Oil Changes and Warranty - Page 2 - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:35 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I am in the same boat as the OP. I drive less than 7,500 miles per year. Many times when I hit 6 months I had 2,500 to 3,000 miles on the oil. I changed it at 6 months. Which means I change the oil twice a year. That is not going to break the bank. I do have short trips (less than 5 miles), and once a month a good 2 hour drive on the highway. I tend to keep vehicles 8=10 years. Changing the oil twice a year is just my way of trying to keep the engine in good condition. Have done this pretty much with all the vehicles I have owned.

I am not a lawyer, but the manual says x miles or 6 months. If I have not hit the miles, I go by the time.

2016 Pro 4x CC, Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:53 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rob, the info you provided speaks quite clearly and I should not have spoken with blanket coverage as I've not read Nissan's verbatim; I spoke from issues dealt with long ago.... Though I doubt they would hold such a cut and dry line I'd make effort to ask a Service Manager and see what kind of answer I could get directly from Nissan.

T CRO
2016 SV-VTP CC/LB 4X4 V6/AUTO
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 02:19 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Thanked 1,146 Times in 742 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
That right there where I stand, how many true oil related failures can you honestly say you are fully aware of? Oil related issues are all but nonexistent...

Another point I see is many people are downright fearful and worried that a dealer is going to VOID your warranty for some obscure and/or unrelated issue. It does not work that way but the stealership likes to let you think that it is that way. It is up the manf to PROVE that something you did or didn't do CAUSED your specific failure. The user is protected under THE MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT

I will show up with absolutely no receipts as they are not a requirement... Simply logging your maintenance records in the back of the manual is record enough... Again I'll reference the THE MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT...
Well, you can go in at 59 months and or 59K miles months with your log book, I'll go in with a log book AND a fist full of receipts. I'm not arguing the point of the condition of the oil, I'm just saying it is silly to not arm yourself with every tool you can when the dealer / manufacturer is looking at covering a multi thousand dollar engine repair.

Sean,

2011 Pro-4X CC
Overland bound #2292

See my 2011 Pro-4x build here

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 02:33 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Rob, the info you provided speaks quite clearly and I should not have spoken with blanket coverage as I've not read Nissan's verbatim; I spoke from issues dealt with long ago.... Though I doubt they would hold such a cut and dry line I'd make effort to ask a Service Manager and see what kind of answer I could get directly from Nissan.
I am with you. I am betting some that some dealers are great and people build a real relationship with them. These types of dealers I doubt will ever ask you to provide all this information. This is the kind of dealer I want. But other dealers are not as good. Honestly it is almost impossible to hold onto any receipts if you are a DIY guy. Because buying oil and filters in bulk to keep costs down makes it impossible to prove what and when it was done.

I have a dealer near me that so far has been great with warranty work. They also have $20 oil changes and I know that when it's done there they log it in. I would assume I do not need to keep my receipt at that point. Though I will probably toss them in the glove box.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thanks to all. I appreciate ALL of the opinions.
The Following User Says Thank You to bodark For This Useful Post:
Clint (02-18-2017)
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:29 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Thanked 1,146 Times in 742 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj80 View Post
I am with you. I am betting some that some dealers are great and people build a real relationship with them. These types of dealers I doubt will ever ask you to provide all this information. This is the kind of dealer I want. But other dealers are not as good. Honestly it is almost impossible to hold onto any receipts if you are a DIY guy. Because buying oil and filters in bulk to keep costs down makes it impossible to prove what and when it was done.

I have a dealer near me that so far has been great with warranty work. They also have $20 oil changes and I know that when it's done there they log it in. I would assume I do not need to keep my receipt at that point. Though I will probably toss them in the glove box.
This is what I have always done when I have been under warranty. $30, they are changing it for you, they wash your truck and if and when there is an issue, the oil change records are in their system. Easy peazy, lemon squeazy, hand me the keys to my rental, call me when it's fixed...

Sean,

2011 Pro-4X CC
Overland bound #2292

See my 2011 Pro-4x build here
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:37 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj80 View Post
.... Because buying oil and filters in bulk to keep costs down makes it impossible to prove what and when it was done....
I'm glad you came up with this thought before I threw it out there... This I believe is where the not needing receipts to document every single DIY detail came from; but honestly I don't remember if it came from a Honda, Hyundai, Kawasaki or a stinking Russian made Ural motorcycle anymore...

Hum or perhaps it was Caterpillar or EMD engines? Nope we track them by hours or gallons of fuel used...

T CRO
2016 SV-VTP CC/LB 4X4 V6/AUTO

Last edited by teecro; 02-14-2017 at 05:51 PM.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:07 PM
Shift_Newbie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealinnevada View Post
What I would do is, I think, a happy medium. I'd run the oil for a year and do the change once a year. I would buy oil and filter for a change every six months and stockpile the oil & filters in my barn. That way you only change the oil once a year, but you have receipts showing you "changed oil & filter" every six months. When the vehicle is out of warranty, you won't have to buy oil & filters for a good long while.
This is exactly what I started doing a few years ago on my low mileage truck. The warranty period ended in August and I have oil and filters for three changes sitting in my garage.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:26 PM
Shift_Enthusiast
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodark View Post
t will be used as a secondary vehicle, so I get to pick when I use it. I use another vehicle for short trips. The Frontier will only be used when necessary on trips that are long enough to thoroughly warm up the engine. Thanks for your reply.
Thoroughly warm up the engine? That's why the engine has a thermostat. In normal weather conditions it'll be at normal running temperature within a few minutes. In the winter I see sub zero temps for months and at the most it's still a few minutes to get to normal operating temperature.

2015 Pro-4X. BFG AT's, Volant intake, Optima Yellow top D34, Shrockworks Front/Rear bumpers, Shrock skid plates, Shrock sliders, Warn Zeon 8 winch, Amsteel blue synthetic winch line, BullyDog.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:20 PM
Shift_Newbie

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
So if the OP had said he drives say 2000 miles a week and it doesn't seem right that
he should have to change his oil every 3 weeks. Would it be ok for him to think...
well, the manual says 5000 miles OR 6 months so... 6 months it is? So that would be
48,000 miles?

I guess there's a reason why they say x months or x miles rather than just x miles.

I don't know what it could be , maybe breakdown of additives from combustion by-
products... something?

I guess the main question is, can you demand that they honor the warranty if you
choose to blow off their maintenance "requirements". Guess it's chance you choose
to take to save what? $20 bucks a year maintaining a $25-30,000 machine.

Maybe he's worried about wasting motor oil... I'm pretty sure they recycle it.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.