently and the rest of the stuff came apart once it was clean enough. I really don't want to have to drill this stud out if I don't have to and I'd prefer not to have to cut the existing terminal off and recrimp a new one on, especially since the replacement part from the dealer doesn't appear to be designed for that. Any help is greatly appreciated.

John
What did you end up doing on this? I have an 08 as well and am in the same boat as you.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:31 AM
Shift_lurker

I went to Autozone today and bought a pair of brass marine battery terminals for $4.99. They are made by Lynx and the item # is 01254. The wing nut and bolt can be removed. I plan to cut the 08 battery terminal off after the stud and use that stud as the mounting point to the marine terminal.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Shift_Hardcore

^^^ just buy what he did and your set. Take a good look at the terminal. There is a 10mm (i belive) attaching the terminal to that fuse block piece. Unbolt and replace the piece. I got mine at a local auto parts place so you shouldnt have a hard time locatingg one. The replacement ones you can buy are 1000x better than the tinfoil factory one. On a side note, I belive the factory one become streched over time and moves quite a bit on the post itself causing it to ge all that nasty white buildup around the terminal. Once I replaced mine I have not seen this problem and its been a year plus. Hope this helps.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Went to Advanced Auto and got one for $7.99 gold plated. After 2 months of occasionally going under the hood to move the terminal around till the truck started. lol

2005 CC NISMO auto Storm Grey/ NISMO CAI/ Hunter Bull Bar/ Debadged tailgate/ Demudflaped/ CST 4" Spindles w 2" Blocks/ 18x9 Moto Metals 285/60/18 Nitto Desert Tires/ Eclipse 3100 deck, Kicker 45x4 channel amp, 4x651 Polk Audio coax speakers/ Blacked out badgeless grill/ Custom NISMO Offroad fender logos/ Destickered Roof Rack

2006 Sinister DNA
2007 KTM 690 Supermoto
Deckcrafters Skateboards
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 12:29 AM
Shift_lurker

I am trying to replace the positive terminal for my 2006 Nissan Frontier battery, but I cannot get the bolt off that connects the terminal to the fuse box. How did you remove the bolt?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Shift_Hardcore

I cant remember there being any special way to do Mervin, but that was years ago. Just more elbow grease, but carful not to snap that fuse thingie.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 10:32 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

How about a little penetrating oil and let it soak for a bit of time.

The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

2010 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab Long Bed 4X4 Radiant Silver 6-Speed
2007 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4X4 Desert Stone
2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Frosted Steel
2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Yellow Jacket Edition 6-Speed Stinger Yellow
2014 Nissan Sentra SR Aspen White
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Shift_Fanatic

I did similar on my daughter's '98 Pathfinder positive terminal. Since the marine terminals had a 5/16 inch stud and the Nissan ring connectors had a 6mm hole, and I didn't think there was enough metal to drill, I decided instead to buy a traditional brass repair terminal, and drill and tap it for a 6.0 x 1.0mm stud, and used that.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.