Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Patiently waiting for the 2017 Frontier, any news?

9K views 41 replies 24 participants last post by  ef9 
#1 ·
Am I the only guy who is waiting for the next new design?
My 2011 Pro-4X has been flawless, greatest truck I have ever owned.
I am interested in the next generation and have been finding some info on it but not much. I am hearing the off-road version will not have leaf springs and will be using a 5-Bar (4 link) coil spring rear suspension. If that's the case, will the Dana 44 E-lock still be offered? I want to also see what the electronic package details, I hope to see some real new improvements. I have looked at the Chevy/GMC new Colorado Canyons but they are coming up short in a few areas where the Frontier still offers more. I hope the new design can also be lifted without major modifications, I'll do it.
Anyone with news on the next truck, let's hear the details.

#2 ·
I'm expecting big things with the 2017 Frontier, there is some evidence it will look like the Navarra, diesel engine will be offered, etc. As far as I know there is nothing positive that says the 2017 will even be a new truck, it remains possible that they will delay yet another year. Nissan moves slowly and doesn't throw out teasers very often. I don't expect to hear any news out of Nissan before summer, if then. Hope I'm wrong, I'd like to be driving a new truck and this is one I'd look hard at.

You can study the Navarra specs and figure that's going to be pretty close, but what do I know?

#4 · (Edited)
Have to agree - I think it might be until at least 2018 before they put a redesign on the North American market. I have no clue what it will look like but I hope it's not the same sheet metal then what's being sold outside North America. I don't like the look of that at all.

The current Frontier's sales are not that bad (look at Good Car Bad Car) even with the new GM/Chev and Tacoma. I suspect Nissan will hobble through the time before the redesign with heavy rebates on the old Frontier much like they did with the old Titan.

#6 ·
They sell more trucks every year by letting people speculate about when the new "ugly" design is going to show up and buyers getting one of the current model while they still can! I've heard that talk here and also on the Tacoma forums, don't know how much it translates to actual sales.

Just like cars, they're bringing fuel saving shapes to the sheet metal of trucks- eventually we might see a Prius looking front end with a cargo bed. All they have to do is sell it to the consumer, but m.p.g. numbers influence buying decisions.

Sorry, got off topic, but I don't think there's any news out there on the 2017's or what year they will offer a redesigned Frontier.

#7 ·
The plan could be to wait until everyone realizes what a let down the new GM midsize and Tacoma trucks are and then pick up the disgruntled owners looking to replace their truck with a redesigned Frontier (or diesel).

#10 ·
Actually the new Colorado and Canyon are selling very well.
I'm Nissan brand loyal and will buy a new truck in two years but they better still offer a manual transmission.

Clint

#9 ·
My crystal ball is broken and guessing is such a waste of time. So I'll just have to do like you and EVERYBODY else and wait for Nissan to release information about it. There are no insiders in here and even if there were do you think they'd tell you about what they know?

#11 ·
I really like the new Navara. My bet is they are working on a 3.7L VQ V6 model with a 7AT and 6MT for North America. Those features with the new 5 link coil rear suspension will be very desirable.

I'm not interested in the GMs because they don't offer a 6MT 4wd. I'm not willing to pay a premium for the updated Toyota that's rolling on the same old chassis with the new weak 3.5L either.

#12 ·
My 2 Cents. Nissan's goal is to hit 10 percent market share in US. With Honda releasing 2017 Ridgeline, I'm betting Nissan will roll out a new 2017 Frontier so not to lose to much midsize truck market share to Chevy, Toyota, and Honda. Also read the Ford Ranger is coming back to the states. Again My 2 Cents:)

#14 ·
So many topics about this. No one knows anymore than you do. They have not confirmed a design or a release date. Let the rumors begin...or continue.

#15 · (Edited)
Nissan is heavily marketing the 4th generation in different countries since introduction so it's only reasonable to expect the same core truck design for the states. I'm sort of liking it already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeZWJeIJxuE

#16 ·
The 4th generation??? Did we in North America miss the third generation? Because so far, we've only had two generations. The first was the 1998-2004 version and the second is the 2005-present version.

Reactions: NYCe_Frontier
#17 ·
Right on meant to just say new generation model. Glad they are being sold now to others as we will hopefully get a new truck that has some of the first year kinks worked out.

#18 ·
Just FYI. The 2005 version had been sold in other markets as a 2004. When it came to North America it had a different power train, as will the next generation that finally makes it here. The '05 and several years after had kinks, as will the next generation, no doubt.

#20 ·
I talked to a dealer in AZ last week. His contact at Nissan basically told him the 2017 Frontier will mechanically be the same with a little trim change. The 2018 will be a new Frontier. No release date.

The sales person said information on the 2017 may start to flow end of Oct early Nov. Of course this is all rumor. Nothing in writing from the dealer.

#22 ·
Yea it's pretty well assumed now the Frontier will be a redesigned 2018 unit but thanks for the link.

#24 ·
A few "2017" are showing up at the dealerships (basic work truck).. On the dealers web site there is no info other than a photo. What one sales contact told me the 2017 is mechanically the same as well as not changes to the body/trim. He could not tell me what options or packages will be available.

This gets me to thinking is Nissan skipping a model year? That is the existing Frontier will be sold without any changes until late 2017 when Nissan will introduce the "new" Frontier as a 2018 model.

I sent an email to Nissan USA and all I got was they have not released any info on the 2017, even though I told them some dealers are listing 2017 Frontiers for sale. I was really hoping that one could get the power seats / leather without having to get the moon roof and roof rack.

As of this morning there is nothing on the Nissan site regarding the 2017 Frontier.

#31 ·
As an poor, old, retired school teacher, I outgrew the need for vehicle upgrades every 2 or 3 years some time ago. My 2011 SV CC is the best truck I have ever had, except for my strange throttle response and the short bed that came on my truck. The short bed I have to live with, and the throttle might get fixed with a tune, but overall, I am very happy with the truck the way it is. Highway ride is better than a lot of passenger cars, firm but not harsh.

That said, I am sorta glad that Nissan is conservative in its release of new products. The "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude makes it nice for those who like to mod their trucks, because aftermarket parts are so compatible across the years. I plan on keeping this truck until they have to bury me in it.

Wonder if the new diesel would fit in my truck, though?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.