It's 5000 miles or 6-months, whichever comes first...not "either/or."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 08:08 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Even synthetic oil has a shelf life. About 4 years.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 01:52 PM
Shift_Hardcore
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodark View Post
I just bought a new Frontier. The owner's manual says the oil should be changed every 5,000 miles or 6 months. I have no problem with the 5,000 mile requirement, but this will be a low mileage truck and it will not be driven on short trips. If I change the oil every 6 months, I will only have 1500-2500 miles on the oil, and modern oils can easily go a year or more with no problems. I don't want to void the warranty. Should I go ahead and change the oil every 6 months regardless of how few miles I have driven? Thanks!
Based on that comment, then change the oil at 6 months. Remember - the manual says 5,000 OR 6 months - Simple as that. Follow the manual and suggested oil change intervals and disregard everyone else's reply above, because whatever we do with our trucks is what we choose to do... if you try stretching it to save a few bucks and have a problem in the future (yes unlikely, but you never know) what are you going to have to defend your warranty claim? "Oh the forum guys told me I could do this"? LOL

Or in other words:
C'mon man, it's at most, $40 for an oil change. Don't cheap out on your truck.

- Raine.

Keira is here.
click above for my build thread

TYPE CREW CAB SV 4x4 VTP COLOR NIGHT ARMOR LIFT 3.5"/2.5" NAME KEIRA

SUSP: Custom King Shocks . Total Chaos . Level-8 . Deaver . Nisstec . Bilstein . PRG . BF Goodrich
EXT: White Knuckle . PIAA . White Rhino . Truxedo . Firestik . Evoc . BlueSea . Morimoto . Mitsuba
A/V: DNX-892 . TWK-88 . PDX-V9 . HSK-165XL . DCX-165.3 . 2x 10TW1-4 . Dynamat . 2x Cameras
MODS: Power Tailgate Lock . Custom CB Antenna Mount . Trailer Plug Relocate . Diff Breather Mod
MORE: Midland . UltraGauge . Raingler . Working OEM SWC, Bluetooth, USB . Some Cool Stickers

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:23 PM
Shift_Enthusiast
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Well, let me those this in the discussion. My wife drives a 2013 Buick Verano, we bought new in March of 2014 with 160 miles on the odometer. We only recently hit 13,500 miles. According to the oil life monitor for the car, the oil is still at 55%. We change the oil twice a year, it only runs Synthetic, I have two sets of tires/wheels for the car, when the summer wheels go, the oil gets changed, when the winter wheels go on, the oil gets changed. I have it changed at the dealer $39.99 with coupon. I'm a fan of "An Ounce of Prevention is worth a Pound of Cure". Is it overkill, sure, but then again the car doesn't get driven much, condensation will start to build based on this. Maybe once a week is the car driven enough for it to get up to full temp. My Frontier has 40K on it, bought it new in August 2015, I change the oil every 5K +/- 300 miles.

post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:56 PM
Shift_Hardcore
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Garage
It's kind of like car insurance. You would rather not pay for it because you hope you'll never have to use it, but if something happens you're glad you did.

- Raine.

Keira is here.
click above for my build thread

TYPE CREW CAB SV 4x4 VTP COLOR NIGHT ARMOR LIFT 3.5"/2.5" NAME KEIRA

SUSP: Custom King Shocks . Total Chaos . Level-8 . Deaver . Nisstec . Bilstein . PRG . BF Goodrich
EXT: White Knuckle . PIAA . White Rhino . Truxedo . Firestik . Evoc . BlueSea . Morimoto . Mitsuba
A/V: DNX-892 . TWK-88 . PDX-V9 . HSK-165XL . DCX-165.3 . 2x 10TW1-4 . Dynamat . 2x Cameras
MODS: Power Tailgate Lock . Custom CB Antenna Mount . Trailer Plug Relocate . Diff Breather Mod
MORE: Midland . UltraGauge . Raingler . Working OEM SWC, Bluetooth, USB . Some Cool Stickers

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.